Choosing a school for Home Inspection Training

Originally Posted By: Stephen Prunty
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m in the beginning of a change of careers and I have chosen Home Inspection as a new career path. I’m in the New Orleans, Louisiana area and there are two schools to choose from. One school uses classroom training, but their class schedules conflict with my work schedule. The other school uses videotapes and has an extensive of library of tapes and a/v rooms that students can go into for listening and notetaking. Both schools cost about the same and both include all the books that go along with the training. Certainly the videotape school would give me the freedom to go to school when it is convenient for me. I would really like some input on whether I can receive a quality education using the videotapes as opposed to the classroom training. Both schools do offer 30 hours of live inspection and both are listed on the Lousiana State Board of Home Inspection website. Does anyone have experience with videotape training for home inspection ? Thanks

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Steve,

Try if you can to attend a school. Check your local community colleges also, for they often have classes that will suit your schedule.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: lkage

ekartal wrote:
Steve,
Try if you can to attend a school.

I agree. The interaction with the instructor and others in the class is well worth it. All sorts of scenarios come up that you won't get from tapes.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Thanks for the replies. They were very helpful. I would rather take classroom training too, but with my work schedule and kids its very difficult. Perhaps one wuestion I should have asked prior to the classroom question and I hope someone can asnwer it for me. I have no experience in home construction - I am employed in a non related field. Is Home Inspection too far a stretch for someone with no prior experience ?

Stephen Prunty wrote:
I have no experience in home construction - I am employed in a non related field. Is Home Inspection too far a stretch for someone with no prior experience ?

That would depend on what that someone is willing to put into it. It will be more of an uphill climb than those who have a construction type background but I know people that have totally switched professions and done alright.

Please don't rely on the "magazine propaganda" that you will make a sack full of cash next week. I believe most home inspection classroom training assumes the student has a working knowledge of the construction of homes and teaches from there. You may want to start with some classes on home building and go from there. At least you would learn what you would be looking at and maybe clarify your career direction.

--
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

I just attended AHIT’s traing in Ohio. Larry Kage is correct about interaction with others. The class I was in had a guy that owned several businesses throughout the years (including a remodeling business), an electrician, a HVAC guy, and an insulation sub contractor. Lots of examples from their experiences were brought up during class.

As for experience, NONE of us had ever inspected a house on our own.

What you really need is mechanical aptitude and common sense to understand various systems. Then training and practice. As soon as I get my order from inspectortools.com I will be in practice mode.

I personally have 17 years in the aluminum industry which won't help much with HI.

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Steve,

Personally I would not rely on a home study course to learn a completely new profession like HI. You’re going to have zillions of questions to ask. What are you going to do? You will not have any interaction other than email.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: dbowers

As a rule of thumb - some of the worst inspectors I personally see are those with no experience in our industry that can’t or won’t take the time to go to a real, live hands-on training class. If they can’t take 1-2 weeks out of their live to learn a new profession, they ought to do something else.

Originally Posted By: bsumpter

And as a opposed viewpoint, I met with an inspector a few weeks ago that has loads of experience in the trades, but is a rather new inspector.

He was one of the worse I have met, and he took the time to go to school.

Do not discount the inspectors that "can't or won't take the time to go to a real, live hands-on training class" People have different things that occur within their lives, and we shouldn't judge.

I know an inspector that took an at home course, and he is spot on!

It's all about the attitude and the commitment.

Just as Mr. Mosier said, "What you really need is mechanical aptitude and common sense to understand various systems. Then training and practice."

just my .o2

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur

bsumpter wrote:
It's all about the attitude and the commitment.

That's for sure!

--
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: roconnor

You may have problems even getting E&O insurance without good hands-on training ... check with some of the better know HI insurance companies like FREA and Allen. The home inspection profession can be a very risky business if you don't know what you are doing, and many newer inspectors stumble early in their HI careers due to lack of training and experience.

One can read/search the Education Forum here for a bunch of info on various options and education providers. If you have trouble talking some time off to get some good training, or just prefer the credentials of completing a college sponsored program/certificate, look into evening continuing education courses some local community colleges may offer in Home Inspection.

Also consider that inspectors in states that license HI's may have specific requirements for training. Talk to the state licensing department about any required/approved HI training ... but here is a pretty good general link to a summary of state HI requirements from one of the larger HI training companies (verify with the state you are in before you sign up for anything) ... CLICK HERE

Just my opinions and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Stephen … P.S. I noticed you are listed as being in Louisiana, which does appear to have very specific hands-on training requirements for an HI license (see above link … and verify). It doesn’t look like on-line/distant correspondence courses will work for you anyway, and there seems to be a pretty typical requirement for additional field experience beyond the basic hands-on training to get a license.

I would recommend both good hands-on education and additional on-site training for someone in your position anyway (regardless of any state licensing requirements). Would help to do the job better, and help keep your butt out of a sling anyway ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Wow this forum is fantastic. I haven’t had a chance to check this forum since Sunday night and I was floored by the additional responses. You all are great. I did check my state’s (Louisiana) website for Home Inspection. If anyone is interested in taking a look it is www.lsbhi.info . Both schools (classroom and videotape) are listed as recommended sites for instruction and both provide 30 hours of hands on inspection training with state licensed inspectors (live training required for state license). I spoke with references provided by both schools and all gave positive marks. I haven’t been able to verify this information yet, but I have been told that the videotape training school has a higher pass/fail rate than the classroom training. I’ll have to investigate that further. Thank you again for all the responses !

Originally Posted By: gmaher

I am not able, due to personal and family circumstances, able to go to a home inspection school at a location distant from home (Fargo, ND).

So, I have done a lot of shopping on the internet for learning-at-home courses on Home Inspection. I have found, what I believe to be the best seven schools/courses offered. But, I'd like to know the opinions of experienced home inspectors in regard to these schools.

They are:
Professional Home Inspector Institute, cost $583.00
American Home Inspectors Training Institute, cost $995.00
Inspection Training Associates, cost $1,195.00
CarsonDunlop and Associates, cost $1,995.00 (Canadian)
Foley-Belsaw Institute, cost $589.00
Charles Barnes School of Real Estate, cost $729.00
Allied Schools, cost $618.00

Have any of you experienced Home Inspectors had any experience with any of these schools? Good/bad?

What are your opinions? Worth taking?

Thanks,
George Maher
Home - Safe Home, LLC
Fargo, ND

I thought I would post an update to my original post about Home Inspection school. I chose a local HI school that does not have live classroom training, but instead uses professional videotapes that students watch. I chose this school because the other local HI school that offers live classroom training does not have a class schedule that is cooperative with my work schedule. Many of you who responded were concerned that this type of training was no substitute for live training. Well, I started my HI training two weeks ago and I am happy to say I am pleased so far. Discipline is a key factor in this type of training since nobody knows if you attend class except for myself. Many of the students are in the same situation as myself, unable to attend the live classroom training because it conflicts with their work. I just thought I would post this information if there is anyone like myself who is trying to change their career while working.

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

I can’t take credit for it. Paul Hinsperger

Hinsperger Inspection Services posted it and I am forwarding it.

www.certainteed.com/continuinged has 18 courses that receive 11.5 to 2.0 depending upon the association each. It lists on the site that it is accepted by NACHI and what's more...its free.

Bill C. Merrell, Ph.D- fellow NACHI Member

That's as much as 36 credit hours of education at no cost to our membership. I am glad I read each listing, but Paul Hinsperger deserves the credit for this find.

Originally Posted By: wdecker

I think that it is very important to remember that technical knowledge and/or expertise is only one aspecty of being a good home inspector. Here are the skill sets needed:

1) Technical expertise: Knowing about construction and having done at least some of it. Handyman knowledge is actually better, since handymen usually knows about many things, but not in depth. We are not code inspectors and don't need to know technical data in depth.

2) Writing skills: Writing a good inspection report is pretty much like writing a good term paper. It must be complete, comprehensive AND address items in a clear, easy-to-understand manner while at the same time be written in such a way as to meet certain legal requirements, as well as being written so as to cover one's backside.

3) Applied Psychology: Dealing with clients, realtors, sellers, tradesmen. Knowing how to read people and react to them depending on where they are. Knowing how to spot a problamatic client before they become a problem. Knowing when to walk away from a client.

4) Allied with #3, marketing knowledge. Demographics, 'idea man'.

5) Artist: Building of web sites, designing brochures, business cards, truck designs, report designs.

6) Accountant: Always necessary if you are running your own company. Having a wife who is a CPA (like me) helps.

7) Business managment: Knowing how to run a company. Especially difficult when you are your only employee. Self management.

![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif) Lawyer: Need to know how to read laws, standards of practice. Learning how to talk and what to say. Being objective. Contract law.

9) Educator: The most important part of our job is educating our clients. The more they learn and walk away from the inspection with, the better they fee, the better they will understand their house and the better they will take care of it.

10) Computer skills: Writing reports, downloading files and pictures, e-mail, printers. Knowing what equipment to buy and how to use and take care of it. Using this board.

Hope this helps.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com