"Clean inspection just 2 months ago"

That’s the statement the seller’s real estate agent made to my clients yesterday as I was inspecting their potential new home. “I don’t foresee any problems with this inspection” :roll:

Clean?!?

First Pic - No GFCI, ungrounded receptacle in newly remodeled bathroom, many outlets where ungrounded or rev. polarity

Second pic - No my camera lens is not dirty, 75% RH fog in crawlspace. plus a nifty way to mount a dryer lint bucket.

3rd - no explanation needed … could of stuck my finger through some of the joists.
4th- Mold as far as the eye could see.
5th- 12 guage CU + 30 Amp breaker (elec baseboard)= DOH!

116.jpg

116_Stroud Ct_Pics 6_07_08 008.jpg

116_Stroud Ct_Pics 6_07_08 069.jpg

116_Stroud Ct_Pics 6_07_08 041.jpg

116_Stroud Ct_Pics 6_07_08 044.jpg

Picture 2 looks like there a lot more defects. I see condensation on all the pipes. Plumbing does not look supported by hangers. Drain line is burnt and sagging at the fitting. The CMU support columns look like they are missing some grout. Just to name a few things I can see in that picture.

Anytime a client or agent tell me it should be an easy inspection anymore, I just laugh as soon as I get off the phone. I like the ones who think it’s new that there is nothing wrong with it.

Did you happen to get the weather forecast in the basement for the next 5 days? Sunny and 70 maybe.

In all seriousness, I don’t think I have ever seen FOG in the basement. nice pic.

They were just testing you.:wink:

CMU’s also shimmed with untreated scab 2x4’s (also rotting) … yes all that you mentioned and more was noted in the report. I posted for the major issues caused by all the underlying problems ya PITA. :mrgreen:

Forecast for this crawlspace = RAIN for the next 5 years or until the structure collapses … whichever happens first. :shock:

Guess I failed their “test” :wink:

Excuse the stupidity on my part, what the hell is causing that fog in the basement?!?!?

Did you recommend a wrecking ball?

Yep. Wanted to see how good you were and how susceptible you were to hearsay and suggestions.

No problem, Dominic.

According to Wikipedia, “Fog is a cloud in contact with the ground.”

So in this case, we simply have a cloud that is in contact with the ground in the crawl space.

Was that of any help to you? :margarit: :stuck_out_tongue:

or simply, high humidity

I laugh when I’m on the phone!! :slight_smile:

Dominic,

Dryer moisture being discharged into a cool space, or one that is already at 100% rh.

Fog begins to form when water vapor (a colorless gas) condenses into tiny liquid water droplets in the air. Conversely, water vapor is formed by the evaporation of liquid water or by the sublimation of ice. Since water vapor is colorless, it is actually the small liquid water droplets that are condensed from it that make water suspended in the atmosphere visible in the form of fog or any other type of cloud.
Fog normally occurs at a relative humidity near 100%. This can be achieved by either adding moisture to the air or dropping the ambient air temperature. Fog can form at lower humidities, and fog can sometimes not form with relative humidity at 100%. A reading of 100% relative humidity means that the air can hold no additional moisture and the air will then become supersaturated if additional moisture is added.

Two Words: Plausible Deniablity.

The real estate agent was saying, “don’t surprise me with your report”, and “Heck, I thought the house was perfect, what am I, a home inspector?”

:wink:

Too many trees and roads are too narrow for a wrecking ball, this is what I recommended.

Funny guys. I know how fog is created (took enough years of science in college for that bit). Just couldn’t figure out what was making it in the crawl space. The moisture from the dryer vent makes sense, but that’s still a LOT of moisture. No wonder there’s such a bad mold problem.

Maybe one positive comment, and mind you, to me, electricty is witchcraft, but I"m told that if there is one GFCI receptacle on a circuit, other receptacles on that circuit need not be GFCI. In my house, the receptacle in the second floor bathroom didn’t work, and still didn’t work when I replaced it with a new one. I called a witc…er…electrician, and he pushed the reset button on the GFCI in the first floor bath, and said “Now try it.” It worked.

So maybe that was true in the Fog House too??

That’s true, but only if it’s upstream.

Yes, there’s GFCI outlets, and then there are GFCI-protected outlets. When there is a GFCI circuit breaker in the electric panel, there don’t need to be GFCI outlets either.

I heard they are getting some really hot weather on the east coast. My inclination is that cooler moist crawl space air is meeting up with the warmer air or visversa (probably when Chris accessed the area) and got instant clouds… luckily it didnt form into a tornado! :mrgreen:

Speaking of tornadoes; the other morning I was sitting on my back porch having coffee, it was a clear cloudless sky. A small cloud began to form and as I watched it it got bigger and begin to spin! It turned into a tornado funnel within minutes. It never came down below eight to 10,000 feet, just sat up there spinning! Then, as it moved across the Cumberland River it fell all apart! The cloud evaporated and the sky was blue again! Strangest thing I’ve ever seen!
Maybe I should have checked my crawlspace, aye?