chimney foundation

Originally Posted By: chorne
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_20161_RT16.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_20163_RT16.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_20164_RT16.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

carla, a fine example of the saying

" they don’t build them like that anymore "

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Originally Posted By: wpedley

Maybe the same people built STONEHENGE. icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif

BPedley

Inspecting for the unexpected

Originally Posted By: jpope

Those look like the granite plates in my back yard. They’re part of the San Andreas fault!

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey Carla

The owner's didn't happen to be named Fred and Wilma by any chance. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Paul

Originally Posted By: tallen

Carla:

I need an Engineer!

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

If it wasn’t so scarry, I think it looks cool icon_cool.gif

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Well, it sure looks scary enough, especially that on edge, but … it has been there almost 150 years that way.

How many 'properly built' newer houses are going to last 150 years?

That is one of those things which appears to 'have passed the test of time', which is, after all, what all modern engineering is trying to accomplish - keep it safe and from falling down for the life of the structure (which is probably considered to be about 70 years, or about half what that has lasted).

Would I say it is 'OK'? No, but still ... it's ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. hope you enjoy

I was really wierd walking in the center.

I meant to say “it was really wierd”…

sorry

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I think Jerry is right that ya just cant tell if something is sound by just looking at it. Many structures last the “test of time”, until they are subjected to full design loads. Look what happened during hurricane Andrew for example … icon_eek.gif

I think the scariest thing I was called in to evaluate was a problem with a main girder in a 3 story house. I got suspicious and had some drywall removed, which revealed the main girder bearing on the very edge of a wood post. It had crushed down about 1", and was about to let go ... ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

A common saying among building and structural engineers is "Just because it is standing now, doesn't mean it isn't about to fall down" ...

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jpeck

roconnor wrote:
Many structures last the "test of time", until they are subjected to full design loads. Look what happened during hurricane Andrew for example ...

Hurricane Andrew is a poor example as none of the structures in South Florida have been around long enough to "pass the test of time", with the possible exception of just a couple of structures (approaching 100 years old).

While I fully agree with "Just because it is standing now, doesn't mean it isn't about to fall down", a 150 year old structure has been through the "100 year storm" period one and a half times.

If that "100 years event" is not going to happen during 150 years ... what can you believe in? ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Modern engineering where structures are not even intended to last 150 years?

Still, you have to remember that other and unrelated things have changed during that 150 year period, effecting what might affect that structure tomorrow.

Look at the leaning tower of Pisa. It stood for a very, very long time. Still, it was only a matter of time before it would no longer stand.

Which is why I use the "passed the test of time" very sparingly, and then only with disclaimers. And not with any structure down here, nothing has yet been around long enough to "pass the test of time".

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: roconnor

What I meant is that many of the structures down in FL were suppose to be designed to withstand hurricanes, and right up to the day before hurricane Andrew most of them “looked” just fine

As a structural engineer also, I can say that even if a building survives a 100 year event (the usual design criteria), it does not mean it is sound. I have investigated very old structures that have withstood 100 year events, and sometime it turns out that event weakened the structure to the point of near collapse ... with no obvious visual indications.

The point being that a visual examination only is never sufficient to determine structural stability ... even for an engineer ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Just my opinion and 2-nickels.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: psmothers

Anyone notice that the hot water heater and the HVAC are both vented in to the bottom? By the looks of how old it is I wonder if the chimney is lined. Check out the vent from the hot water heater in the second picture. It slopes down to the base of the chimney.

Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

granite pier ]

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Don

When these homes were built a long time ago there was no enjineering. Seems to me like you guys get scared evertime you see something that is not in a book. It lasted this long so whats the problem?

Don Warnig

Advanced NY Inspections

Originally Posted By: jpope

Don wrote:
When these homes were built a long time ago there was no enjineering. Seems to me like you guys get scared evertime you see something that is not in a book. It lasted this long so whats the problem?

Don - are you saying that this would not be mentioned in your report if you had been the inspector on this property?

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: jwortham

And what does you mean no engineering? They have been “Engineering” them ever since we walked out of caves. They don’t just naturally grow.

Good engineering, bad engineering, professional, amateur. It's all still engineering.

And this would be "bad" engineering. Even though it has stood the test of time, I sure wouldn't want to see it in MY house.