Carbon Monoxide

This is why I always recommend carbon monoxide alarms on every inspection even if the house is all electric.

Placement is important…
I include this in my reports.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors Placement
CO detectors can monitor exposure levels, but do not place them:
Directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances, as appliances may emit a small amount of carbon
monoxide upon start-up; within 15 feet of heating and cooking appliances, or in or near very humid
areas, such as bathrooms; within 5 feet of kitchen stoves and ovens, or near areas locations where
household chemicals and bleach are stored (store such chemicals away from bathrooms and
kitchens, whenever possible);in garages, kitchens, furnace rooms, or in any extremely dusty, dirty,
humid, or greasy areas; in direct sunlight, or in areas subjected to temperature extremes. These
include unconditioned crawlspaces, unfinished attics, un-insulated or poorly insulated ceilings, and
porches; in turbulent air near ceiling fans, heat vents, air conditioners, fresh-air returns, or open
windows. Blowing air may prevent carbon monoxide from reaching the CO sensors.

Do place CO detectors:
Within 10 feet of each bedroom door and near all sleeping areas, where it can wake sleepers. The
Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Underwriters Laboratories (UL) recommend
that every home have at least one carbon monoxide detector for each floor of the home, and within
hearing range of each sleeping area;on every floor of your home, including the basement (source:
International Association of Fire Chiefs/IAFC); near or over any attached garage. Carbon monoxide
detectors are affected by excessive humidity and by close proximity to gas stoves (source: City of
New York); near, but not directly above, combustion appliances, such as furnaces, water heaters,
and fireplaces, and in the garage (source: UL); and on the ceiling in the same room as
permanently installed fuel-burning appliances, and centrally located on every habitable level, and in
every HVAC zone of the building (source: National Fire Protection Association 720). This rule
applies to commercial buildings.

That is a sad story. My wife was at their wake since she knew the family.

Jeff

Horrible. Can anyone explain to me how the keyless car has anything to do with it?

Not trying to get off subject on how this article is an example of why carbon monoxide detectors should be installed. I have a keyless/push button car, and every time I get out of the vehicle with it running and the key in my pocket, it has a loud alarm. Something else happened here if you ask me.