Cheap roof repair

Why replace the entire roof field, just replace the ones that are leaking.

Can you believe this idiot replace portions of this roof field? The entire roof is obviously in need of replacement, but patching it will save you money…I guess.

roof_old2.JPG

I know you might not understand why but some people have limitations of understanding of money sometimes.
Please do not call them idiots for the are trying three best to to own a home.
Yes I have seen it a number of times and questioned it myself.
After talking to some one that had this problem I understood.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes, Till I saw a man with no feet.
Yes you would do it right but we all think and live diffidently.

Kind of hard on the homeowner, huh?:mrgreen:

Perhaps he is waiting for extra money and just wanted to stop the leak. Roofs aren’t as cheap as they used to be, at least down here.
I have inspected many homes where only the bottom third of the valley has been repaired or a section of the roof was repaired.

Whoever did the repair should have gone over to the left a little bit to cover all the felt.:wink:

My statement still stands…

1 Like

Is that hood for a dryer? Looks like lint there.

I think its just a cheep low-profile vent.
Use to see them all the time and have put in many in the early 80’s.
They are very ineffective during winter months in Montreal Quebec , because snow tends to berry them and the ae easy for rodents to enter the roof system.
I looked for dryer fluff and could not se any.
Long why to carry dryer vent stack, and uphill to boot.

About 25% of new homes here are vented vertically through the roof.

Mr.Funderburk.
Yes again I am taught thinking inside the box and-not looking at new construction methods and thank you for that lesson.
I have some bad habits to break and that’s for sure.
That’s why I am here.
In the new residential building and practice of venting dryers through a roof vent stack , is there added force’’ a mechanical turbine’'?, attached onto the venting system that aids air-flow and carries the dryers air up and away?
Or is it the pressure from the (dryer system alone) that does this work.
I ask this for I am in a apartment complex 50 feet high and our dryers are all in-place at a entrance point specifically placed on top of each other and a turbine is placed at the bottom of the system to enable the dryers air to be propelled up and away from the building.
Any referencing you can give me would be appreciated.
Thank you Mr.Funderburk.

And, 50% of those that I have seen, have been replaced by direct exiting at the unit.

Some do not read the instructions on their dryers that say to clean the lint screen after every use. All that moisture laden lint ends up getting caught in the bends, clogging the lines. Then it takes longer and longer for the clothes to dry.

I just inspected a home where the homeowner replaced the dryer with some new fancy unit. Guess what? The clothes still didn’t dry!
He installed a new line and all was fine.
The problem was that the old line was ribbed, which isn’t allowed, for obvious reasons. See picture below.

I live in a rural area and see this often and have done some simple repairs myself.

Most of the time it’s an elderly or disabled person and can’t afford a new roof.

A lot of people have it tough and I will try to help these folks anyway I can.

Eric.
That was the point to my question about added force to aid the dryers blower in projecting the lint upwards.
There are many factors that will cause that substance ‘‘link particles’’ to ad-tear to surfaces.
> Moisture , ribbing in the channel of the tubing, any exposed fasteners that enter the tubing-self tapping screws for holding links of galvanized or aluminum tubing together.
The end problem is clogging,as you have exposed in your photo’s.
Wall exit would be better placement to me.
Still would like referencing material and photo’s again for keeping in my NACHI diary of photo examples and explanation.
Do not go out of your way. I am looking to and will post when found.
Thanks again.

The poor mans patch makes our job easier.

Vertical dryer vents seem to be installed much of the time without req’d backdraft prevention devices.

My last new construction inspection, they just ran in up through a B Vent Cap, which can make it hard to catch as it’s a new home, doesn’t look out of place and there’s no lint… yet.

Is there no way to send down a scope for viewing.
I am asking out of ignorance for not having seen a example installed.
I have only repaired and inspected side venting.
Is the any way of asking the manufacturer or installers of ways to spot improper installations?

Robert

A scope may be helpful, but not really necessary. It’s not going to be mid-run in the dryer vent. It should be at the terminal end of the vent.

On new construction, I can use a mirror, looking up a vertical dryer vent and see if backdraft protection is in place. When they are full of lint, it’s a little harder, but the same applies. If I have gone into the home ahead of stepping on the roof, I have a better idea of where this should be.

Thanks for the input.
Really.