Circuit Grounding

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

On this rare occasion, it was necessary for me to start my inspection at the interior of the home. Only one circuit in the entire house tested to be grounded. It just so happened that it was the kitchen.

When I got to the service panel. . .

![](upload://RQk1ngxN3RXA6WCnATOEB4p9dV.jpeg)

I had a feeling there might be problems just due to the fact that it was a Zinsco.

I was quite amazed when I saw the method used to ground the kitchen circuit.

![](upload://finDufYmiuqhEhw9yzbssQh8noO.jpeg)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Joey D’Adamo

well…that’s…different. icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Do you inspect mostly in run down neighborhoods, Jeff? I can’t believe all of the electric problems you find on a seemingly routine basis. icon_eek.gif

bwiley wrote:
Do you inspect mostly in run down neighborhoods, Jeff? I can't believe all of the electric problems you find on a seemingly routine basis. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

I run the gamut of homes, from new to old and bad to beautiful. It just so happens that the older homes are selling more than the newer (and not always nicer) because of property values.

The average home price in CA is 486K. The home in today's series of electrical horrors was listed at 475K (a below average home).

To qualify for that home, your income would have to be around 96K per year

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

If I go twenty minutes north, we have the same thing here. Condos average about 400k. The condo I did this morning wasn’t on the water, was small and sold for 360.

Is it just your part of the country that runs into all of these interesting electrical dilemmas? I have Harry Homeowner issues, but seldom see what you seem to see on a regular basis! It would be much more fun out there!!!

At least we know the average home inspector can buy a house in your area based on the qualification number you gave.

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Jeff, what’s the fuss about? That wire is bent into code-accepted double-looped reverse-wing grounding knot. Man, you need some CE to bring you up to speed. icon_biggrin.gif

Brian A. Goodman wrote:
That wire is bent into code-accepted double-looped reverse-wing grounding knot.

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Jeff I have always wondered the same thing as Blaie.

I just do not see this much bad wiring. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Do you know if most problems you report get fixed?

The worst house I rewired was owned by a family of welders and they were apparently used to sparks. After the house had to be put out by the FD, the electrical inspector pulled the meter and forced updating of the wiring.

They had wired 90% of the house with 16 AWG speaker cable.

Pretty much one circuit of unlimited current, fuses wrapped with tin foil.

Their wiring skills aside they made beautiful ornamental iron works.

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

bbadger wrote:
Do you know if most problems you report get fixed?

I wish I knew what percentage of people actually heed the advice.

This is what I can tell you.

I know of three local EC's that have my number on speed dial. They call on their way to the property and usually ask "What's wrong this time?" Many times, they will call afterward and give me a rundown (I generally ask them to call after they've gone out on a Zinsco or FPE call).

I have been out on re-inspections where there was no change to the electrical defects, but they wanted to know if the new windows were installed properly ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Apparently, some just don't think it's important even though my reports say things like SAFETY HAZARD - FIRE HAZARD - ELECTROCUTION HAZARD.

Who knows, maybe I've helped to prevent a home fire or maybe I'm just a pain in the a$$ to the selling agent

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738