Change to NAHI Code of Ethics

After analyzing the results of the membership survey pertaining to our members thoughts and actions with Code of Ethics #6, the code has been revised to read as follows;

“An Inspector shall not, directly or indirectly and for compensation, perform repairs on or recommend contractors to perform repairs on any component or system included in the inspection under the NAHI Standards of Practice. An Inspector may recommend or offer ancillary inspection services.”

All electronic and paper documents will be updated to reflect this change.

Click this link to see the full NAHI Code of Ethics: http://www.nahi.org/NAHI-web-code-of-ethics.pdf

Nice.

I would have suggested, however, that
. . . perform repairs on or recommend contractors to . . .

would have read:
. . . perform repairs on or recommend specific contractors to . . .

It would seem this change would remove the last stigma between ASHI & NAHI and allow them to work much more closely together especially in areas of licensing legislation.

I support the repair thing for compensation, but don’t get the recommendation thing.

I personally recommend a chimney sweep for cleaning and level II inspections. He provides my clients a 15% discount. I also recommend three specific contractors who (1) are highly competent, (2) have sterling reputations, (3) do excellent work, and (4) are more than competitively priced.

I receive nothing in return from any of them, except a rapidly returned telephone call if I have a question. I also tell my clients to be sure and check references, call our county dept of consumer protection to see if they are licensed and if there are complaints, and to shop around for other contractors.

I believe the intent to be “compensation for the recommendation” (kick-backs). It’s poorly worded in either case.

I think it is clearly stated and prohibits a NAHI member from (1) performing the repairs, himself, and (2) trading referrals with other NAHI members for repairing what each other are calling out in inspection reports.

Apparently, someone anticipated how two NAHI members could “beat the system” by providing each other work as a result of their mutual home inspections.

I think they should be commended for taking the extra step.

http://www.nachi.org/lastholdout2007.htm