Certification Test

So I renewed my certification today. Can we PLEASE get somebody review and CORRECT these tests? Which one of these is a liquid? a) A pot of boiling water b) Ice c) Water. Well, gee, I could have picked a or c, but what is the answer that InterNACHI considers correct? There are numerous test questions throughout the certification tests that have more than one answer or contradict the study material that goes with it or tests on things beyond the Standards of Practice.

3 Likes

IMO, they are inferring that A is in vapor/gas form, so C would be the answer the are looking for… as the BEST answer, which follows the same methodology that the NHIE follows.

8 Likes

The ambiguity of the test mimics what the state will test. The BEST answer is the right one. In your example question, just like a state test, you can throw out one answer right away. Ice is not a liquid. You are left to choose the BEST one of two remaining answers. As JJ pointed out it is C. All multiple choice tests are like this. Just be glad you don’t have to write an essay in a blue book.

2 Likes

I recently took the ICC R5 tests and there were several questions that, arguably, have two correct answers. I, too, find that annoying.

This is indeed a tough question but an important one for building science and understanding how to inspect a home.

There are many states or phases for matter and they depend on temperature and pressure. On your test question:
A) boiling water is in the evaporation state
b) Ice is in the solid state
c) water is in the liquid state

Understanding this is important in building science because moisture (water) moves around the home and into and out of walls and from floor to floor and thru the roof. Many home defects are related to poor moisture management whether it is liquid (rain, ground water, plumbing leaks) or gas (humidity) or in between phases as condensation can build up on surfaces or structure and slowly ruin them.

here is a diagram of various states (phases) of mater

2 Likes

Burt,

Yes, I understand the differing states of WATER, but the boiling WATER still has WATER. Yes, SOME of it is steam (evaporation) but the WATER part still constitutes a correct answer for the question.