Check out this dude. He runs a fake "University" yet has the nerve to make a YT video about legislation

I’m ready to ditch the CE requirement too. I’ve been doing this long enough that I actually -need- to find out new things on my own. Like watching those great webinars that NACHI puts out. Most experienced inspectors probably learn piecemeal like that…no more 12 hour courses, but a bunch of one and two hour webinars and short seminars, etc. Doctors and lawyers don’t keep retaking their medical courses…they attend conferences and read medical journals for their CE requirements.
The problem is, my state (and NACHI) require CE each year, and I wind up having to repeat the same stale courses over and over for it to “count”. InterNACHI’s content (that can be counted for state and Nachi purposes) is extensive and took a long time to amass, but now it’s stale. Pick on ASHI if you will, but their course content is constantly growing. Nick, what are the plans to address this?

2 Likes

Here’s a piece of irony. This real estate school is approved both in Indiana and Florida. The whole idea that a word can be barred from use by the government (but a type of gun cannot) is ridiculous.

Neither can be… read your Constitution and the Admendments
Our guberment is WAAAAYYY out of control and (hopefully) on the brink of a serious check and balance.

And neither is…

How is that possible??? You’re in Alabama. I just went to Free Home Inspector Training Courses & Online Classes - InterNACHI® and clicked on Alabama to see how many courses are approved by your state. We have 109 courses approved by Alabama.

I then added up all the hours that your state of Alabama approved these 109 courses for. They approved 1,917 hours of InterNACHI CE. These are actual college credit inspection courses (unlike the courses offered by other CE schools/associations).

I then divided 1,917 by 40 hours per week and I got 47.925 weeks. Let’s round that off to 48 weeks.

Now there are 52 weeks in a year. So you are telling me that you only work 2 weeks a year and the other 48 weeks each year you spend taking InterNACHI’s Alabama-approved courses, that you take them all each year, and so have to repeat the same ones?

C’mon. You can’t be serious. 1,917 hours (48 weeks worth) of CE approved by Alabama and you’ve done them all and need to “repeat them over and over?” There are only 52 weeks in a year. How is 48 weeks of Alabama-approved CE not enough?

I personally need courses approved in both AL and TN, which narrows the list to 60 or less. I’ve taken a large chunk of those over the past 5 years. Some of them are not applicable to my area (e.g. wind mitigation) or areas of practice (e.g. septic inspection) and I’m not investing time in those unless forced to. Yes, it’s good to go through them again from time-to-time but the point of CE isn’t refreshing knowledge so much as gaining new knowledge.

Other than the healthy homes series (which is fairly basic), are there some examples you could give of new material introduced in the past year or two?

That’s my point. Beat on ASHI as you will, they are constantly cranking out in-depth new courses with the latest content (e.g. “Changes and the 2024 NEC”). Their problem is that their courses are hit and miss regarding state CE approvals.

Again, the NACHI coursework is really good and probably took a long time to develop, but it just seems difficult to avoid stale material. For me, NACHI was indispensable and incredibly useful starting out, getting licensed, and working the first year or two. Now, as a more advanced inspector I’m looking for more advanced coursework.

It would also be good to have some deep-dive courses dealing with issues that have come up in the past few years….dealing with adhered stone veneer, AFCIs, issues inspecting new builds, smart home tech, etc, etc.

And, by the way, the time estimates to get through those courses is nowhere near accurate, at least for me. A “12 hour” class can be easily taken and passed in far less than 12 hours. So, no, there aren’t 48 weeks of material available to me. But I’ll happily take that to get through the CE requirements faster. Unfortunately, ASHI makes you sit through hours and hours of videos, so it really takes days to get through any of them. For that reason, I prefer NACHI’s self-paced approach.

Todd Thuss CPI, ACHI

Owner & Inspector

Integra Inspection Services, LLC

License AL HI4351, TN 1957

256-542-1049

todd@integrainspect.com

https://integrainspect.com

I did some digging for you:

Courses comprising of videos of some guy at an event giving a PowerPoint presentation is why ASHI can’t get U.S. Department of Education accreditation for ANY of its courses. Not one is accredited. I suspect that their inability to acquire accreditation is why ASHI cancelled its national convention again this year.

I’ve asked our Education Department about our courses being “stale.” This morning they started counting the edits made to only the 1,917 hours of CE approved by Alabama. Unfortunately there is no easy way for them to do this. They had to count and add them up by hand. There were more than 3,000 edits and updates made since the beginning of 2024 at the time I told them to stop counting at the end of the day. That’s like 20 changes a day to our courses. Now some of these edits are spelling and grammar related, and some are technical updates. But we have no way of knowing how many of the edits were one or the other. Because our courses are taken by so many inspectors and experts, we get a lot of feedback that requires us to constantly keep improving each course.

I also asked them about releasing new courses. They agreed with you. They don’t release that many new courses every year. I think the last one released this year was “Inspecting for Corrosion of Metal Connectors and Fasteners at Coastal Area Buildings Course” (which might be good for you as Alabama is a coastal state). Their reasoning is that they have literally thousands of hours of courses approved in every state and by every organization Governmental Approvals, Recognition and Accreditations - InterNACHI®. Your state of Alabama, for example, has 109 course approvals totaling 1,917 hours of approved CE. Instead, they’ve been focusing on training videos and recorded webinars. They released more than 400 in the past few years at Webinars - InterNACHI®

CCPIA® has been coming on strong with more “deep dive” online inspection courses. But granted, those are biased more toward commercial properties. www.ccpia.org. There is a lot of overlap with residential though. Also, CCPIA® is fast becoming ICCs training option of choice if that is of interest.

I personally really love the nachi webinars. There are terrific way to learn new material. Unfortunately, I can’t use them for State CE and I found myself having to retake Nachi courses just to get State CE. I will attempt to dig deeper and find any that I might have missed, but I believe I’ve gone through all the ones that are relevant for me

As for ASHI coursework, I have successfully used some of their courses for State CE. Yes, quite a few of them have state certification. Unfortunately, they’re often approved only for a small handful of states and it’s not uniform.

Every organization follows a life cycle that usually ends in stasis, stagnation, and eventual decay. I’d hate to see such a great organization follow that path.

It’s just a suggestion to put some effort on creating new content so that NACHI remains relevant to not just new inspectors but seasoned ones as well.

As an example, it would be good to have advanced and more in-depth coursework for particular areas. I personally have learned at least as much or more on the job than I did through the initial coursework. For instance, tankless water heaters. I’ve had to do a ton of my own research to learn about the new units with recirculation built in, the different types of exhaust terminations they offer, and so on. I’ve had to learn fiber cement siding installation details on my own, and so on.

Todd Thuss

Inspector/Owner

Integra Inspection Services, LLC

https://integrainspect.com

1 Like

Not the full story. The ASHI Edge coursework has state certifications, albeit scattershot. Edge coursework is more polished in presentation than NACHI’s but there aren’t that many of them. Edge coursework is not a video of a PP, it’s a professionally-designed interactive course.
Their webinar-based courses are indeed of some guy giving a PP presentation, but that guy is usually an industry leader or respected authority in some area. There’s usually some pretty excellent information in those.

That circles back to my original point. States should be awarding CE credit for a wider range of learning, such as webinars. Doctors get CE credit for attending seminars and reading medical journals, so why can’t we? We’re basically stuck with state-approved content, that by nature is just not being turned out in high enough volumes to give fresh content each year.

NACHI’s foundational courses are by nature geared towards newer inspectors trying to get certified, licensed, established…whatever.

The big question is, how many of the CE credits you need have to be “classroom?” In MD we need 30 CE credits over a 2 year license period. Only 30% (10 CE) are allowed to be “online” courses. The rest need classroom participation. To fill this huge gap we have MAHI (Maryland Association of Home Inspectors) offering 2 CE dinner presentations and the community college offering the same 2 HI courses over and over. I usually take the community college courses for 15 CE credits and suffer the repetition.

Too bad congress doesn’t have CE! I bet half of them don’t know what is in the Constitution or The Bill of Rights!