Certified Canadian Home Inspector (CCHI)

Hey Brianiac,

When are you going to step up to the plate?

Ok Brian this line of questioning has got to stop. I have worked my butt off to get where I am today. The peer reveiw was very good and afterwords we were able to sit down and discuss how I could do things different to smooth out my verbage and my inspection. I not only got a very critical reveiw done but I learned alot in the process. I would love to do another one just so I could continue learning. Seems like you know it all so maybe it seems redundant but that is how us real inspectors learn. not from sitting behind a desk and bad talking everyone. Get the hell off this thread and go back to the rock you crawled out from under. By the way, thanks everyone for your kind words.

So this thread went from Vern congradulating me to this!! Sad really sad. And all because Brian couldn’t keep his mouth shut and just be happy that Inspectors are doing the right thing and getting the proper training and reveiws to make them better

As I have said before…the process set up in Alberta lacks badly…

For either CMI’s or RHI’s and the Peer review…I ask:

Are there common, agreed upon criteria set up on how to conduct a “Peer review” and what to include in a review? Were any of the people that spent a few years setting up the NCA/NCH TIPR process consulted about how that fared for them…recommendations, do’s and don’ts?

Without a well thought out and standardized process, will all peer reviews essentially be equal when conducted by a different person of undetermined testing/reviewing capabilities?

Has any of the above designated reviewers ever been trained in conducting a peer review or anything akin to it?

Is and will every CMI/RHI be truly competent in conducting a peer review? (Is every licensed tradesperson a good teacher of the trade?)

How were the houses chosen that the inspector had their inspection skills tested on. Was it just a regular inspection of an average or possibly above average house? For example, from what I saw, the houses chosen for the NCH TIPR’s were fairly run down with many problems…an inspector had to know his stuff to pick up all of the worst problems in them. How will an inspection of a regular house in fairly good condition test the inspector’s skills.

The questions go on and on.

You always seem extremely interested in what where and how NACHI does things why no join and you might see what goes on .
You might be able to help or add some thing to improve our industry.
You come in with your demands and wonder why many do not feel they need your challenges when you have little knowledge with with is happening in our association.

So we have an “association” whose members have to work with the general public every day and now, in some jurisdictions, be observant of government/public regulations claiming it is secretive and hiding how it does things from the public and the government…HUH!!!

So I take your post to mean you do not want to be part of NACHI and help our industry to improve and help direct the future .

Can you tell us why you do not want to help all.

There is a set criteria and checklist set up for all peer reveiws. It has been scutinized and accepted by the government.

Roy…I think you are not fully understanding this guy and his psychotic obsession regarding our association.

Do you really … honestly … believe that this object of his hate that we know as NACHI will ever be able to do anything right? He has been slapped and beaten into the role of a cuckold and can only watch as more and more Canadian members feast on what he wants to believe to be something that is (or was) exclusively his.

He is to be laughed at or, perhaps, pitied … but never to be taken seriously. There is nothing that you can say that will change his mind. He is preparing arguments against NACHI long before the questions are ever asked.

Your responses to him empower him. The ignore button, however, renders him to be even more impotent than he already is.

He represents the last of “No NACHI” bottom feeders who no longer have anyplace to go. Kill him with your ignore button and end his suffering.

And I pleasantly thought you had me on “Ignore”!!!

Like they have done a great job so far???

Like you would know sitting down east on your throne, dictating, and second guessing.

Why do all the trees west of Nova Scotia lean east?

Cause Brian sucks!

Get a life.

Sorry Brian I added what you forgot thanks for your post … Roy

( I , )

Just out of curiosity Brian, Where did you originally do your peer review, I bet there was no peer review or structure when you got into the HI industry,
so how are things worse in the industry now compared to the past, why is there 2 standards of the past and the present, and what is your official HI education, Carson Dunlop , none , these are fair questions, you are like a mystery, although very outspoken, give me all the answers, before the day you performed your first paid inspection, I am very serious of this question, dont put down new HIs who are working hard to become a professional, in the past all you needed was a card and a flashlight to call yourself an HI, those days are over, why do you seem so disturbed by this, even you, have to admit things are moving in the right direction, things may not be perfect , but there was a time not to long ago, when there were no prerequisites to be a home inspector. the peer review thing ,I agree can be a conflict of interest , but what else is there, 20 years ago ,a local college had put together a new home technician program, and I was contacted to do peer reviews for the students, yeh right I thought, competition, but at the end of the day, I gave an honest fair review , I think deep down most HIs doing the peer review, will do so with integrity, Congrats Greg.

Thanks Christopher. I love the points you made. Even when I started two years ago I found out very quikly that you needed nothing but a sign on your truck to be a home inspector. I also found out that insurance was not required. The poor unsuspecting home owners of the world were relying on “professionals” not knowing that they may have gotten the job because the realtor is the inspectors best friend. With the licensing, At least it will weed out some of these inspectors. My peer reveiw was very well done as I said before. I could not access the two story roof so I used Bino’s and my camera. After the inspection Fritz was able to show me a couple of things about the roof that I could have missed by just using bino’s. He has a pole mounted video camera that he uses instead. I give alot of credit to the way the peer review criteria was set up by Vern and Steve as they took alot of time reveiwing and rewriting it so that all bases were covered. The home is inspected by the applicant but also by the CMI. That way if anything may have been missed it can be pointed out and reveiwed as to why. Excellent job to all that worked on the peer reveiw.

I know that Nick and some others do not believe in the value of peer Reviews, but I feel they are the best way to gauge a person’s abilities and knowledge in the field.

Maybe Vern or someone else can answer this, because I’m sure it’s on the minds of many waiting for their PR. If someone such as Greg were to be unsuccessful in their Peer Review, (and thank heavens he was not) is there a mechanism available for him/her to retake the Peer Review, and is there a waiting period and an additional fee?

Thanks
Bill Mullen

Yes, the CMI can state what they are lacking on the form. Let’s say they did poorly on the electrical, the CMI may ask that the applicant take the Nachi electrical course. Once complete they must show proof and then reveiwed by the CMI. The applicant will need to perform another TIPR to prove his merit. It is to the descrtion of the CMI what the charge is for this.

Interesting that your reviewer permitted you to use binoculars.

I know for a fact that one member of the OAHI Admissions Review report verifier would fail those that did not walk the roof, even though the SOP does not require inspectors to walk roof.

Glad to hear someone in Alberta doing the reviews has common sense and latitude in the review process.

I find it so strange how some who are not NACHI members are so interested in what is going on at NACHI .
These persons have refused to answer questions or give much information .
So sad we all want what is best for our industry .
There should be have been open communications and help to all.
Unfortunately the secret self appointed group have and still ridicule NACHI and what has gone on.
I do hope they soon understand what is happening and try and improve and open up to make things better for all Homies every where .
They all seem to come to NACHI and ask questions and want us to supply them with answers .
Their continuing bragging about how great they are and how theirs is the only way is wrong and it is time for them to change .
A simple apology from them would be great .

A big thanks to our Alberta Homies for the way you are handling this … Roy

Thanks, Greg:

I appreciate your prompt, respectful and thorough response. I am meeting with Vern Mitchinson tomorrow and we have a lot to discuss.

Bill Mullen RHI; PHPI; NHI
NHICC NHI#00001
NHICC Director of External Relations