Clients recording inspection?

I’ve seen an increasing number of requests from clients to videotape the inspection. I’m on the fence of whether or not to give my permission. On one side the recording could protect me in the event of an issue. On the other side I have no control of what happens with that recording. How it could be edited or taken out of context.

What’s everyone’s feelings on this?

Did not permit recording of the inspection or the walkthrough - company policy.

2 Likes

1 - I do not allow people to video or audio record me inspecting.
2 - Do every inspection as if your being recorded by the seller and buyer
3 - If they try to voice record my presentation I respond by putting my recorder next to theirs and act like I am in deposition. Problem is today’s technology allows them to record you without you knowing. Soooo learn to review the basics of your report and explain that important information is in the report and they need to read it. When someone records me presentation is 60% to 80% shorter.

1 Like

What ever you decide be sure your clients have permission from the Owner of the home. Afer all it is their property that is getting videotaped.

2 Likes

I have no problem with someone wants to record me as long as I know in advance, SEND them a recording contract and they pay my fee for starring in a media (1% of sales price or $2,350 whichever is more).

1 Like

Good point!

Yes, but then we already do this when we inspect. Both stills and video. I have had a few owners that were present question why I took a photo of all their Junk in their closet (CYA)…When they agree to sell their home they agree to have it inspected…along with all the personal instructions that go with it. But, I agree I do not want a client video taping or adding to The Report I contracted to deliver.

There is no implicit or explicit agreement to have their personal possessions rummaged through, photographed or videotaped. Photographing personal possessions is not a part of any SOP. That sounds like an excuse a perv would make for rummaging through someone’s underwear drawer.

Yesterday the tenant was uncomfortable about us being in her home. I told her that if there was anything that she did not want me to take pictures of to please let me know. She was with me all the way except for the 100 year old basement.

I believe that no expectation of privacy can be claimed if the seller allows to buyer to conduct a home inspection. This is one of the fifty states’ definition:

“© “Home inspection” means the process by which a home inspector conducts a visual examination of the readily accessible components of a residential building for a client.”

The home is on the market. I don’t touch or look at personal pictures or possessions but if they are left out for public view - oh well if my pictures happen to include them.

But every occupied home we do, we are photographing personal possessions, just how “personal” depends what they leave out. You bet I take pictures of closets full of stuff, (photo probably does not get in the report) but I sure as heck want to make sure when a buyer discovers hidden damage, (like Termites in the back of a closet… I have evidence that the area was not viewable because “I can’t Rummage Through those Personal Items” to check those baseboards because it was blocked by personal items… Best backup to prove I stuck to the SOP.

Where does it say anything about rummaging through, photographing or videotaping personal possessions which are entirely unrelated to the real estate transaction? Do you root through the glovebox of a car in the garage too? If not, where exactly do you draw the line?

IMO: if it’s not part of the transaction, you have no business intentionally photographing it. The only exception I would make to this is to document why something that is part of your SOP could not be accessed/inspected because it was obstructed.

1 Like

Maybe they do that in Texas but we don’t, to my knowledge, have inspectors sniffing underwear from sellers dress of drawers.

Was that in the OP?

In the real estate contract the inspector is allowed to go through the home to observe and document things, which may include taking photos and video. But I don’t know anywhere where it says the buyers are allowed to take photos or videotape the interior of the home.

You’ve gone from talking about sticking things in your butt to sniffing underwear. How classy of you.

That is an awkward request. There has to be “a reason or motivation” that drives that behavior. A three hour inspection is a complex video production. Considering the rare spaces where we go, basements, roofs, crawling spaces, attics… the instrumentation that we use for humidity or infrared diagnostics… I agree that the best way out is by disclosing “company internal policy”.

Its happened to our guys a few times. We say sure we are recording it too. BTW I would recommend recording you going over your findings with a screen/sound capture product like scrancastomatic or snagit. Let them know you are recording it too. This cuts down on the he said/she said stuff or Your Inspector said or diidn’t say ________________ Really lets look at the video.

When in Rome.

Stop attacking and I’ll stop replying.

You ignore my posts and I’ll do the same.

Abject stupidity warrants a response. No free ride for idiocy.

Ive had folks record it, no problem. Sometimes I do a quick wrap up video for clients that are not present.