Client Diversion / Marketing Tool

Originally Posted By: rmeyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

As pointed out by Nick at the recent Great Lakes Chapter meeting, a diversion can often be helpful to keep the client occupied so we can be more productive with our inspection time on site.

If you are a "one inspector" operation, you may want to create a notebook / scrapbook to have at the site for the client to peruse while you're inspecting. This can also be a "Marketing Tool" used to educate the realtors and sellers (potential clients) as to your many outstanding qualities. It can be designed as you choose and can contain such items as: NACHI certificates, state license, training or continuing education certificates, degrees, Code of Ethics, Standards of Practice, articles on HI, remodeling, building, fire safety, community info. for newcomers, etc. (the list is only limited by your creativity) (You may want to avoid articles about Home Inspectors being sued by Homeowners, keep it positive!)

The more progressive and upscale Home Inspection operations may want to use a computer generated, interactive presentation on a lap top.

Just another inexpensive (notebook) way to help market yourself while hopefully making your on site work a little easier.

Have a GREAT DAY! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: psisler

Russell,

Totally great idea. Last week I used one of my NACHI binders full of the items you mentioned that I was taking to a realtor after the inspection. I added how-to and maintenance tips etc., and you are right it did keep them busy. Good tip.

Patrick

Originally Posted By: tallen

Once is enough

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Guest

The most productive time is spent WITH the client. The client BOUGHT our time. I encourage my clients to go through the inspection with me and take the time to explain everything I’ll be putting in the report.

Charge more, do fewer inspections. Do a magnificent job. Feel good about your job.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Good point Chad. I’m with you.

I want my client to be right next to me during my Inspections and paying attention to what I'm pointing out. Not reading books.

I talk to my clients the entire time I'm inspecting. If I'm not finding any issues, I'll get them laughing in some way.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Roger Petersen

It is a far superior idea to have the client walk and talk with you. The development of a bond between the inspector and client is a valued endeavor for future business. The client must know what you are doing and feel as though they have been part of the process and not just a person who writes a check. The diversion is for fools.

Originally Posted By: cradan

HAIR.

Chris

http://www.inspect4me.com

Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

I always reccomend my clients spend time with me during the inspection. This is done so they can ask questions and I can give them little tips about the home. A couple days ago a client spent about 30 full minutes with me. He just wasn’t interested in the inspection. I wish I had something for him to read as the 3? hours must have seemed like forever to him.

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: gbell

I have been offering the client a camera so that they can take any pictures they want. I make a photo album of their shots and post it to the web. I send them a link so that they can share their new home with family and friends. So far it has had a positive response.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service