Cloth wire or cloth sheathed non metalic cable?

I groan every time I hear that term being used.
I have never seen wire that was made out of cloth.
Now, the sheathing… that’s a whole 'nuther story.
Cloth Sheathed/Braided Non-Metallic Cable.

Old Electrical Wiring Types - Photo guide and History of Types of Electrical Wiring in Older buildings

4 Likes

It’s completely wrong there are several double tapped lugs only one cable per breaker or lug.

Are you a licensed home inspector?? No offense but you should at a minimum know that

Yes, I`m… You ask me this because you think the answer is too obvious?

I don’t want to discourage anyone from asking a question just do what you think is best… you are trained have confidence in yourself

You first. What are your credentials, other than a non-member guest to this MB?

3 Likes

BTW… those are ‘Double Lugged’, NOT ‘Double Tapped’.
Yes, there is a difference!

4 Likes

No, I would not call that unsatisfactory.
They still have the thermoplastic insulation. Not the type of wiring insurance is concerned about.
But if you label it as such, it will cause a nightmare for the buyer, because the insurance guy behind a desk has no idea what he is looking at

2 Likes

Thank you Jeffrey, I consider your contribution to my topic very valuable. I believe everyone contributed to this.
I am very happy to belong to this group.

3 Likes

You’re right, I even talked to the electrician and he told me that this double-lugged could be a surge protection. And he saw the photos I sent…I learned all of this…I noticed how my fellow inspectors here are concerned about helping…and the final result: the surge protector will be replaced and the electrical panel will be maintained.
Thank you very much my fellow inspectors.

4 Likes

Good job in calling this out and passing it on to an electrician’s opinion. However, I do have questions about the doubles being a surge protector. If he has other info later, please pass it on.

Yes, I can almost guarantee that is a surge protector. I dont typically call this out on the 4 point, but I do call it out in my report to the buyer. Here is the narrative I use, albeit kind of long: (feel free to use)

Improper surge protector installation:
There is a lot of debate about how these are to be installed, but typically there are two types, with different manufacturer requirements:

Type 1 - Is to be installed between the transformer and the line side of the service (Meter)

Type 2 - Is to be installed on a dedicated two-pole breaker on the bus bars inside the panel.

-Neither one of these types are to be installed directly with the main service cables under one lug, (this is also called a double tap), or double tapped with any other breaker. Although fairly common, this is also a violation of the panel manufacturer’s requirements: The main lugs and breakers are typically not rated for two conductors under the same screw (double tap)
Recommend electrician evaluate and correct as needed.

1 Like

Here is the type of cloth wiring I will call out on the 4 point. It has a cloth braid around the conductors, but it also has rubber insulation, instead of plastic.
The conductors are also usually tinned copper, so they dont react with the rubber.

1 Like

What a bunch of dumbasses. Go to inspectapedia and figure it out for yourself

1 Like

Hey now, you used to be alot of help too!! Not too long ago, actually, you answered my phone calls! haha

1 Like

Brother I will still do it. I just hate stupid question.

Do we think it is stupid because we know the answer or is it because it does not feel important enough to ask?
Now that is a question. lol

2 Likes

When I first started doing 4 points, I wasn’t sure about the whole cloth wire thing either… and I called this out one time. Client had to pay for an electrician to look at it, who said it was fine, and then I looked foolish.
So I try and help others when I see alot of the same questions I had.

6 Likes

If you start by trying to find the answer yourself .

This question comes up a lot so I’m wondering where is the information is coming from? From what I’ve read here “cloth wiring” (a terrible name) is only tinned copper with rubber insulated conductors.

2 Likes

My best guess is it goes back to the ‘pre-NACHI’ days of the ‘ASHI-Realtor-Insurance Company’ love triangle! ASHI would literally say/do anything to get in bed with the (at the time) key players to insure their ‘authority’ in the industry, (which worked), and we still deal with the lingering effects to this day.
InterNACHI has made great strides in battling this, but still has a l-o-n-g way to go to fully eradicate this cancer that once thrived!

2 Likes