Client Mad About Mice Droppings

Thank you all for your comments. It is very much appreciated.

4 Likes

Related: Hantavirus | Washington State Department of Health

NO I didn’t observe any rodents at the inspection.
You must have taken my card & did this yourself… … …

Willie

4 Likes

I had a similar situation a few years back. However there was an additional kicker to my story. Orkin went to one of my client’s houses about 6 months after I performed the inspection. Client called me complaining about mice droppings in the attic. Orkin told them they needed to remove all the fiberglass blown in insulation (18 inches) and replace it with new. The home was approximately 1,400 square feet. Orkin quoted him a price of $14,000 and he wanted me to pay for it. I told him most homes have mice droppings in the attic and that he should have read the inspection agreement where it states that I do not inspect for rodents that I only inspect for WDI/WDO. I also told him that $14,000 is a wee bit expensive. I told him they were just trying to take advantage of him and maybe he should consider changing pest control companies.

3 Likes

Matt- I am not contesting this practice, but I wish everyone would take a moment and consider how this plays out. There is a reason this stuff is excluded in SOP’s. You should also consult your Insurance provider on stuff like this.

I have seen time and time again where even lawyers considered that because “everyone else is doing it”, so should you!

I testified in several court cases and I would see this happen even to me as a witness/consultant. Once they open the box, it can’t be closed because of some SOP. What was said, will not just go away. Lawyers do this all the time so long as they don’t piss off the judge too much.

All the reasons/excuses posted here should never be said in a response to a complaint. I would keep my mouth shut. All you have to do is send a copy of the report/inspection agreement page with what I posted above. Nothing more to be said, till you get in court (if you get there). States with HI Laws have legal departments to address these complaints. NACHI Legal may be able to help. Your lawyer may be needed if it’s not squashed by then.

In some states it may even be illegal for you to even consult on these issues. It’s not that mouse crap isn’t an issue, because hantavirus can be catastrophic is some areas like the four corners area.

Here is another issue I have problems with. Why are we providing these contractors as sub’s? Because everyone else does? Because we are trying to out do the other guy’s services to get the job?

In Tn, every house sale must be inspected by a pest control company for termites, so I never had this issue to concern myself about. But the same issues occur with Mold. If your a mold tester, it is assumed by the prosecution attorneys that you know more about mold than the average Joe, and I assure you they will play the jury’s emotions, “Would you not expect this inspector to say something about what they are trained for, but didn’t because you didn’t pay extra for something you know nothing about”?
Well, it’s too late to do anything about that now…

3 Likes

If we see rodent poop or signs, it goes in our report. We note things like this as we feel our client would like to know. It takes just a few seconds to note this… Eventhough our state has a disclismer in our state home insepctor law for rodents, and we must have it in our PIA we feel that the Standard of Care requires us to note things like this. It all depends on your buiness model.

4 Likes

I agree. I’m not saying I saw it and omitted it. I was unable to send it in attic due to clutter.

6 Likes

Not a common problem in OP’s state.

You explained it in your narrative Pete, I would move on.
On a side note, the droppings may have been fresh and not present during your inspection. Mice are sneaky, probably waiting until you left. :laughing:

6 Likes

Do you ever bother reading anything, or just ASSume based upon the links title?

2022-05-03_100205

It only takes one!!

1 Like

I read everything. Including your stupid replies. It’s not a common problem in Jersey or Maryland. Did you look up any of the number of cases or just ASSume an article from Washington state would be appropriate for the East Coast?

You’re right and you’re it!

1 Like

Same here Ryan.

I largely agree with everything you say here and wish things weren’t the way they are and that our contract and SOPs were always the immediate and final word. Or course, that’s not reality of our industry and my first goal is always to keep my phone ringing with complaints.

As for the insurance thing, my awareness and reporting of rodent problems rose sharply after a class I took from my E/O rep and his go to attorney. I’m pretty sure E/O carriers would cringe at the thought of anyone looking past rodents and just pointing to SOPs (I know - different issue than OP but a good discussion followed).

Wow seems like u covered all the basis i would hold tight

I have found mice cadavers in the attic and gave verbally commented to who ever is riding along with me during the inspection. I have never ‘reported’ on those findings. The inspection software I use (Horizon Mobile 3) is up to date with all the dwelling systems and nothing pops up about mice, droppings or any other type of corps I may run into…! I have dealings with all types of agents and clients, never had one address me with rat infestation concerns and I do a lot of downtown Baltimore jobs and no one is ignorant of the rat :rat: problems in this city. We all have a rat neighbor here…! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Sounds like they can be assumed just as mosquitos and humidity here in GA :smile:

The biggest rats we have in Baltimore are in Government employ! Haven’t had a decent mayor since Donald Schaefer.

3 Likes

I’d personally never let my software dictate what I report on. Unless they are willing to defend me in court, of course.

7 Likes

Why should it? It’s not pest inspection software. As Matt said above, inspection software does not dictate what you report. Whatever software is used should be ‘massaged’ to include all the items required by the SOP used. In fact, Maryland requires a written report that includes the scope and the exclusions of the inspection. §16–4A–01

1 Like

That addition is fine, but you missed the point about WHY you could not inspect the attic. You need to specify the reason the attic was not inspected.

Is that because you couldn’t find the access hatch? Didn’t bring your ladder? access was nailed shut? closet hatch was inaccessible due to stored personal items (boxes, clothes, furnishings.)
angel-devil-smiley

3 Likes