Check your competitors equipment...

Recently I have been taking a keen notice of some local IR competitors. Many were using the “find missing insulation and moisture” angle. After some further investigation, I found out that the IR camera they are using is a $79.00 infrared thermometer! Sadly, many of these clients are paying for a service that is basically useless. I’m quite sure they are unaware of the true IR that is avaliable. So in the end, it pays to check out your competitors equip. In fact they may not be much competition at all…

LOL…Hey, Rodney.

Is it your contention that…prior to the use of the IR camera…there was no such thing as an energy audit, finding missing insulation, or finding moisture intrusion? That is absurd.

James, He is talking about Inspectors using the “IR Equipment” ploy without the IR camera. Instead, using an IR Thermometer.

It is about misleading information, not about inspection standards or audit programs.

I also have found this when checking my standing on web searches. Type in “thermal inspection in XYZ City” and you get someone you know does not have “Thermal Imaging”.

Rodney, My answer to you is that I found that many of these guys were using this advertising angle long before the IR Imaging came to popularity.

I for one have been using infrared thermometers for 20 years. I worked for a company that required a Delta T. on every service call (I’m sure you have read my posts on this). Instead of walking through some body’s house with muddy shoes or having to take off my boots, I could stick my head in the front door (which was usually in view of the return air register) and shoot a register temperature reading at both the supply and return without ever entering the house.

I used to market the service as an additional benefit in home inspection because I found all kinds of uses (not moisture intrusion) for this technology.

In reality the infrared thermometer is the same thing as the thermal camera. The number of temperature readings and spot size ratio is about the only difference (other than the lack of a photograph). I still scan things with my IR thermometer instead of my camera because of convenience.

In the website searches I think you’ll find that the word “imaging” is missing on some of the sites because they did thermal inspections not thermal imaging inspections. Internet spiders have picked up on their thermal inspections years ago and they’re still there in the top rankings.

[size=2]However, it would not surprise me to see somebody jumping on the thermal imaging bandwagon without an imager!
[/size]

That was not what I was saying. I was referring to what David has explained to you above.

P.S: I am an Energy Advisor as well.

Are you as outraged by IR guys claiming to use their cameras…instead of a moisture meter…to identify moisture?

James,

Not at all. No method is 100% perfect. If it were, thats all anyone would use.

Mr Misener listed one inconsistant advertising claim. I am sure he would not
agree with anyone using methods that inferior or making any kind of false claim.

What has Mr Misener done wrong James?

please, do explain.

Your camera can detect moisture without the aid of any other device. Is this what you are saying?

No, thats not what I’m saying. I’m fully aware that infrared cameras do not detect moisture, only a temperature difference. If an IR inspector went to an inspection with only the IR camera, then they wouldn’t be much of an inspector in my opinion.

Thank you.

In your opinion, can a person with a temperature measuring instrument and a moisture meter inspect a ceiling for missing insulation and moisture?

I believe so.Whats your opinion?

In my opinion, they can, too.

My confusion comes from your original post that seems to imply that a home inspector with a IR thermometer and a moisture meter is somehow providing a lesser service to his client and is wrong to advertise or otherwise promote his service.

How is it wrong, in your opinion?

I wasn’t implying an IR thermometer is not a good tool(although I believe an IR Camera is superior). I was referring to competitors who advertise “detect energy loss using an infrared camera”, when all they use is an IR thermometer.

I share your disgust for their fraudulent advertising. I apologize for not picking up on that from your first post.

Thanks. I appreciate your comments.

Sharing disgust! Isn’t this really what it’s all about? This just warms my heart! :smiley:

Technically it’s not wrong, it’s ***misleading ***to the consumers.

It’s technically wrong if a guy with no camera is advertising he uses one, no?

I meant technically as in being able to use an IR thermometer and moisture meter to determine lack of insulation or moisture (it’s not wrong, just a different method than using an IR camera)

No need to spin James. :slight_smile: