Certified Drone Pilot Training Course

There are several different classifications of airspace. The different classifications of airspace are determined by altitude either about sea level or above ground level. The biggest airspace is class A, which is any airspace above 18000 above mean sea level.

When flight was first achieved by the wright brothers it seemed to advance at a quick pace. So quickly that the government had to devise new ways to regulate it to keep people and property safe. Before long there were several different departments that were developed to keep airplane safety in check.

Effects of weight on an aircraft are many. Generally more weight equals a lower performance. For a drone this can me slower flight speed, difficulty gaining altitude and shorter battery life. It can also effect the balance and center of gravity which will alter how the aircraft handles.

It is important to understand density altitude and its effe on flight characteristics when a pilot is flight planning. It is pressure altitude corrected for nonstandard temperature. Low density altitude will increase flight performance high density altitude will decreased flight performance. High temperatures, higher elevations and heavy loads all contributed to high density altitude.

I found the chapter to be extremely helpful even though I already hold an FAA part 107 certificate. The information within was very detailed and it help me re-educate myself on a number of important factors.
Although a number of these topics will never come up in a UA *** operation its important to become familiar with them anyway

Having a well planned flight plan can help to evaluate risks and minimize hazards. By executing a properly planned flight in the event of a problem it will be easier to deal with and minimize any risks. Proper planning and execution will reduce risks and make you a better pilot.

The chapter (4) "entitled “, Principles of Flight”, gives an overview of the laws of physics that are the governing forces acting upon an aircraft in flight. This chapter also speaks to the nature of atmosphere and the gasses contained within as a type of fluid and the properties to which fluids are accustomed to. Contained within this chapter are detailed figures to demonstrate how lift via the shape of the wings foil are achieved through lift. Lift is created due to the shape of the wing forcing the pressure above the wing to be lower than that below allowing the aircraft to rise.

For my essay I read chapter 15 titled airspace. In this chapter I learned about the different categories and types of airspace which make up the skies. Before taking this course and reading this chapter I had no idea of the complexity of airspace travel. This chapter was very informative but easy to understand.

Airspace:

There are two categories of air space: regulatory and nonregulatory. Within these two categories are four types: controlled, uncontrolled, special use, and other airspace.
The categories are dictated by the complexity or density of aircraft movements.
Controlled airspace consist of:
Class A
Class B
Class C
Class D
Class E
Class A - D usually surround airports whereas Class E is controlled airspace that covers a large amount of airspace over the United States.
Prohibited areas and restricted areas were developed for safety and national welfare reasons.

Weather is something everyone talks about, but usually we don’t do much about it. From a drone operator standpoint, it is important to not overlook weather conditions that could affect your drone flight.

Chapter 12 of the FAA pilot handbook covered weather issues from the aeronautical concern viewpoint. As remote PICs operating small drones for inspection purposes, it may be easy for one to overlook weather conditions that may affect performance or control of the drone. This is a mistake that may expose your drone to accidents to personnel, property and/or itself. The conditions that affect larger manned planes can certainly affect our smaller drones.

Of particular concern is weather conditions in Florida (where I live). Weather can change abruptly going from calm, with little wind to quick approaching thunderstorms. Heat lighting can occur without attendant rainfall. Such lightning can easily knock out a drone flying a few hundred feet up. Paying attention to weather conditions and making contingency plans is the prudent path to pursue.

Other concerns involve the potential effects of air rising at different rates over hot asphalt roads and parking lots that are situated next to trees or grassy areas. A drone may be temporarily affected in flight should air rising at different rates from the ground or air blocked by trees is involved. These conditions may cause small areas of unexpected turbulence.(and potential loss of drone control)

From a small plane pilot perspective, weather conditions over a long distance need to be carefully considered to maximize fuel & flight efficiency and avoid turbulence. For short duration drone flights, we must also consider the weather conditions that occur for the duration of the flight.

Overall, I learned not to overlook even small details regarding weather conditions when planning to use a drone. We may talk about the weather, and may be unable to change it, but we sure can make corrections in our drone flight plans based on what we observe.

The issue of weight is important when flying a sUAS. you must be careful not to overload your sUAS which will cause maneuverabilty problems including, harder takeoff and landing, cornering ability and handling. To much weight can also cause your sUAS to stall at slower speeds and crash. Also important is properly centering the weight at the center of gravity (CG) and balancing the weight with the Center of Pressure (CP). When the weight is balanced between the CG and CP, you can carry a larger load with better handling.

Balance, Stability, and Center of Gravity - I found it interesting that an object that is in the air still has a center of gravity and that just like pulling a trailer, if there is too much weight at the rear the piolt may not be able to control the plane.

The Chapter I chose was Aeronautical Decision Making (ADM). As the Chapter states, ADM is a systematic approach to risk assessment and stress management. It talks about how to make good decisions based on mitigating the risk factors
associated with flight.

Principles of flight;the concept of lift was discussed in the 1600’s as basic physical laws were developed, Newton’s three laws, Bernoullis mechanics, lead to airfoil design which has continued developing even today all based on the understanding of natural conditions of pressure, temperature, moisture and density.

1 Like

I read about aeronautical decision making. In this chapter I learned that for the last 25 years good decision making has been recognized as critical for safe operation. The importance of this was necessary to reduce accidents caused by human failure.

Decision making and judgement (ADM) is Aeronautical Decision-Making for aviation.

The steps for good decision-making are:

1. Identifying personal attitudes hazardous to safe flight.
  2. Learning behavior modification techniques.
  3. Learning how to recognize and cope with stress.
  4. Developing risk assessment skills.
  5. Using all resources.
  6. Evaluating the effectiveness of ones ADM skills.

Although I am not planing to become an airline pilot, just flying my drone for roof inspections, I found this was a chapter that can be applied to many facets of life, including home inspecting.

After largely ignoring low-altitude airspace for years, the rise of consumer drones has the FAA saying it controls all airspace down to the ground. Here’s a look at the altitudes at which various aircraft fly. By Jack Nicas

Communities across the country are grappling with a surge in drone use thats raising safety and privacy concernsand thorny legal questionsabout a slice of sky officials have largely disregarded.

State and local police say complaints are soaring about drones flying above homes, crowds and crime scenes. At least 17 states, meanwhile, have passed laws to restrict how law enforcement and private citizens use the devicespreemptive policies that many drone users say are heavy-handed. And despite federal regulators stance that they alone regulate U.S. skies, some cities and towns are banning the devices, from St. Bonifacius, Minn. (pop. 2,283), to Austin, Texas, which effectively barred them at the South by Southwest technology-and-music festival in March.

Its a game changer, said Richard Beary, president of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, who complains that local law enforcement lacks the means or legal authority to do much about the emerging drone challenge. Weve never been responsible for airspace before. We understand the ground game; now all of a sudden you want state and local to regulate airspace?

Indeed, few have paid much attention to the airspace within a few hundred feet above the ground. Since 1930, planes have been largely restricted from flying below 500 feet, leaving lower altitudes mostly to birds, kites, model planes and, in some cases, helicopters.

In recent years, technology advances have made remote-controlled aircraft cheaper, more powerful and easier to fly, and now tens of thousands of the devices are cluttering that band of sky. Use is expected to soar further next year, when proposed federal rules for commercial drone flights are likely to be completed.

Those commercial rules dont address private use by individuals, where some of the most vexing issues lie, such as how to prevent people from using drones to spy into neighbors windows, or flying them into manned aircraft. Those issues are falling into a regulatory no-mans land.

The Federal Aviation Administration restricts private drones from flying near airports and manned aircraft, but says a 2012 federal law limits it from regulating most other aspects of their use. The agency also says that state and local authorities cant regulate drone flights because it is the sole regulator of the airspace.

Local officials are acting anyway. In addition to the 17 states that have passed drone laws, at least 29 others are considering new legislation. The result is a patchwork: Texas, North Carolina and Idaho restrict drone users from filming some bystanders without permission, while Illinois bans drones from interfering with hunters.

Some cities and towns are barring drones outright, particularly ahead of big events. Augusta-Richmond County in Georgia banned the devices during the Masters golf tournament there last month. New York City Council members are considering a ban on virtually any drone flight over the city. And the manager of San Franciscos Golden Gate Bridge has asked lawmakers to restrict private drones after one crashed on the bridge.

Northampton, Mass., has challenged the FAA with a resolution declaring that local landowners control the 500 feet above their property. The town cites a 1946 Supreme Court ruling, in a case involving North Carolina chicken farmers angry about flights overhead, that landowners have exclusive control over the immediate reaches above their land.

1 Like

The atmosphere is an envelope of air that surrounds the earth and rests upon it’s surface. The atmosphere is composed of 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen and 1 percent of other gases. Most of the atmospheres oxygen is contained below 35,000 feet altitude.

The troposphere is the layer of the atmosphere closest to the Earth. It extends approximately 7 miles, or 11 km above sea level, but is thicker at the equator and thinner at the poles. This layer contains 75% of our atmosphere’s mass and 99% of atmospheric water vapor.

Chapter 12: Weather Theory. A home inspector using a UAV must check the weather prior to flying. They should research the current weather conditions specifically the wind speed and direction, clouds, rain, and any upcoming storms. The inspector should look for structures that could redirect the wind patterns such as a tree or large building.