Check it out. Double dipping

Sorry to stir the pot. - but another question: How many of the “7000” home inspectors are duel licensed? I would speculate that over half of the newly licensed home inspectors are actually Div.1 contractors who grandfathered in to the home inspector license or attended the weekend AAA home inspector school or the “Contractor Institute” for weekend home inspector school. So yes, there is bound to be a “high error rate.”

That fact is - until the industry has standardized mandatory training for ALL licensees as well as the underwriters reviewing our work, we will continue to have a “high error” rate. - unless of course, the error favors the insurance industry.

I know I will piss some of you off but the truth of the matter is this from day one, the Wind Mitigation program was a mess. I hear the same story over and over some blame the Home Inspector, some blame the General Contractors. Well the truth of the matter is how many Home Inspectors are really home inspectors with the experience they need to hold that title.

Now how many General Contractors are experience to be called General Contractors. Do not tell me you Qualified because you passed exams. Some General Contractors can’t even read a ruler or a square. They never even used their credentials except to try to impress someone who doesn’t have an idea what is going on.

The Wind Mitigation for it to survive needs to have a school where a house is constructed and different stations so everyone is on the same page. Either a University or NACHI provide the class with a exam at the end of class.

All individuals including Insurance companies have to attend and pass the course.

Yes, I see this to. I too recieve inspection from my agents, asking me to look it over, and tell them what is wrong.

But, they can always reject those inspection or request more documentation. If the inspector cannot provide it, that is another matter. The problem occurs when a State sponsored entity refuses to except any private inspection and forces the Homeowner to pay their inspectors.

Some people call that “racketeering”.

Agreed.

Forgive me if I’m wrong but home inspectors just got the right to perform insurance inspections. I think the numbers are somewhat misleading as Home Inspectors have just entered the market…I sincerely believe we had nothing to do with improperly filled forms unless they have been performed in the past year and a half. That we can blame on the individuals interpretation of the forms. The new 1802 takes away 99% of interpretation so from Feb 1 to the next form should be relatively problem free.

Or if your roof was installed in 1987 how can it meet the 2001 fbc? Just saying…

Actually, Preston, the roof could meet the later fbc. I understand that is not what the form wants you to say but if it was actually constructed to the 2001 requirements, technically it would meet the later code - right?

I just inspected a home built in 1927 that meets that code and I certified it as such.

Just asking…

The date dictates. Also what standards would the roof coverings meet if installed may years prior to the standard going into affect?

If you don’t have a permit, how can you meet code