CMI poll

I didn’t see one, but i haven’t looked recently. My typing/spelling is brutal, too.

Deleted by request.

Joe T

I agree

rlb

Yeah, I’ll give you credit for experience, but seeing where you ended up, maybe you just were not good at it, you think?

Or maybe he does this for fun on the side?

I do know that he’s one of the most knowledgeable people in regards to planning and structure that I’ve seen on the boards.

But that’s just my opinion. And we all know what that is worth! :wink:

I am for the CMI idea but would like to see a few
qualification to make sure someone who has this
certification is not a novice (someone who has done
little or no actual home inspections).

I see this thing proving itself worthy in the eyes of
other inspection professionals when it not only takes
in certain education goals but also it should require
some visible accomplishments.

Texas will not let you sponsor another inspector
unless you can turn in some logs to show a few
hundred (I dont remember the exact number)
inspections accomplished. Just the fact that you
can hang in their long enough to survive a few
hundred inspections shows you have more than
the guy that has not done any at all.

Experience does mean something and should not
be thrown out. Experience combined with some
education goals adds a sense of reality to the
CMI certification.

Without including some kind of verifiable experience
in the CMI qualifications, it just seems to lack the
“punch” to look down to earth and credible.

Which one of us would want anyone to do a job for
us that sold himself as a “MASTER anything” and
then you found out he was still a raw novice.

Just a marketing ploy in the hands of novices will
make inspectors ashamed to to wear the CMI badge,
in the long run.

I like the CMI idea. I sense that Nick agrees with
what I am saying and if you read between his lines,
the CMI idea will evolve into just what I am talking about.

Once the schools catch-up with the idea and the
market place puts pressure on the CMI board to
created some verifiable qualifications, you will
see it mature and stand on its own.

CMI maturity is coming… probably faster than we think,
IMHO… but I cannot tell the future, but only hope.

Nick is a good salesman but also has some common sense.
He does not show all of his cards until its the right time. :wink:

John McKenna
25 Years Construction Exp.
American Home Inspection
http://texas-inspection.com

:smiley: Actually, a truly effective plan makes the parts largely interchangable, and accomodates for even “indispensible” people leaving (much as a good NACHI plan would lay out the plan for NACHI growth and success even without Nick).

I do the planning mostly in a volunteer capacity for non-profit boards, generally when they are considering start-up, major growth, or a capital campaign. (I used to do it for pay, but it is more of a hobby than soething I enjoy as a profession)

The political stuff was the most fun, but made me a mean and bitter person that I did not enjoy being. I can be ruthless and calculating, but I do not enjoy it, and in the end, I needed to move on.

John, Nick posted this at another current thread:

Blaine, John and I came up with one one time:

A total of 1,000 (CE hours + fee-paid inspections) with a minimum of 100 in each category, plus our high COE and a background check.

Greg, would you support this simple formula?

Glad you are on the MAB and that NACHI has access to your talents, call me if you need help with the ruthless and calculating thingy.

You know you’re my guy for both!:smiley:

:smiley: The school “marms” didn’t like it and abolished the above requirements immediately. Heck, this was almost a year ago when the three of us, (actually Blaine) came up with this. I never really heard the reason(s) why they felt it unacceptable.

Perhaps someone from the committee could enlighten us.

I’m guessing it pretty damned hard for vendors to make money off of experience. If they can’t cash in, what chance did it stand?

Let me outline an old program of my past and see if it will work for the CMI

Background check
Education
Testing
On the Job training
Testing
Board review
Certification
Assignment to duty station
On the Job training
Qualified watch stander review
Re Certification
Spot check board review

In the above order

Time window about two years – age about 20 plus years of age. Pay per year about 30K plus perks - no education loan to pay off

---- Now lets become a CMI — CAN YOU INSPECT A HOME?? until you can demonstrate to other HI’s that you can then you are not one. Yes if they are happy with your education, # of inspections, years of exp., past background, peer review, on site inspection performance and your $$ then you are a master

Lets get real here - if the existing masters are going to train the new masters then they better be qualified with their existing peers and be able to teach the next generation

I can

What about you??

rlb

— This is how you qualify to operate a neucular power plant on a sub for the USN

The ability to teach & do are mutually exclusive and in no way interdependent, furthermore placing responsibility to teach the next generation on a master inspector is an undue burden.

If a master inspector can earn multiples of what a rank & file inspector can earn, why does it become the master’s responsibility to cease his productivity to now teach his lessor competitors? Learning is always the responsibility of the student, it is much more likely that those who can’t do… teach.

Joe

There you go again. You look at better inspectors as a problem. The faster that we can get ALL inspectors higher up the ladder the better. The masters are the leaders and the standard of the profession end of story. They are the knowledge bank. The are to be held to a high standard.

The faster that a person can get good the higher the $$ are for all

And is not that what this is all about?

rlb

CMI is here to stay .
You all can keep kicking and screeming as much as you wish or you can get on board and make it better the choice is yours.

Just remember take a pail of water put in you Hand wave it around as hard as you can pull out your hand and the hole left in the water is the same size as the hole you will make when you give up.

I go back to when Electricians where not licensed ,
Both my brothers where given there license I had to serve an pprenticeship.
In 5 years we all where great electricians.
This is exactly where we are now.
keep screeming or go with flow the choice is yours.

Roy Cooke sr. RHI …Royshomeinspection.com …OAHI-on

A quote from Stephen Colbert’s commencement address at Knox College:
"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blinder, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us.

Cynics always say ‘no.’ But saying ‘yes’ begins things. Saying ‘yes’ is how things grow. Saying ‘yes’ leads to knowledge. ‘Yes’ is for young people. So for as long as you have the strength to, say yes."
I wish that I had said the above

rlb

YES, I see no inevitability of CMI, it is an illusion perpetrated by a myth. Where licensing will someday be mandatory, CMI will never court such favor. Furthermore, if experience is continued to be left out of the equation, I would expect CMI to be remembered only as a bad idea enshrined as a regrettable blemish on our profession… Time will tell.

Joe

We train people every day to do quality jobs with no experience. A person can come from a number of other professions and be a good HI - even a Master.

CMI right now is an educational badge. Some badges are for just taking a test. Some are for just sending in $$ and a certain # of inspections to use their Logo etc.

The market will also tell if one is good. If a person, by your idea of good, is not qualified to inspect a dog house gives the client what he wants, what is the problem?

Sometimes a client must learn the hard way – Lets not count on the Government to protect the population against all ills. Heck they can’t even do a good job with a little wind storm along to Gulf coast.

People learned about waiting for the gov bus –

CMI shows one did not just get off the boat. You probably know that to qualify for a licence in NY you almost have enough hrs to be a master and you have some field experience. No exam at all.

The FCC once had commercial radio licenses and they deregulated. All the time and $$ that many payed to get that licence went down the drain. It also helped to kill a complete industry because it allowed everyone with a test box to get into the profession. The quality of communication for the clients went UP

We will get your mind right yet

Have a good week end

rlb

Should keep you busy for a while I expect. :smiley: Here is a thought to help you on your way… The mind grows narrow in proportion as the soul grows corrupt.