Certified Master Inspector Curriculum develops in New York.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

game) may allow a student to pass an exam, but doesn’t help the student truly understand… like the CMI course will.

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

It is an obtainable, recognized, trademarked designation of NACHI

I don’t believe it is set in stone, but it is planned for 3 days prio to the convention. Orginally 4 days, but 3 days was settled upon-

I am not marketing it but Best Inspectors Network has posted it: web site is

http://www.bestinspectors.net

I am sure within the next 3-5 days it will be announced directly with the actual price, time sequence, schedule, etc. If you have any questions, please contact George Wells as Best Inspectors network at the web site above!

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

bmerrell wrote:
It is an obtainable, recognized, trademarked designation of NACHI

For Only $1050

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

While there may be a CMI Board, their recommendations were, and are exploratory, in nature. The course curriculum is still up to debate. Things are far than cast in stone.

One thing is for sure, simply taking a course for some will not qualify them for the designation. As I stated, there will be a combination of requirements.

There will be no prerequsite for some inspectors with acceptable years of experience and/or education to be eligible. The CMI designation is a marketing tool, and marks an achieved level of excellence in this industry. There will be no requirement to participate, and those who do, have no more clout, standing, nor status within this organization than the next NACHI member, whether a CMI or not.

Originally Posted By: lewens

I guess free education for NACHI members just went out the window.

Larry

Originally Posted By: lewens

Lets see if I get this correct. If I take the course and I am not a NACHI member it costs x minus $289.00 if I become a member, but if I am a member I only get $100.00 off the cost of the course???

Larry

Upcoming classes:
Jan 31 - Feb 03, 2006
Orlando, FL

The Certified Master Inspector? (CMI) certification is the highest credential obtainable in the home inspection industry. This advanced course leading to the Certified Master Inspector? (CMI) certification is for the experienced home inspector. Prior to attending this course, you should have the equivalent of 60 hours of training or five years experience as an inspector. Advanced topics include all technical aspects of home inspections and non-technical aspects of the home inspection, such as legal issues. The course includes books and study materials. The CMI exam will be given at the conclusion of the course.
CMI certification is only available through the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors (NACHI),
the world's largest home inspector association. Non-members will receive their first year's membership in NACHI free with this course. The January 31-February 03 class also includes admission to the NACHI annual convention to be held that weekend. The convention will also include additional free training opportunities.

Instructors and contributors for the Orlando CMI course are from MSI International Inc.'s BestInspectors.Net (Toledo, Ohio), Midwest Inspector's Institute (Leavenworth, Kansas), Morrell Institute (Long Island, New York) and NACHI. This is a NACHI CMI Board approved course.
Seating is Limited and is on a first-come first-served basis.

Register early. 35 Hours (4 Days) $1050

jfarsetta wrote:

One thing is for sure, simply taking a course for some will not qualify them for the designation. As I stated, there will be a combination of requirements.

Joe F:

Not according to these Vendors and the NACHI CMI Board. You appear to be out of the loop.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

As Joe Farsetta stated , it will be a beta test in Orlando, Florida. George Wells has published it on his site, and I made that information available to you. The price should be 495, not over 1000. I may be reading it wrong, but his site states $ 495 for NACHI members.

This is the same site that Nick announced over 2 months ago with George, regarding the CMI.

I further agree with Joe that having or not having a CMI will not fracture the organization, nor will it cause one to be on a new level. It is a marketing tool. The realtors and appraisers have been successfully utilizing these designations for multiple years and have profited by same. NACHI, under Nicks direction wants NACHI members to be permitted to use a trademarked designation.

It is my understanding that the books/materials are included in this price. The exam is included in this price as well. This substantially changes the cost basis, but it is certainly not $ 1000 for this 3 day course. If $ 1000 was listed I must believe it was either a misprint, a typo or one of the other courses George Wells offers via his school.

I know that there will be several requirements to obtaining your CMI, and prerequisite experience is one of them. NACHI staff offices will have a packet to send out regarding this. I hope, if it is the intent to offer the program is is officially announced shortly, before everyone going to the conference gets their airline tickets booked.

http://www.bestinspectors.net

The teaching has not been finalized, but there are NOT to date, multiple vendors offering this course independently. There were multiple appointed cmi committee persons at the original meeting including Tom Lauhon, George Wells, myself, Len Ungar, Joe Ferry, and Deanne from NACHI.

The CMI course is listed on the site above. Check the pricing. See what is does or does not include. Contact George Wells via e-mail to verify the prices and dates and times.

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

If I’m not mistaken, Nick has already given permission for members to use the CMI designation at their descretion for marketing purposes.

Is this priviledge being revoked or am I mistaken about this?

If that is true, then 6 of us who spent 5 days working on a program did alot of work for nothing. The intent of the CMI was that it would be achieved based upon experience, education and testing.

The CMI Committee persons in attendance were:

Bill Merrell (Me)
Deanna Wills- NACHI Staff
Joe Ferry, Esquire- NACHI Counsel
George Wells- Fellow Educator
Tom Lauhon- Fellow Educator
Len Unger- LI NACHI President

Nick posted this in October and November and a slightly different version of information was in the Quarterly newsletter. There will be a CMI course at the conference. George Wells web site describes it.

Hope this information is sufficient. If I gave up 5 days of work and part of my time off for a committee that didn't matter, I would not be very happy- We will see how the future of the CMI plays out.

CMI is not about the Membership.

CMI is about Schools profiting from a program at the expense of the Membership.

The price on the site was $1050 last night.

Today the advertised price is $495.

What will tomorrow bring?

Originally Posted By: mboyett

bmerrell wrote:
If I gave up 5 days of work and part of my time off for a committee that didn't matter, I would not be very happy- We will see how the future of the CMI plays out.
Bill, get over it! (BTW, that's an inside joke so don't get all bent ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif))

Mike, I get it-

To stay on this message board, I have had to get over it well before now.

Joe-

I am sure the number was wrong. I am not doubting you. All I can say is that I was told it was being put on George Wells web site and I announced it. I know the committee wanted to keep the price down, including the exam and books. Maybe the web was updated later than they thought. I really don't know how someone elses site is updated when I don;t have any dealing with George Wells company.

I don't see how schools are going to profit from this when it is a NACHI course, and we volunteered to be at the committee meeting. I didn't ask for a dime and didn't want a dime. To profit from a course, you would assume that it will be marketed, however other than the message board, it hasn't been announced publically.

Can't even tell if it will run or have enough students. Time will determine this situation. If enough NACHI members are interested it will run, if not the course will not happen. That's the situation before us.

Originally Posted By: dduffy

bmerrell wrote:

I don't see how schools are going to profit from this when it is a NACHI course, and we volunteered to be at the committee meeting. I didn't ask for a dime and didn't want a dime. To profit from a course, you would assume that it will be marketed, however other than the message board, it hasn't been announced publically.

Bill,

What would your school charge, if for some reason you offered the course at your school?

Just a ball park figure.

Am too busy with the state courses. I am planning for those who need to be licensed. I am involved with the 140 hour program mandated by New York State for those who wish to be come licensed.

What would I charge for a CMI Course? I would need to determine several facts first.
1. I would need to have it state approved in New York for CE Credit
2. I would need to set up instructors for such as course
3. I would have to market the program

Honestly, it would not pay to offer it in New York at this point. Sorry I could not have been of more help to you in your quest for what I would charge. But the cost you would incur to take it in New York would far exceed anything that would be charged by my school.

I would recommend you take it at the convention, if you are going to save yourself money associated with multiple airlines tickets.

If Nick doesn't advertise it, then it is a moot point. The Committee had done its job, and set up an outline and parameters. I do believe it will be a value added for members who want it, and it will not harm those who do not want it.

Have a great weekend.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

As previously stated, and supported by Bill’s statements, CMI is coming in one form or another. Joe Hagarty is entitled to his opinion, but the plain truth is that so long as it does not affect another member’s status within this organization (which it wont), and it can be used by SOME who will undoubtedly seek the designation as a marketing tool for one’s business and for additional training (which is always a good thing), well then Joe shouldnt really care. It does not come at a “cost” to the membership of this organization. It will come with an associated price for anyone who wishes to use the designation.

It is a matter of business, rather than membership. It is not required for any/all member benefits. It is of much interest to some. It is of no interest to others. It has no affect on membership requirements. It will count towards NACHI CEUs, whether approved in individual states or not.

Anyone who purchased a franchise is keenly aware of the business benefits that can come along with being a franchisee. That's the reason franchises are generally purchased. Other than for marketing and support, what does a franchise really get you? I can argue why NOT to buy a franchise, but my argument would be weak for anyone who sees the advantage of pursuing that avenue.

CMI is a registered trademark of this organization. It is an asset. It was done so for a purpose. That purpose is to give NACHI inspectors whatever advantage possible over enother inspector in the marketplace. All NACHI members should thank Nick for having the foresight to do something like this.

It is a good thing. Any NACHI member who believes it to be bogus may be right. That does not preclude those who wish to pursue the designation for just as valid a reason, and from their standpoing, be just as correct.

As I stated, time will tell...

Originally Posted By: rmyers1

Confused ?

It would appear Dr. Merrell of the Merrell Institute, is already using the CMI title, as it appears on his profile on the NACHI National Convention site , or am I not reading correctly,

Reply to Russell,

I am not using the CMI designaton. It does not appear on any of my web sites. I was told that I was listed as a Certified Master Inspector. What should be listed is Cerified Master Inspector Committee Member.

I don't control the web site. I saw it after it was posted. It states my topic will be ofn the CMI designation. Not that I have been granted the designation to date.

I am not teaching the CMI in Orlando, Florida. I simply helped write the program, outline and examination. I told the membership about it, after receiving many e-mails. Nick had also publicized it. Some are happy about it and others are not in favor of it.

I am a volunteer. I have done what was asked of me. It is up to NACHI to decide if they want to run with it, or not. Not my call.

NY State has recently passed merit on my program for Modules # 1, 2, 3, 4 and finalizing Module # 5. I should have an approval code this week.

For me the CMI was and is a great idea, but it is not mine, the trademark is NACHI's and the decision to run a course at the convention or not is Nicks. I would like to see the CMI succeed, mainly with the many hours I spent helping to design it. This can be verified by the CMI Committee.

I can tell you the price that was discussed for the CMI course and exam was $ 495 including books for NACHI members. It was not $ 1050. I never printed anything other than the $ 495.00 price. Realistically, unless the CMI course and exam is marketed asap, it will probably not occur in Orlando, Florida prior to the convention. Not enough time to market it properly to the members!

What is more important to me is in the form of a question, as follows: Would you take a course and pass a test to earn a designation in this profession? If you answered, YES, contact Nachi Staff and let them know this, and they will get the literature out to you regarding a potential future course. If you are not interested in obtaining a CMI designation, then the entire thread is of no interest to the non interested NACHI member.

Have a great week.

Bill