Carrying my TR1

Emailed Fluke about a holster, and they don’t have one and offered no advice.
How does everyone carry their TR1 or TR on home inspections?
I’m looking for a good confident way to holster my imager on my tool belt.
Getting sick of going up ladders one-handed.
Anyone’s comments would be appreciated.

I use a Bucket Boss Holsterfor my FLIR BCam. It’s a few bucks cheaper than the FLIR Holster. :shock::shock: Other options here:

In the fire service, the IR cameras are much heavier than what we use for home inspections. There was a rumors that a version of this: http://www.nafeco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=RT2-4022 was made for heavy cameras since going up and down ladders is a concern for the fire service.

Telling you this for two reasons. It might be an answer to your question, plus if you find the heavier duty version, can you reply please. I want one for my fire gear.

Tom

I have rigged the carry strap that came with it for the soft case, to the camera. It allows me to carry it around my neck. Works okay most of the time. Have thought about a holster, but have not had time to search for one. Not sure the TiR1 would fit in the one shown above, though for 12 bucks it would be worth a shot.

The big box stores have a type of bungee cord carrier device for heavy cordless drills. The holder clips onto you belt, the bungee slips around the handle of the drill and there is a ball and socket type connecter/holder that you hang the drill from. Cheap, very small and comes with several of the bungee hooks per card. I use one for my cordless, works great. The drill just dangles from your tool belt. Then when you need it, swivel it up and out of the socket. Look for it over in the tool section of the store.

I just carry it under my armpit. Smelly, but it works. :mrgreen:

For TiR or TiR1, I’ve seen a camera carrying strap around the neck with a 1" key ring attached.

The key ring goes through ring on TiR. Hangs around guys neck like a regular camera would. He keeps it on his side out of the way.

Good idea.

I would not advise anyone to wear a strap around their neck while doing inspections.

Especially if you are climbing a ladder or going into attics and crawl spaces where you could get caught up by your neck strap.

BK,
Is there a personal story here you want to share with us? :mrgreen:

Doug…I really like the bungee cord device you described above. I was just looking at those yesterday at Lowe’s and started to buy one but didn’t. I think I’ll get one for my pistol grip flashlight though. I hang it from a caribiner type fastener now but the one described would work even better I think.

I worked for a long time as a contractor building Semi Conductor plants, we all wore lanyards with badges.

Well until some one in Texas (Austin??) strung himself up, high in the piping of a N2 plant by his lanyard. :frowning:

After that all neck lanyards had some sort of release gizmo, Velcro or plastic pop out thingy.

But if someone wants to wear a rope around their neck while climbing around a house during an inspection, fine with me.

That is the reason I asked. All of us at one time or another have had a life’s experience that teaches us critical thinking is for even the every day mundane things we often take for granted. People all the time ask me why I don’t wear a wedding band. When I was flying in the Navy we were always around extremely high voltages, moving machinery and things that would remove a finger in about a nanosecond. I think HI is pretty much the same way and in some cases just as dangerous. Most accidents are a result of operator error or technique, occasionally equipment design of flaws and even occasionally due to someone higher up insisting on having their way. We used to have a saying; Most of the rules written in the safety manuals are written in someone’s blood.

Exactly Doug, I would never have thought twice about wearing a lanyard around my neck before.

I don’t like the thought of $7k ($16K in my case) hanging from a string around my neck. I have had too many broken items (almost my neck) from them.

I use three at a time, but they are to keep stuff from falling out of their holder (a back up device only).

I have had my IR Camera jump out of it’s holster too (but was not a long way down).

Yeah, so simple but I bet the guy that invented it is laying on a beach somewhere sipping a drink with an umbrella in it and laughing…right next to the guy that invented the Pet rock. It has worked well for me and is cheap enough to toss out if it breaks or until something better comes along.