Cinder Block

Originally Posted By: eidaj
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Would you guys pass this work? I talked to the inspector and he will take a look at the pic and respond back to me if it is code or not. There is no rebar tying the cinder block into the poured wall or anything tying the cinder blocks together except for very little mortar. The front porch is going to rest on this wall nothing else… The second pic is what the front of my home will look like

https://home.comcast.net/~eidaj/images/Block-Wall.jpg

https://home.comcast.net/~eidaj/images/Huron-Model.jpg

Originally Posted By: jpope

It depends on what it’s for. It certainly doesn’t appear to be a “permanent” wall.

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Unfortunatly it is permanent! They will lay the porch slab on top of that.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I see the supporting ledge for the patio and it doesn’t appear that the porch slab will utilize the block wall. The block wall is lower and won’t actually tie into the deck.

It almost looks like there will eventually be some type of stairway in that area and the block is being used for a temporary "block-out" of some sort.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Just off hand, if there was need for significant load support, I would think they would have continued with the poured foundation.

Did you ask the builder or site superintendent?

Yes they said they didn’t have the right forms to pour it like rest. To me that translates to it takes to long to set up the form the right way and this was way quicker to do… There are no stairs at all, take a look at the second pic and you’ll see what my house will look like.

Originally Posted By: jstevens

HI, Imyself if it was my house and they did that ,Iwould make them pour a wall where the blocks are with rebar to tie it in ,Also i would be very careful on everything else they build cause if they made a mistake there who knows what else they will screw up . Good luck and be careful with this contractor JIM

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Is it for the brick siding?

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I can’t begin to wonder why they did not continue the forms. Porches (stoops)are constructed that way around here also. It’s a frost wall. Frost walls must be 4’ down to get below the frost line. The inside section will be filled with fill material(dirt and sand), and the porch poured over it like a slab on grade with grade beams.

If it were me, I’d have them remove the block and continue the pour making sure they drilled rebar into the existing walls to tie the two together.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dvalley

As Jeff stated, it looks temporary.

If my builder told me that he's making this ridiculous block wall into a permanent wall because he's unable to pour a solid wall due to improper forms, That's a bunch of crock.

I wouldn't accept it. That block wall will be coming out and a solid wall will be poured.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Sure wish I could see the blueprints and contract. Was the foundation approved by the AHJ?

I'm a little skeptic in answering these questions. The first one asked was, "would you pass this?" I think eidaj should know that NACHI Inspectors are not code inspectors or Professional Engineers (unless so stipulated). Maybe with all the problems or questions that he is addressing he should consider hiring professional help. If he's near my area I would be glad to give him a bid as a construction consultant.

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

What did the blueprint or the specifications sheet call for?

Originally Posted By: mkober

Don’t let your contractor’s masonry sub “forget” the weep holes in that vast expanse of brick veneer.

Michael J. Kober, P.E. and H.I.

"NACHI Member and Proud Of It!"

Originally Posted By: jruppert

Looks like the classic case of “the tailor cut the pants too short”. Looks like a f__ up to me!

Originally Posted By: rmoewe

mkober wrote:
Don't let your contractor's masonry sub "forget" the weep holes in that vast expanse of brick veneer.

You need to also tell him to use flashing where the weep holes are. Many contractors are leaving it out, to save a few dollars. Make sure they install the weep holes over all doors and windows too. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: cradan

The weep holes and underlying flashings won’t do you the most good, either, if the builder allows the landscapers to shovel fill and topsoil up against the bottom brick veneer courses. (As shown in the model home picture). Let 'em know you want 6" of foundation wall showing above final grade. More, if you’re intending to shovel a couple inches of organic mulch up near the walls.

Chris

http://www.inspect4me.com

Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: roconnor

eidaj wrote:
Would you guys pass this work?

A home inspector would not "pass" or fail anything. That is up to the building inspector and the licensed professional who designed the house.

What does the person who sealed the plans for that house say?

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Eidaj,

If you are speaking of placing a concrete slab on that wall for the porch, that is a considerable amount of weight for a block wall that is not tied into the foundation wall.

If that was my house, I would want a poured wall tied into the poured foundation wall.

Questions that you will want to ask are:

What do the plans call for?

Have the plans been modified? If so, have they been approved by an architect?

Have the plans for the porch been approved by your local (municipal, city) inspector?

Is the footer for the block wall sufficient for the weight of the proposed porch? (The plans approved by an architect would be sufficient in most cases)

Is the block wall going to be tied into the foundation wall? (Plans approved by an architect would be sufficient in most cases)

You certainly have a right to make sure your home is built right, so ask questions.

Joe Myers