Cap on block and sill plate

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can anyone give me the code references for caps on masonry block and sill plates?

Thanks,

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: roconnor

There are many … can ya be more specific?

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Bob,

When you have open holes in masonry block, they are required to be capped. What is the code reference?

There is no sill plate on the open masonry block, the joists are resting directly on the open masonry block. What is the code reference for the sill plate?

Thanks Bob O.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rmoewe

Are the joists made from treated lumber?

When was the house built?

There should be a sill plate installed. If there is no sill plate, there is no way to bolt the foundation to the flooring system, unless the used some kind of brackets. Also sill plates should be treated lumber. This is the first defense to prevent termites from entering the framing. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

for an existing house … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Robert,

They have seemed to be getting away from the anchor bolts around here, in new construction. They are using straps that get grouted in the block, about every 4 feet. Have these changes been made to the IRC or is this a Southern Building Code?

Not used too much around my neck of the woods here near the NY coast ... generally 5/8" bolts at 4' apart are required due to high wind. Really hard to match with strap anchors ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

Thanks, That was helpful. icon_biggrin.gif