A new law that aims to keep families safe from carbon monoxide poisoning goes into effect Monday in Michigan.
Signed by Gov. Jennifer Granholm last Thursday, the “Overbeck Law” requires all new homes built in the state to have carbon monoxide detectors.
Lawmakers said the detectors must be installed within 10 feet of a bedroom, but state codes may be revised to require at least one detector on each floor of a home.
A second bill has been proposed that would require carbon monoxide detectors in Michigan hotel rooms. The bill is awaiting Granholm’s approval.
The bill is named after Patty and Gene Overbeck, who died in 2003 from carbon monoxide poisoning in their retirement home on Elk Lake in Antrim County.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, carbon monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning in the U.S. and kills more than 500 people a year.