Chimney covers and vent covers

Originally Posted By: abishop
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a question…

When you inspect chimneys do you look for a chimney cover? Doesn’t the cover keep rain from entering and deterated the insides the the acid rain or whatever?

Also, what about “PIPES” exiting. What ones need and what ones don’t need covers?

Thanks in advance!

Andy Bishop

Bishop Home Inspection, LLC.

bishophomeinspection@charter.net

269-686-6485

Originally Posted By: lkage

abishop wrote:
I have a question............
When you inspect chimneys do you look for a chimney cover? Doesn't the cover keep rain from entering and deterated the insides the the acid rain or whatever?
Also, what about "PIPES" exiting. What ones need and what ones don't need covers?
Thanks in advance!

I recommend a spark arrestor/rain cap if there is none for verticle chimneys. High efficiency furnace vents usually point downward but I recommend a screen to prevent insect/critter entry.

Originally Posted By: jsieg

Quote:
High efficiency furnace vents usually point downward but I recommend a screen to prevent insect/critter entry.

I recently had our furnace cleaned and asked the HVAC guy about the vents and covering them with chicken wire or something. He said not to... it would hinder the workings of the High Efficeincy Furnace. He stated that the effect of putting chicken wire on the two vents could shorten the life of the furnace by as much as 5 years.

We also deduced that chicken wire would attract bee's nests, spiders and cobwebs further reduceing the air flow.

Originally Posted By: lkage

jsieg wrote:

He said (screens) would hinder the workings of the High Efficeincy Furnace. He stated that the effect of putting chicken wire on the two vents could shorten the life of the furnace by as much as 5 years.

Interesting, I've never heard of that.

I wonder what he bases that on. AHJ wants 'em around here.

Originally Posted By: jkormos

“When you inspect chimneys do you look for a chimney cover?” I would recomend them but this is not a requiered application, but could be considered a best practice.

Joe

Originally Posted By: apfaff

I had heard no on screens also. But it was per manufactures instructions. I know I saw it in a manual somewhere.

Vertical chimneys caps are a must. Not only does it keep out rain and critters, but a well designed cap keeps a good draft regardless of wind direction.

Aaron

Good answer. That is what i am looking for.

• Keeps a good draft no matter what the wind direction.

• What else is the reason for chimney caps?

Have you guys heard the acid in the rain deteriates the inside of cement liners?

Anything else?

Thanks

Andy Bishop

269-686-6485

Originally Posted By: jlybolt

Check out NACHI free roofing course. It has some information on chimney caps. I also recommend rain caps on veritical chimneys

Originally Posted By: gmartin2

My understanding of acid in chimneys is that is a by-product of the combustion process. I’ve never heard of acid rain being a problem in chimneys.

Originally Posted By: ekartal3

Andy as mentioned by some of the others the primary reasons for the cap are for rain and spark safety hazards . Personally I don’t feel chicken wire will have an adverse affect on high effeciency units. Plenty of air flow with or without the wire. My chimney would be filled with critters without it. icon_eek.gif

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Thanks all for the replies.

Another question relating to “SPARK Arestors”. So the chimney cap is a protector of sparks flying out? So, the spark doesn’t go up and float in the air with the cover??? but then it hits the inside top of the cover and then goes to YOUR ROOF or the customers? or does it hit the cover and kind of knock itself out?

Thanks

Andy Bishop

269-686-6485

Originally Posted By: ekartal3

Andy that’s funny. I never thought of it that way icon_lol.gif

The spark arrestor is designed to prevent a chimney from looking like a roman candle on a roof. It will catch or diminish a great percentage of hot ash but it does not eliminate the hazard by any means.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect