clamp-on meter

Originally Posted By: phinsperger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone know if there are any clamp-on current meters that do not need to have the conductors split. One that can clamp over an entire cable and give current readings.

I don't this that it would be possible as the current flowing in the neutral would be flowing in the opposite direction as the hot and thus the magnetic fields from the two conductors would be going in opposite directions canceling each other out. But there are some very amazing equipment out there and I am just wondering if some manufacture came up with a way to clamp over the whole cable.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Paul I have never seen one for the reasons you have stated.

But I do agree with you that you never no what will come out next.
Who knows maybe someday they will figure out a way to electronically only measure one side.

I do not know what you are trying to measure the current on but this amp clamp accessory can be handy.

Quote:

?Must have? accessory for Clamp-Ons

Splits two conductor line cord to permit Amps measurement with Clamp-On

Allows direct Current reading in 1X mode

Increases sensitivity of Current measurement in 10X mode

Voltmeter output jacks for simultaneous voltage measurement

Up to 15 Amps continuous current (up to 20 Amps for one minute maximum)

Plugs directly to an outlet or can be connected with test leads adapter

Can be connected in series with permanently wired equipment

http://www.amprobe.com/cgi-bin/pdc/viewprod.cgi?pid=8&tid=2&ENGINE=hvac

You plug this in an outlet and plug the appliance you want to measure into it.

Then put the amp clamp through the 1X or 10X hole.

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Quote:
Can be connected in series with permanently wired equipment

Wouldn't one have to strip back the cable and separate the conductors in order to mount it in series? One you have the conductors separated why would you need the spliter. Just clamp around on of the condutors. I must be missing something.

--

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Originally Posted By: bbadger

phinsperger wrote:
One you have the conductors separated why would you need the splitter. Just clamp around on of the conductors. I must be missing something.

No I don't think you missing anything they are just trying to sell this. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

It does have one advantage for measuring current on hard wired equipment.

Most clamp meters accuracy at low levels is poor at best, this splitter when used in line on hard wired equipment multiples the actual current by 10 X.

So if you had to measure something that draws .5 amps the splitter will fool the meter into 'seeing' 5 amps.

By the way you can do this yourself by passing the wire through the clamp more than once in the same direction. Two passes = 2 x the amps, 10 passes = 10 x the amps. I have done that in a pinch

However anytime I get to levels below 15 amps it is just as easy to run it through my multimeter, more accurate and less parts. I have a set of leads with alligator clips for doing this.

IMO the splitter is only good for cord and plug connected stuff.

The meter I carry all the time is this one.

You still have to get the wires separate but not as far apart as the clamp type.

If you see a meter that does what your looking for post it here, I would like one too. ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I have a short “appliance” type extension cord (the kind that looks like King Kong zip lead) that I split out the hot wire on.

Thanks Bob and Greg. All the stuff I want doesn’t exist. Guess I just have to start inventing stuff myself icon_lol.gif

Paul Hinsperger
here !