Chinese Drywall now reported in 38 states

No… Boiling RWNJ’s in their own bull****, now that is something I can get my mind around. :stuck_out_tongue:

NACHI.TV is scheduled to release some online video training next week.

A very comprehensive training video - identification using the best-developed visual inspection techniques.
“Inspecting Chinese Drywall” coming soon…

http://www.bengromicko.com/chinese-drywall-q-and-a-by-gary-rose-phd.aspx

I pulled one outlet cover from each of the rooms to look at the wiring. Looked inside the AC Air Handler and went into the attic sweeping the insulation aside in various locations. All copper was clean. No distortion in the vanity mirrors or a bad odor. Thanks.

Thanks Karen. Steve

Yeah, that is it, right now if in Florida it is best to use the state protocols.

Steve - in regards to the ASTM labels, I checked with Howard Ehrsam with Chinese Drywall Screening, LLC and he said that the ASTM label is quite common amongst the various Chinese manufacturers’ labels. We discussed that they probably thought it added credibility to their product (so that begs the question on why they thought they needed credibility…)

Howard has been asked to join a committee that is actually looking into creating an ASTM standard for drywall composition now. Up to now building officials in Florida typically only looked at the “drywall screw” pattern or checked to make sure it was 5/8” if it was going into a rated wall assembly. Even if the drywall was doubtful looking in terms of color or friability, they would not have been able to reject it based on “Chinese” labeling.

Karen Scott

I have seen photos (from a boroscope) of drywall with both a made in china and an ASTM stamp. Just checked the photo it says …“to ASTM Standard C36” and below that “Made in China”.
My understanding is that Chinese Drywall broke no law, code or standard at the time it was imported, so it could have passed the ASTM.

A point on the off gassing. There is probably a lot more CDW out there than is being reported because the sulfur smell originates from the reaction of the strontium to heat and humidity. Just a guess but if a house has been air conditioned and dehumidified there may be no current reaction. But in the event of a catastrophe such as a hurricane, if power is out, the chemical reactions may start. Until there is a warranty and a clearance testing protocol, I remain a belt and suspenders guy on this one.

but its true so get over it…lol:twisted::mrgreen:

That is why I don’t post much in the public section, you guys enjoy yourselves. :roll:

Gary -

On the comment on ASTM and the actual quality of the drywall - that is probably something best left to the attorneys.

Properties maintained with good humidity control that have some defective sheetrock probably have some off gassing happening to a degree, but not enough to be as obvious as houses fully loaded with it and in hot, humid conditions. We think this defective drywall starts off gassing once installed, but the degree of off gassing is impacted by other factors such as how much defective sheetrock is in the house, what the heat and humidity factors are, is the AC system properly designed and maintained, and what other household factors might be present such as formaldehyde and household chemicals.

We also think that it is not just here in the States, but might have been exported to other countries.

This issue has made me much more aware about the importance of efficient mechanical systems and fresh air intake, especially in more energy efficient homes that do not have as much opportunity for fresh air to get in and out.

Defective drywall is in commercial properties too but probably not as easily identified because commercial properties generally have better designed mechanical systems with fresh air intake which manage the interior temperature and humidity conditions as well as overall air quality much better.

Karen,

Are you saying that 5/8 Type-X gypsum wallboard was imported from China too?

Chinese Drywall Inspection training video
http://www.nachi.tv/episode92

Joseph -

There seems to be this idea that commercial construction never has 1/2" drywall in it; that it is only 5/8". However, 1/2" is often used in commercial.

Sometimes it is specified for specific reasons such as trying to get as much space possible in a tight fitting electronics or computer work area or closet or a back room where the storage racks have to fit to a specific width. It might sound silly, but in those situations every inch counts.

Sometimes the tenant uses a residential subcontractor who brings 1/2" in because that is what he happens to have on hand or does not realize that commercial property managers prefer 5/8". If no one objects, it goes up and the building officials typically don’t say anything as long it is not being used in a rated wall that only allows for 5/8".

Also, if you look at fire wall assembly wall specifications, some will allow for use of multiple layers of 1/2" versus 5/8" to get a specific rating such as a two hour rating. It was recently found in this type of a rated assembly in a common area and hallway of a Florida multi unit residential complex.

So 1/2" can be and has been introduced into commercial interiors which can lead to issues with corrosive drywall.

Has it been specifically found in 5/8" drywall? I have heard from a couple of sources that they believe it has been but I cannot confirm that personally. Even if it was not imported from China, there is a possibility that if any of the tainted gypsum rock was picked up and recycled, it might show up in American recycled 5/8" at a later date. However, it might be pretty diluted at that point and the mechanical systems would probably pick it up as a trace but it might not be as corrosive.

Got to get to it.

chinese-drywall-video-pic.jpg

Training video sale ends today
$100 (regularly $200)

Check out the video preview

**This course teaches the best visual-only inspection techniques. **

EXPERT COURSE INSTRUCTOR: Howard Ehrsam EI, CDP, LEED AP
Chinese Drywall Screening, LLC
Phone: 772-224-8660
www.twitter.com/CDS_Howard
www.chinesedrywallscreening.com
CGC 1509717
Karen M. Scott, SCMD, CDP
Asset Advisors and Managers, Inc.
Phone: 772-600-7928
Karen@Asset-A-M.com
www.assetadvisorsandmanagers.com

Consumer Product Safety Commission & HUD now have published guidelines for removal of Chinese Drywall. They are noted as being preliminary. My feeling is to use them as a baseline and go well beyond these recommendations in remediation.

There was a recent Summit concerning “tainted” Chinese drywall.

Construction, Finance, Insurance and Law Summit
January 29, 2010
Indian River State College, Fort Pierce Campus, Florida

Tainted-Chinese-Drywall-Summit-Wrap-Up-1_Part1.pdf (148 KB)
Tainted-Chinese-Drywall-Summit-Wrap-Up-1_Part2.pdf (252 KB)

Howard Ehrsam, the instructor of the “Inspecting Chinese Drywall” course http://www.nachi.org/chinesedrywall, was a speaker at the Summit.

hi, video borescopes will be fine to eliminate this danger, just to look at labeles from china or not from china