CMI Cancelled

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Why is the suggestion to require a felonious background check a “backhanded swat at FABI” ??? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: jbushart

jhagarty wrote:
jbushart wrote:
I hope that the criteria will include a complete criminal record check to ensure that NACHI Certified Master Inspectors are free from a felonious past that could reflect poorly upon the association, as a whole. Has there been any discussion on this?

Since you brought it up, do You Care to Explain your Thoughts???

Thanks...

Sure...

Should NACHI's highest designation for its most qualified home inspector - allowing access to the most remote parts of an individual's future residence - ever be awareded to one convicted for a violent crime, burglary, etc? I know that you guys think that fifty years of hanging drywall should qualify a fellow for sainthood in the profession, but if this CMI designation is to be valued - it should be protected, IMO.

Len Ungar, I'll ignore your assessment of my mental condition in recognition of your declining faculties. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: rcooke

evandeven wrote:

His thoughts are yet another backhanded swat at his "friends" at FABI.

Gee I wonder what evandeven is trying to say ?

Do you know some thing and wish the rest do not find out.

Strange how we some times let the cat out of the Bag.

Thanks for the heads up.

Roy sr

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

jbushart wrote:
jhagarty wrote:
jbushart wrote:
I hope that the criteria will include a complete criminal record check to ensure that NACHI Certified Master Inspectors are free from a felonious past that could reflect poorly upon the association, as a whole. Has there been any discussion on this?

Since you brought it up, do You Care to Explain your Thoughts???

Thanks...

Sure...

Should NACHI's highest designation for its most qualified home inspector - allowing access to the most remote parts of an individual's future residence- ever be awareded to one convicted for a violent crime, burglary, etc? I know that you guys think that fifty years of hanging drywall should qualify a fellow for sainthood in the profession, but if this CMI designation is to be valued - it should be protected, IMO.

Len Ungar, I'll ignore your assessment of my mental condition in recognition of your declining faculties. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Should Nachi's lowest ? If checks were done should it not be done on entering, before The Highest designtion is awarded.

Anyway,
If the person has payed for the crime to society who are any of us to pass judgement? Are we talking 1 yr ago, or 5, or 10..Nevertheless , You should take personal attacks on ones business, and being off the boards.

Originally Posted By: jrivera

[quote=“jbushart”

Should NACHI's highest designation for its most qualified home inspector - allowing access to the most remote parts of an individual's future residence - ever be awareded to one convicted for a violent crime, burglary, etc? quote]

But aren't regular bottom feeder Home Inspectors already able to access this individuals residence.

If anything it's the individual of that future residence who wants to access the most remote part of myself (always up your @$$)!!!

Thats why we give them things to do to keep them occupied so when we stop short, well you get the idea.............

And don't most states prohibit one from obtaining a license due to criminal problems ?????????

Originally Posted By: gbell

Where will a CMI be permitted to go that a certified inspector isn’t?

As usual your thoughts make little sense.

Maybe you should just stick to organizing boycotts or are you looking to get into even more trouble?

Originally Posted By: evandeven

gromicko wrote:
Why is the suggestion to require a felonious background check a "backhanded swat at FABI" ??? Just curious.

Beacuse detective Bushart, using all of the resources at his disposal, was able to find out that one of FABIs members had a conviction on his record.
I seem to recall there was a big "to do" about it in one of the more rambling threads here and at Inspection News.

The background check is nothing new. In order to get a mortgage Brokers license here, it is one of the requirements. You also have to submit a copy of your fingerprints. If you have ever been convicted of anything relating to fraud, you will not be allowed to get your licnese..ever.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

gbell wrote:
Where will a CMI be permitted to go that a certified inspector isn't?

As usual your thoughts make little sense.

Maybe you should just stick to organizing boycotts or are you looking to get into even more trouble?

![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Originally Posted By: rbennett

A good inspector might be a: bad driver - business person - typist - lover -sexual etc. — Might even be ugly and over weight

I am for the background check if I get extra points for being good in some of the above. --

A HI inspects homes -- we do not question our clients about where they get the $$ or where they go to church or who they live with and why. We take their $$ and provide a professional service.

BI's are what has been done yesterday - what is going to be done today is what counts.

Now for a "little sense" -- welcome to the new world -- If we do work for certain clients -- schools - insurance companies - banks - the government etc. -- BI's -- credit checks etc. are required

So for NACHI MEMBERSHIP to talk about this issue is a good thing. If we are going to be the leader and a very open org lets get some of these issues on the table without calling each other A S S holes -- I think that a HI company that has many HI's on staff is bending over big time if they do not do BI's on their people -- so why would it not be proper for the one man company to be able to say to a client that he meets or passes the standards of his or her competitor??

I would pay for a BI on myself through NACHI so that my clients knew that I was trustworthy to be in their home and around their young kids (16 year old daughter -- dog -- 22 year old wife etc.)

Items of this nature might be good additions to our SOP

"I will not enter into a space that might be a hazard to me or my client"

Well --

Time for open BI time on the board -- who thinks this is a bad idea??

Boy I wish there was something good on TV!!!

rlb

rlb

Originally Posted By: ekartal5

This for the most part of course would be of benefit only to the consumer. I would hope there is not even the slightest thought of using the b-check clearance as a marketing tool. If nobody knows except us and the cops, where is the benefit? icon_smile.gif

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: bmerrell

Who is to say that a NACHI members may decide to publicize the Background check-

If CMI is for marketing, why would the background check be public when Joe Farsetta said the CMI would not be permitted even on the board, other than to use as a marketing tool.

Looks like Big Brother is us. Are we willing to have a select few check out our backgrounds. Who checks their backgrounds first. And who checks the backgrounds of those who check their backgrounds. Paranoia may be part of the NACHI SOP.

I certainly hope not.

This thread should die, since the CMI is now truly dead.

Bill,

I did not mean to convey there were or are any plans to market the background checks. Actually quite the opposite. I’m trying to get someone to tell me why this background thing will be of benefit to anyone. That’s all.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Erol,

I agree with you then- obviously background checks seem to be a crazy thing- what are we going to say- Hi, I’ve been a NACHI member for years, and now that I am about to become a CMI I had a background check and it’s okay I am now a CMI. Otherwise, I will stay a NACHI members with a criminal record.

Doesn't sound thought out.

Who wanted a criminal background check? For only CMI's or everyone?

Let's start, anyone who wants to, can pay and mail theirs in the NACHI for it to be published. I am sure we will get overwelmed with mail on this one.

That doesn't sound very viable. I didn't realize that we were afraid of NACHI members being criminals. Should we finger print members at our next chapter meeting? It probably would lower attendance.

Erol- Not directed to you, but the idea of Background checks unless on everyone is simply nuts!

Have a great rest of the weekend

Thanks Bill. I just didn’t explain it well. Another long, bitter cold day in Chicago. I’m all for the CMI because there’s a benefit to consumers. The I.D. thing is another story.

Cheers Erol

Originally Posted By: lungar

James;

I am going to be nice about this, your mental condition is your own problem and beleive me I am far from being like you. You might be the investigateing reporter for the IQ but to me your nothing more than a roach. You might get your gollies from createing havoc but I don’t blame you altogether because Nick could put a stop to it but for some reason doesn’t. Why heaven only knows. I have a better idea, lets shut down Nachi and start all over again because everyone has to get a background check before becomeing a member. Buy the way what ever became of your problem with your own so called bussiness corp’s that shut you up for awhile, and now your back starting all over again.

I cannot understand why people are against going foward, if you just want to be a Nachi member good, but if something is put together for the membership to increase there knowledge and stature I think that's great.
If you are not interested in it you just don't do it, [forgetaboutit] and move on.

It just so happens that with licensing in NY all applications state or should I say ask if you have a past record, if so you cannot get licensed.
I know some people might fib but if the get caught they are out of bussiness plus fined and maybe even meet BaBa if you no what I mean.

James;
I really don't care what you do or say just leave me alone, My oppinion of you is from your past on the B/B in the meantime let me say.
Have a Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year to you and yours.

Regards Len

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Quote:
Now for a "little sense" -- welcome to the new world -- If we do work for certain clients -- schools - insurance companies - banks - the government etc. -- BI's -- credit checks etc. are required

Yes, but we do not work for NACHI nor does NACHI issue a governmental license of any type.

If anyone feels that a background check is a must for their business, either for the clients piece of mind or for your marketing efforts, I suggest you speak with a reputable bonding agency that will provide you with a method to provide your background status to clients.

Another method available to you is to order a "Consumer Information Report" on yourself from one of the largest agecies supplying them, i.e. Lexis Nexis. You can have a certified/notorized copy cretaed and present this to your clients for viewing or even place it on your WEB site as a marketing tool if you are so inclined.

--
Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!

Originally Posted By: jrivera

Hey, that would be one heck of a way to slam your competition out of the ballpark.

"Hi there happy home owner wanna be ! You should hire me for your inspection because back in August 2003, the other guy (my competition) Frank N. Stein, H.I.,C.M.I. got a summons for jay-walking !!!"

"Now you wouldn't want your kids having people like that over the house, so why should YOU. Be a good example to your kids. Hire me I'm jaywalk free (well I haven't been caught yet)"

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Emmanuel Scanlan,

Well said- As NACHI members we joined. We have rights as members, and it is not the other way around. NACHI was created to benefit those who wish to work in a professional capacity as home inspectors.

To require background checks, corporate searches, whats next IRS validations. Do we even give our Employer ID # or SS#- I wouldn't. There may be criminals as per the prior posts that may want to use it for bad reasons.

Len, I have no plans on meeting Buba, and Mickey- I have no intention of stopping short. That is why I don't have plans of a future residence with a jump suit made out of day-glow colors with numbers on my back.

To require criminal checks would only work if it started when NACH was formed. I agree with Len. It would require everyone to start all over. No NACHI. Everyone would have to reapply to NACHI, and if you met the criminal check, and whatever other checks the investigation staff dictated
than you would be admitted. If not, then you are barred from NACHI.

I did not know I needed a security clearance to join NACHI. Is that in the new SOP?

This was the CMI Cancelled thread. It is now the, we need to investigate each member of NACHI to prove to the world that we should be a membership group thread. I think the criminal check idea is nuts. Automobile Club of America, AARP and even Blockbuster Video should perform these criminal checks before allowing you to become a member. Doesn't this sound silly, paranoid. Yes it does.

If you want to produce your criminal record, or lack of a criminal record, send it to NACHI and they will post it publicly for all to see. But we can't display the CMI if it were to occur. Does that sound reasonable either? No!

I just can't wait to see how many people want criminal checks for members. I, like many would be willing to submit to a criminal background check, and would that information, if publicly displayed make those who agree to a background check superior to other NACHI members?

Let this thread die the horrible death it should have 7 pages ago. No CMI
course, we all know this! No detailed outline for members to sell to schools.

I resigned from the CMI Committee, since I didn't like what I was seeing happening. I was right. Everyone who was on the Committee I spoke to agrees.

I doubt that there will be future volunteer committees working to put together a new course, etc. only to have so much controversy. What's a shame is that over 6,800 of the 7,000 members aren't involved in the controversy. As Len said, if you don't want to participate in the program, then don't.

Mickey-

You are right- Being a j-walker could cause trouble for your competition. What if we videoed the j-walking but there was not an actual arrest. Could that still be deemed criminal, or less than NACHI material.

Poparazzi may be everywhere with the new NACHI regs, if adopted. Do they get paid per photo or per video.

Bill if you are attending the convention would you please take a group photo with about 500-600 members in handcuffs and shackles. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Erol Kartal
ProInspect