Change of career...

I don’t count draw inspections as inspections - they are just gas money (or beer money). If people are counting them in that poll, then that would skew the intent of the question and the results, I think - but that’s just one man’s opinion.

I’m not saying that people don’t fail. I am saying that proportionally few of those who plan well and work hard fail. It is no harder in this business than any other (at least not here) and stats across all small businesses suggest that it is more business sense than inspection-related.

Welcome to the real world I mess up frequently.
I am lucky as I can still do the roofs duck walk the CS and I think I have most of my factuality’s .
My wife does all inspections with me and she might dispute that I am not a bit senile.

… Cookie
</IMG></IMG>

What brings you to Northeast Ohio? It is not the healthiest of place to move to. The economy is down, income taxes are high, the job market is not the greatest, but the cost of living is not unreasonable. Just curious as to why you would pick this area over anywhere else in the States.:frowning:

My wife’s family are from that area, and we want to be close to them…in fact, we’ll be living with them for a few months initially, until we find our feet.

Bournemouth is very wealthy, but the cost of living is high. I make £600 -£800 a week ($1200 - $1600) and I still know I’ll never be able to afford to buy a home here.

Plus, it’s the “Birthplace of Aviation” :mrgreen:

You will find the price of homes in this area very reasonable. The best deals are the repo’s if you have the patients to fix them up. Other homes with less work to be done are not too much more expensive. Good luck!

Joe…

Great advice…!

Been there and did the same. Five years later, over 3000 inspections and getting ready to take my services statewide.

Lee, what you need to understand is that everyone manages their business differently. Those that have passed on to other vocations probably shouldn’t have been in the industry to begin with or just didn’t know how to manage it. But don’t plan on being in the black the first 18 months.

Like any other business, market research is key. Market density, transaction volume, competitor base and average dollar per inspection are all relevent terms. Hell, open up next door to me! We can race out the driveway in the morning…lol

Inspectors that know their profession, manage their business like a professional, respect the industry and remain diplomatic during the transaction…well they tend to stay in business. Those that do nothing other than piss and moan about how bad they have it or how the competition is kicking their ***…well that is why they are or will be a statistic.

If you decide to dive in to our profession, remember that at times can be cut-throat so keep the left hand up and watch for the jab. Other than that…welcome. And if you’re ever in Florida, let’s get a pint!

Hi Lee,

Short story I say go for it. Do the necessary research and preparation. Start part time if you have to. Not sure what type of regulations you have in your area but if they are minimal to none, then you have a small operating expense.

What the worst that could happen no work? At least you will have the tools, know-how, and slowly gain experience.

Example I used to do contracting for several years. I still have all my tools and contractors license even though I have not done any contracting in almost 4 years, I could very easily find work tomorrow if I needed to.

Good Luck,
Ray
http://www.inspectorpages.com/rthoroman
http://www.choosesuperiorinspection.com

Home Inspector in Atlanta, Athens, Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta, Duluth, Gainesville

I’m sorry the news we give you is no any better. I am in Idaho and we were pretty saturated too. We had somewhere around 160 inspectors in our area and w/in the last 6-8 monthes were down to less thn 100.( In SW Idaho anyway. One other thing to think about would be E&O Insurance and General Liability, Some say to carry 1M policy which is about 3800.00/year.
I do it because its fun, I have way too much money invested to turn back now. Good Luck!