CCPIA is sponsoring Exterior Design Institute (EDI) Seminar in Norfolk, VA March 7-8, 2020

Any members of InterNACHI or CCPIA attending? Information about the event can be found here: https://exterior-design-inst.com/training/live-seminars.html?id=49

CCPIA Instructor Ron Huffman will be there.

Tried the link, got a red-screen malware warning.

Also, they’re a part of InterNachi, so I know I can ask this: have them do a course on common defects with exterior cement fiber siding systems. Especially the panel systems, like Nichiha or Cembrit. Can’t tell you how many defects I find with these systems.

If I had the time, I’d call each manufacturer and show them some of the horror photos in my collection, and ask them straight up, are you guys ok with how these folks are installing your system.

In fact I’m going to go on a rant. The problem I see almost everywhere with these systems is that the architect specifies a specific system, like Rieder Oko, or Hardie, or Nichiha, and then the builder very slyly writes a letter to the architect saying “the product specified in the drawings is on backorder, can we use brand Z”, and he conveniently leaves out any mention of the barrier underlayment, track system, or method of attachment, and then they totally go cheap with a plain Cembrit panel and either partial Easytrim systems or (even worse) just nail it to shim stock that was stapled to the sheathing. The owner ends up with a vastly inferior final product that no one will stand behind: the builder will say the installation warranty ends in 12 months, and panel manufacturer will say “they only used our panel, so we can warranty the panel for 30 years, but not if it falls off the building at any point, and not if moisture gets behind it, because none of our track systems were used.”

It is a shameful, runaway train that will come back to haunt all these building owners in a few years.

I will be there, looking forward to it.

1 Like

Like Darren … I’ve tried the Exterior Design Institute website 3 days in a row and get a red-screen malware warning … See Below Message

The site ahead contains malware

Attackers currently on pixelapn.adsprofitnetwork.com might attempt to install dangerous programs on your computer that steal or delete your information (for example, photos, passwords, messages, and credit cards). Learn more

Weird. It is working for me.

But, I’ll send them an email as an FYI.