Child eviscerated by pool drain

Hi Linda,

I agree these are terrible. So if you inspect an older pool, do you tell them it is wrong to have only one main drain. How do you approach this?

Also, As I read the IRC 2003 it calls for vacumm breaker. Do you report pools that do not have them? Personally I have never seen a pool with one. I know that commercial pools require them.

Your thought are appreciated.

One drain on older pool/spa is accepted as long as they have a secured (properly screwed in place) anti vortex cover. Hair entanglement units are advised as well.

http://www.drainsafe.com/print_summary.htm

Triodyne Anti-Hair Snare Plus Drain Cover
The only drain cover with an anti-hair entanglement design available for swimming pools. It is more effective than any other anti-vortex drain cover currently available and works on a self-shedding principal when a bather raises their head through a hi-low step design. This hi-low design along with the dome shape of the cover also prevents a child from forming a vacuum seal over the drain eliminating the hazard of suction or body entrapment. Complies with ASME/ANSI standard A112.19.8M-1996, strength, stiffness and safe flow rates for suction fittings for use in swimming pool, wading pool, spa, hot tub and whirlpool bath applications. Includes an adapter ring that will fit most circular main drains and screw pack.

Hi Barry,

I can not say I agree with the anti - entrapment and only one main drain without a vacuum breaker.

Let’s face it, pools are dangerous no matter what. I forgot how many children drown in play pools that are only 24" high, let only those that drown in jetted bathtubs.

The real truth is people need to take responsibility for their actions and quit looking for who’s to blame. Years ago I heard the first rule of management is “Who is to Blame” Sounds like GW and boys.

Granted the cost of a vacuum breaker system is very high, and just how do you know it will work the day you need it?

Pete

Do you have a case you can cite where eviceration or death occured with an old single drain system that had the retro-fit anti-vortex/entrapment cover properly installed?

I am always open to further education.

Does any one have some sort of a disclaimer about how we do not inspect pools/ Thanks … Cookie

I agree! A parent could not have prevented this. It is the pool installer/designer that is to blame. There are warning signs on every swimming pool pump that I have ever seen that clearly show that you should NEVER install a single drain on the suction side of the pump. THere is even a picture of stick person being eviserated for those that cannot read.

Very true…

Modern day pools will have two drains installed to reduce the suction pulled.

Cases like this are also the reason you really don’t see fountains in large malls like we used to. Remember when we’d throw our penny in for good luck?? It’s pretty rare to see a mall with an indoor fountain anymore.