Carl Pennick - Needs our Prayers and Good Vibes

Carl fell off a roof today. :frowning:

I haven’t spoken to anyone in his family. I just saw the post on facebook. Looks like he received some stitches above his left eye and his left hand looks broken. This is of course not yet confirmed and the extent of his injuries is not known.

:frowning:

Hoping all is not to serious.

-Carl

That is a bummer for Carl. My prayers for you and your family/friends. Godspeed in your recovery.

That’s one of my worst fears. It enters my mind anytime im climbing a roof. I recently had back surgery (unrelated to any sustained injury during inspections), and am recovering. But, in speaking with a fellow inspector who is using drones, I decided to also purchase one and begin practicing while I’m out of work. Needless to say its fantastic. In a short 3 weeks I’m really getting used to this thing and roof climbing unless I can reach with my 14 footer and is a flat roof, is a thing of the past for me.

With that said, I hope Carl’s injuries are no worse than what has been described here so far. They’re bad enough but as long as his back isn’t injured there’s a very good chance he’ll be back working soon. Best of luck to you Carl and a very speedy and complete recovery.

Bert

Good luck Carl :slight_smile:

Just prayed.

Very sad news, stay safe out there, get well Carl.

Get well soon Carl

Get well soon Carl.

Spoke with Carl last night he is doing well, you should see the bruise on his Ego:D

Good news.
Let’s be extra careful out there.

Would Drone users please explain how you find loose unsecured roofing materials which have not shifted or slipped from their original positions?

How would anyone who doesn’t perform an exhaustive inspection of the roof find every instance of loose unsecured roofing materials which have not shifted or slipped from their original positions? The Standards of Practice expressly say the inspector is not required to (3.1 IV-K) confirm proper fastening or installation of any roof-covering material.

3.1. Roof
I. The inspector shall inspect from ground level or the eaves:
[INDENT]
[LIST=A]
[li]the roof-covering materials;[/li][li]the gutters;[/li][li]the downspouts;[/li][li]the vents, flashing, skylights, chimney, and other roof penetrations; and[/li][li]the general structure of the roof from the readily accessible panels, doors or stairs.[/li][/LIST]
II. The inspector shall describe:

[LIST=A]
[li]the type of roof-covering materials.[/li][/LIST]
III. The inspector shall report as in need of correction:

[LIST=A]
[li]observed indications of active roof leaks.[/li][/LIST]
IV. The inspector is not required to:

[LIST=A]
[li]walk on any roof surface.[/li][li]predict the service life expectancy.[/li][li]inspect underground downspout diverter drainage pipes.[/li][li]remove snow, ice, debris or other conditions that prohibit the observation of the roof surfaces.[/li][li]move insulation.[/li][li]inspect antennae, satellite dishes, lightning arresters, de-icing equipment, or similar attachments.[/li][li]walk on any roof areas that appear, in the opinion of the inspector, to be unsafe.[/li][li]walk on any roof areas if it might, in the opinion of the inspector, cause damage.[/li][li]perform a water test.[/li][li]warrant or certify the roof.[/li][li]confirm proper fastening or installation of any roof-covering material.[/li][/LIST]
[/INDENT]

They would blow off if loose . just kidding :wink: or am i

I walk many roofs as well. My inference to using drones mostly applies to roofs with either no access or clearly dangerous to climb.

Now you explain how walking a roof, you, are able to find “every single” instance of loose unsecured roofing materials which have not shifted or slipped from their original positions? :roll:

Personally, I know what you are alluding to but your logic is flawed simply because walking a roof in most instances “discovers” nothing.

Crawl the attic, that’s where you’ll find most problems which are not readily visible from the top.

Bert

Carl, get well soon.

Thank you!

Bert

Carl please let us know if you need anything. Feel better!

Right, Joe. You’re the poster boy for CMI, right?

What a joke! A CMI hiding behind the S.O.P. and reciting it here as if no one has read it.

And who besides you and Bert mentioned finding EVERY instance? That is not the purpose.

My point is that binoculars, drones, etc. cannot find loose unsecured materials. Often times it takes hands to do that.

The more of these posts I see from ‘CMIs’ continue to water down the essence of what the diluted CMI designation is supposed to mean.

OK, attest to 1,000 inspections and pay $1,000 and suddenly you’re such a ‘master’.

So Pete, are there any roofs you do not climb? Do you have limitations in climbing roofs? And if so, would you think a drone or binoculars would be better than nothing at all? Or do you prefer to simply tell your client, sorry I can’t see the top side of your roof because its too dangerous to climb? You think a drone or even binoculars would be useful for those instances? Or maybe the “spectroscope” which is sold on Inspector Outlet? Do these instruments have a purpose and a place within our inspection arsenal?

Bert