Cleaning out moisture between window panes

Just researching old posts. I had 27 of my 15 year old windows fail 3 months after a very significant storm that shook the home. I have been in many North Texas storms where a gust of wind visibly shakes the glass. I think this may contribute to failures. Foggy windows is a huge problem in Texas. The value of the window system is diminished by the failures. I think some high end manufacturers have life time guarantees but then that’s not affordable housing.

It troubles me that a home inspector would recommend this route and think it’s ok. Sure drilling holes in the thermal window temporarily offers relief from fogging but you’ve compromised the whole reasoning of a thermal window to begin with. Being a glazer I can tell you confidently that a high percentage of thermal windows are not manufactured with argon glass. This is an upgrade the buyer must request but most of the time decline due to extra cost. The argon glass offers extra insulation from heat,cold and noise to a degree. Over time the thermal window, which is sealed together with silicone type materials will dry up and the seal is compromised thus causing moisture build up in between the two glasses. In turn fogginess or even staining can occur if not dealt with. Drilling a hole into the glass may cause relief in fogging but instead of having efficient energy saving windows you’ve allowed a cold airflow between the glass which will affect insulation and how much energy you will lose. A real home inspector should know this and won’t have your property viewing on Holmes on homes after he passes your property with flying colours.

My thoughts are if those double panes were sealed as you claim they are, wouldn’t they shatter when that hot sun comes up due to heat build-up?

As for insulation value, what do you estimate a double pane glass R value to be and what is the actual R value loss if two tiny holes are drilled in that double pane?

Well if you were truly a GLAZIER, not glazer, for all that time you would know that it is Argon GAS, not Argon glass.

If holes were drilled you would lose any remaining Argon GAS, so you have a minor .5 R value loss over having just air between the two panes. If they are clear as a result of having the procedure performed then great, the owner won’t notice the .5 R value loss and it might take decades to make up the replacement cost in energy savings.

I agree .
I have been told it would take 22 years to pay for changing the windows.
I got 6 for free drilled the holes and now have a great place to start my plants every spring .
Works great for me .

There are two kinds of sealing methods and the ones with the all butyl gasket suck.
You want the kind with the metal strip in the seal.

The rubber often melt in the sun.