CMI poll

That may in fact be the case with Rita-The-Realtor as she doesn’t know the difference between NACHI, ASHI et al, but Joe Homeowner is much smarter then you give him credit for.

Of course, JH is fairly good at detecting BS, so if CMI remains an MMG (meaningless marketing gimmick), don’t expect him to GAS (give a $hit). :smiley:

Funny, Joe - there has been only one voice on this MB calling for a NACHI strategic organizational plan for the last year - and it ain’t yours!

Also, you may note that the original post you quoted mentioned specifically identifying a few clearly defined goals as our starting point. Or are you in such a rush to pontificate that you forget to read?

I have developed Strategic Organizational Plans for 4 non-profits, 1 University (then a college), 3 small businesses, 2 capital campaigns and 6 political campaigns. I know a little about planning.

This is clearly a move designed to start over and develop a REAL plan. The first step is identifying goals. Then a SWOT analysis.

It seems to me that you stumble through life mistaking self-love for admiration, age for wisdom, and repetition for applicable knowledge. It probably works on those who don’t know any better, but it isn;t any way to form a successful or useful Strategic Plan.

Joe M - Bullseye!

Hey maybe you’d like to do a little distance consulting work for a state inspectors organization her in Wisconsin, as soon as some of us do a little house cleaning with new elections.

Richard,

I think this is an important point to consider. Almost no one in the real estate industry, nor most homeowners understand what “ICC certified” means. It is a real and difficult to obtain designation that does improve the inspector, although clearly, it doesn’t make much of a marketing tool (few advertise such as it raises potential liability and too few really understand the designation).

That said, you come out of it with a wealth of knowledge and I guarantte you will be a better inspector.

This is my own vision for how CMI could be a useful desigantion. It has nothing to do with marketability, although it is a lot more intuative for people to understand than ICC. It has everything to do with raising the knowledge and expertise of home inspectors.

Obviously, it will be marketed by those who obtain it since it can be easily understood by the general public. I cannot see any way to avoid that. The real goal is to make it mean something by setting a high educational bar.

I am not one who insists that there must be a magic number of years in business and inspections perfromed. ICC certification is available to anyone - even those who are not inspectors no never spent a single day in an inspection class. It still is a significant accomplishment and well regarded in the industry.

It is a process to arrive at the final product, but one that should be goverened by concrete goals and a good strategic plan. This is my area of strength and will likely be what I can contribute to the committee process.

Love to! Planning is a bizarre hobby, but it allows me to channel some of that anal retentive side of me without making those around me crazy with OCD behaviors!!

I know what you mean. The tendency can be to plan so much that before you know it the opportunity is gone :wink: but it would make a great career as long as one can delegate the doing part.

http://www2.lut.fi/~junousia/hymiot/think/serlokki6ld.gif

Isn’t there a spell check here somewhere? For all the improvements, not having one is the pits. I hate having to proof read so much.

I didn’t see one, but i haven’t looked recently. My typing/spelling is brutal, too.

Deleted by request.

Joe T

I agree

rlb

Yeah, I’ll give you credit for experience, but seeing where you ended up, maybe you just were not good at it, you think?

Or maybe he does this for fun on the side?

I do know that he’s one of the most knowledgeable people in regards to planning and structure that I’ve seen on the boards.

But that’s just my opinion. And we all know what that is worth! :wink:

I am for the CMI idea but would like to see a few
qualification to make sure someone who has this
certification is not a novice (someone who has done
little or no actual home inspections).

I see this thing proving itself worthy in the eyes of
other inspection professionals when it not only takes
in certain education goals but also it should require
some visible accomplishments.

Texas will not let you sponsor another inspector
unless you can turn in some logs to show a few
hundred (I dont remember the exact number)
inspections accomplished. Just the fact that you
can hang in their long enough to survive a few
hundred inspections shows you have more than
the guy that has not done any at all.

Experience does mean something and should not
be thrown out. Experience combined with some
education goals adds a sense of reality to the
CMI certification.

Without including some kind of verifiable experience
in the CMI qualifications, it just seems to lack the
“punch” to look down to earth and credible.

Which one of us would want anyone to do a job for
us that sold himself as a “MASTER anything” and
then you found out he was still a raw novice.

Just a marketing ploy in the hands of novices will
make inspectors ashamed to to wear the CMI badge,
in the long run.

I like the CMI idea. I sense that Nick agrees with
what I am saying and if you read between his lines,
the CMI idea will evolve into just what I am talking about.

Once the schools catch-up with the idea and the
market place puts pressure on the CMI board to
created some verifiable qualifications, you will
see it mature and stand on its own.

CMI maturity is coming… probably faster than we think,
IMHO… but I cannot tell the future, but only hope.

Nick is a good salesman but also has some common sense.
He does not show all of his cards until its the right time. :wink:

John McKenna
25 Years Construction Exp.
American Home Inspection
http://texas-inspection.com

:smiley: Actually, a truly effective plan makes the parts largely interchangable, and accomodates for even “indispensible” people leaving (much as a good NACHI plan would lay out the plan for NACHI growth and success even without Nick).

I do the planning mostly in a volunteer capacity for non-profit boards, generally when they are considering start-up, major growth, or a capital campaign. (I used to do it for pay, but it is more of a hobby than soething I enjoy as a profession)

The political stuff was the most fun, but made me a mean and bitter person that I did not enjoy being. I can be ruthless and calculating, but I do not enjoy it, and in the end, I needed to move on.

John, Nick posted this at another current thread:

Blaine, John and I came up with one one time:

A total of 1,000 (CE hours + fee-paid inspections) with a minimum of 100 in each category, plus our high COE and a background check.

Greg, would you support this simple formula?

Glad you are on the MAB and that NACHI has access to your talents, call me if you need help with the ruthless and calculating thingy.

You know you’re my guy for both!:smiley:

:smiley: The school “marms” didn’t like it and abolished the above requirements immediately. Heck, this was almost a year ago when the three of us, (actually Blaine) came up with this. I never really heard the reason(s) why they felt it unacceptable.

Perhaps someone from the committee could enlighten us.

I’m guessing it pretty damned hard for vendors to make money off of experience. If they can’t cash in, what chance did it stand?

Let me outline an old program of my past and see if it will work for the CMI

Background check
Education
Testing
On the Job training
Testing
Board review
Certification
Assignment to duty station
On the Job training
Qualified watch stander review
Re Certification
Spot check board review

In the above order

Time window about two years – age about 20 plus years of age. Pay per year about 30K plus perks - no education loan to pay off

---- Now lets become a CMI — CAN YOU INSPECT A HOME?? until you can demonstrate to other HI’s that you can then you are not one. Yes if they are happy with your education, # of inspections, years of exp., past background, peer review, on site inspection performance and your $$ then you are a master

Lets get real here - if the existing masters are going to train the new masters then they better be qualified with their existing peers and be able to teach the next generation

I can

What about you??

rlb

— This is how you qualify to operate a neucular power plant on a sub for the USN

The ability to teach & do are mutually exclusive and in no way interdependent, furthermore placing responsibility to teach the next generation on a master inspector is an undue burden.

If a master inspector can earn multiples of what a rank & file inspector can earn, why does it become the master’s responsibility to cease his productivity to now teach his lessor competitors? Learning is always the responsibility of the student, it is much more likely that those who can’t do… teach.