Charlotte County Florida HI License

I just moved from Pennsylvania to Charlotte County Florida. I was a HI a few years ago in the Allentown area. Anyway, I passed my NHIE a few years ago but I only got a 515. It was the first time I took it and a few guys in our company took 2 or 3 times to pass it. I’m working on getting my license in Charlotte and surrounding counties now. Most counties here only require a small occupational license fee and you’re licensed.( I don’t agree, there should be some type of qualifications required ). Charlotte county however not only requires that you pass the NHIE but you have to pass it with a 555. The county somehow figured out that 555 is passing it with 75% correct. I called NHIE and they told me there is no way to determine a 75% as the questions are weighted. They also told me that Charlotte county is the only county in the country that requires a 555. On top of that , charlotte county also requiures a personal credit check. WTF !!! I’m not applying for a loan !! I have a seriously ill child who spent over 100 days in a hospital over 100 miles away. Needless to say my credit rating suffered. So now, in order to get a Charlotte county HI license I have to start all over again studying to re-take my NHIE and somehow I have to get my credit fixed. Does anyone else live in a place that makes it so hard to get a HI license ? Does anyone know why this county is so strict ?
I don’t even know why I wrote this post. I guess I’m just venting and I’m a little discouraged. … Oh yeah, I just joined NACHI a few days ago. Hola !

They have relaxed the licensing requirements here somewhat. I’m not sure how they arrived at 555 either, as the number doesn’t equate to 75%. Study a little though and with your experience you should be in the 600’s.

When I first got licensed the requirement was 550, but they also had to have a written record of three years experience, a background check, personal and business credit check (by their designated company) and don’t forget to have your GL certificate with Charlotte county as the certificate holder.

They will forget to update your record every year, and your license will be on hold each year when you go to renew in Sept.

All of this, and we still get the jerks from Sarasota coming down here without a license and the county does little or nothing to them!

Welcome to Charlotte county. Just wait till you see how the homes are built. :roll:

They do a background check which includes a credit check, but you can have poor credit. You only have to grant permission to do the check.

Did you study for the exam at www.nachi.org/qa.htm ?

You might be right. I think it is still a 550 you need. Either way it shouldn’t be required. The people who make the exam put the 500 number as passing. All of the questions and the amount of questions on each subject in each test is different. Someone might get a test with a bunch of code questions ( why are they even there ? ) and the questions are weighted differently. There is no such thing as a 75%. One person might get a 500 but actually had a test that was much harder than someone else who gets a 550. Either way, both people have shown that they have aquired the knowledge needed to be a home inspector. I guess I need to brush up anyway so I would be studying either way but it just ticked me off that the officials in Charlotte county make all of these requirements when they probably have no idea what the test is about and how it works. OK I’ll shut up about it now:mad: :mrgreen:

Also, you cannot be denied liberty or property (a license is both) over a poor credit rating which is solely determined by private companies.

That’s good to know Nick ( the backround check thing )

I actually have been going through some of those questions. It should be a great help. The last time I passed it I had the ASHI training coarse. I left Ashi a few years ago. It became very costly. I actually think that NACHI has much better benefits for members and it’s less expensive. I was getting bills for this, that and the other thing when I was in ASHI.

I’m feeling better already !
I have to get my credit rating fixed anyway but it will be a long process.

These folks can help you do that and shorten the process. It is NOT a financial group. I used to have a lot of younger military folks that needed help getting their credit history straightened out or headed in the right direction. These group is a non-profit organization that does a terrific job. Its been many years since I have recommended them but they used to be superb at re-establishing good credit ratings for people.
http://consumercreditcounseling.ca/

Nick is correct that you can not be denied liberty or property because of bad credit. Charlotte county however equates home inspectors and contractors as one in the same. That is the reason for the “75%” rule on the test, as the contractors exam requires a passing grade of 75 or better. All of our requirements for a license are the same as any contractor, insurance, credit check, background check, years in business, etc.

Charlotte county has denied contractors the right to work in this county based on poor credit, as I was told when I originally applied for my license in 2002. All of this occurs within a right to work state, too.

What’s the old statement? “You can’t sue city hall”

Move North or South of them. When I got certified I went to the Pinellas Building Department, sent halfway across town to the Building Licensing Board. Asked for an Occupational License. “What do you do?” “Home Inspector.” “Can’t have one.” “Excuse me?” “Legislation vetoed last year, no licensing requirement, you cannot have an occupational license.” “Is that all cities?” “Where do you live?” “Seminole or Largo, we’re unincorporated.” “You can’t have an occupational license.” “Why not?” “No City, no occupational license.” Ain’t this fun?

Pinellas county has been toying with the idea of licensing home inspectors for a few years this may be the reason thatyou were unable to purchase a license. The other reason is…

ORDINANCE NO. 95-53
AN ORDINANCE OF THE COUNTY OF PINELLAS PROVIDING FOR THE REPEAL OF CHAPTER 1 18, ARTICLE IV, DIVISION I, SECTIONS 118-161 THROUGH 118-235 OF THE PINELLAS COUNTY CODE AND DECLARING THE SAME NULL AND VOID AND OF NO EFFECT; SUCH THAT THOSE PERSONS REQUIRED UNDER THE ORDINANCE TO PAY THE COUNTY OCCUPATIONAL LICENSE TAX AND OBTAIN A COUNTY OCCUPATIONAL LICENSE IN ORDER TO ENGAGE IN OR MANAGE ANY BUSINESS; PROFESSION OR OCCUPATION WITHIN THE COUNTY SHALL NO LONGER BE REQUIRED TO PAY SUCH TAX OR OBTAIN SUCH OCCUPATIONAL LICENSE; AND PROVIDING FOR AN EFFECTIVE DATE.
NOW, THEREFORE/BE IT ORDAINED BY THE BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS OF PINELLAS COUNTY, FLORIDA, as follows:
Section I. That Chapter 118, Article IV, Division 1, Sections 118-161 through 118-235 of the PineIlas County Code is hereby repealed and declared null and void and of no effect.
Section 2. Effective Date. This ordinance shall take effect September 30, 1995.

Gotta admit it was an interesting venture. Course I knew what to expect before I went in since I had worked with the Building Department for years. If ya don’t have a sense of humor working with this building department you better develop one fast.