Client says problem, I say cosmetic; opinions?

Standard Comment in Service Agreement AND later in our reports used for over 24 yrs now …

(1A) For the fee paid, the Inspection Company and customer agree the purpose of the inspection is to identify readily visible and material defects or conditions of the major systems that, in the sole opinion and judgment of the inspector adversely affect the function or integrity of those systems . The report only pertains to the visible and readily accessible areas of the included systems at the time and date of inspection . For the purpose of our reporting system a “Major Concern” is one that will cost over $1,000 to repair and has a serious detrimental effect on the included systems. A significant “Safety Concern” is one that is a clear and present danger versus a risk or health affect that may or may not develop over time.

(1B) The customer acknowledges and agrees that the inspection will not detect and list every defect present, and it is agreed that if such an inspection is desired, it is beyond the scope of a “Basic Inspection” and would require both additional time and additional fee(s). Cosmetic defects or those defects that would be considered fairly obvious to a casual observer may not be included in the report. Although it is possible the inspection may address some of the minor or more obvious deficiencies present, it is agreed the report will not be an all inclusive list of every type of defect, cosmetic concern or routine maintenance issue at the property.

As inspector’s we don’t really actually know what the client thinks is major or minor. That’s why we call it all out. Now that right there is insignificant.
That would not be a deal-breaker in any circumstance. Don’t worry about it…ok!
That would fall under the category of general maintenance yep!

@dbowers disagrees

You decided it’s minor by stating it’s insignificant :slight_smile:

You old folks keep confusing the young folk :+1:

If you don’t wanta get whiny babies like the OP has … AS the inspector, YOU establish the expectations right up front. Here’s what I do / Here’s what I don’t do. Eliminate the hassle BEFORE it becomes one.

Like going to the doctor and he see’s you have a blocked artery AND a pimple. WHICH do you think HE thinks is more significant?