CMI poll

State of Nevada probably will give NACHI a new approach toward inspectors there…for the worse.

We should ask Nick to forward any correspondence our attorneys have had with regard to this and Nevada. Actually, I am a bit surprised over what I learned, but apparently a Federal Trademark, in this case, trumps the State’s ability to use the designation legally.

Time will tell.

If this is so, then I imagine that ASHi inspectors that advertise to the public that they are a “Certified Master Inspector” would need to remove such advertising, should they get a “cease and desist” letter from NACHI attorneys.
Yes?

If the trademark is upheld (I believe ASHI is trying to quash it as we speak), then the answer is most probably “yes”.

Like I said, I guess time will tell.

Send your money here

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=888

Or try this…:smiley:

http://www.nachi.org/joyofcommercialinspections2006.htm

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t ESA use CMI as their Certified Mold Inspector??

Maybe. They better begin to cower in fear, as the infringment police will soon have them beaten into submission and their patches with such designation will be ripped from their chests!

Or maybe nothing will happen to them…

Joe M…

The sarcasm is pretty funny.

Like I said before, only time will tell…

Thanks, Joe! Ya have to keep a sense of humor about it all!

In the words of my patron saint, Jimmy Buffett: “If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”

I called Joe Michalski today to tell him something. I goofed. CMI requirements are anti-consumer and not very inclusive toward inspectors who are willing to do what is necessary to attain.

When I’m wrong, and come to believe I’m wrong, I admit it. So, today I admit it.

I understand that performing a number of inspections and being in business a number of years is indicitive of experience but performing a number of unsupervised inspections means little. And waiting for PlanetNACHI (ooops I mean earth) to go around the sun a certain number of times means even less. Advanced education must be the basis for CMI.

Dis-incentive-izing a newer inspector from seeking the CMI professional designation is anti-consumer. A newer inspector needs MORE advanced education (not less) to offset his/her lack of experience. And so do his/her clients! Consumers are also the beneficiary of having more education available to inspectors early on in their career (when they need it most). This is in harmony with NACHI’s historical policy of frontloading membership requirements ahead of the application process http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm unlike those Candidate diploma mill associations. Why should we prohibit an inspector who wants advanced education from getting it, or make him do inspections for consumers while he waits for PlanetNACHI (oops again, I mean earth) to go around the sun? We shouldn’t.

We should use CMI to raise our industry to the level of a profession… and we can… and we will.

Hence: http://www.nachi.org/micb2006.htm

Onwards and upwards.

It sounds warm & fuzzy when you say that advanced education is more important then experience and I’m sure you even have your CMI committee member’s heads bobbing in enthuisaim… But, the reality is you just can’t shortcut real experience no matter how much education you have, too sorry. Experience is the other side of the education coin and is inseparable from true professionalism… It’s like trying to bake a cake without eggs, you can do it, but no one’s buying it.

Joe

How one gets the information in the “MIND” is the question. Education can be in many forms. Doing a lot of poor inspections until you go out of business is not good experience.

Here is my problem – “The new board” - Its make up should be INSPECTORS - not educators –

Perhaps I don’t understand

I do like the new direction that the CMI program is taking but we still have some work to do. And NACHI goes around the sun again (Maybe the sun goes around NACHI)

I would like to see the board and the qualifications modeled after the Navy Master CPO board. It has worked for many years to select MASTER chief PO’s.

rlb

Richard,

I couldn’t agree more. However, it looks to me as though this is no longer a NACHI program or designation. A separate entity has been set up and the rights to the logo and designation have been handed over to them.

I wish them nothing but the best of luck in this endeavor.

It will be interesting to see the qualifications once they have been posted on their website.

Hey Richard,

Would you submit your critically injured child to a physician who claimed that he obtained his education and skill through a mail-order school and passed an on-line open-book quiz to obtain his doctorate, or would you rather have the one who attended an accredited university and fulfilled a post-graduate internship?

The question is not so much how the education was obtained, but if the student really got it, now I realize that having obtained an accredited education and fulfilling an internship is no guarantee of excellence, but it sure does measure commitment. The vast number of ‘new’ home inspectors are a result of the real estate boom and not due to a religious awakening, when the boom has ended there will be subsequent reduction of home inspectors returning to selling hearing aids, count on it.

And by that time a lot of the aging hip-hop listeners will have lost their hearing to those 30" subwoofers in the back seat of their cars and those returning to their sales jobs will be rolling in dough while the rest of us are working at Mickey D’s.

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/music/musik38.gif

http://www.msnemoticons4u.com/foodanddrinks/macdonalds.gif

**TIM McGRAW LYRICS

**"Do You Want Fries With That?"

I thought that was your voice
I thought that was my car
Now we ain’t ever met before
But I know who you are
You’re living in my house
And I’m living in a tent
And don’t laugh, this second job of mine
Is paying both our rents
You’re out here buying Happy Meals
And I’m eating rice and pintos
You so much as crack a smile at me, man
I’ll come through this here window

Well you took my wife
And you took my kids
And you took that life
That I used to live
My pride, the pool, the boat, my tools, my dreams, the dog, the cat
Yeah I think that’s just about everything
Oh I almost forgot
Do you want fries with that?

Your ketchup’s in the bag
And a check is in the mail
I hope your chicken’s raw inside
And I hope your bun is stale
I’m supposed to tell you
“Please come back”
But how bout this instead?
I hope you both choke on a pickle
Man, that would tickle me to death
I don’t know what you’re waiting on
You’re holding up the line
Oh man, you ain’t got no change coming back
Are you out of your mind?

Well you took my wife
And you took my kids
And you took that life
That I used to live
Yeah I think that’s all there is

Well you took my wife
And you took my kids
And you took that life
That I used to live
Yeah I think that about covers it

**TIM McGRAW LYRICS

**“Do You Want Fries With That?”

I thought that was your voice
I thought that was my car
Now we ain’t ever met before
But I know who you are
You’re living in my house
And I’m living in a tent
And don’t laugh, this second job of mine
Is paying both our rents
You’re out here buying Happy Meals
And I’m eating rice and pintos
You so much as crack a smile at me, man
I’ll come through this here window

Well you took my wife
And you took my kids
And you took that life
That I used to live
Yeah I think that’s just about everything
Oh I almost forgot

Your ketchup’s in the bag
And a check is in the mail
I hope your chicken’s raw inside
And I hope your bun is stale
I’m supposed to tell you
“Please come back”
But how bout this instead?
I hope you both choke on a pickle
Man, that would tickle me to death
I don’t know what you’re waiting on
You’re holding up the line
Oh man, you ain’t got no change coming back
Are you out of your mind?

Well you took my wife
And you took my kids
And you took that life
That I used to live
Yeah I think that’s all there is

Well you took my wife
And you took my kids
And you took that life
That I used to live
Yeah I think that about covers it

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/atil/forum/haha4.gif

I think this shows some courage on Nick’s part to see the deep division in the membership on the CMI issue and to opt to hand it over so that it can become an eduactional tool that spurs development among people.

With all due respect Joe B, no one in this industry is operating on a critically injured child. That is a false anaolgy using an intentionally sympathetic core to generate a desired response. It has no basis here. I personally think experience is important, but far less so than education in this industry.

You can learn an amazing amount about what is needed by viewing several types of heating units, construction methods and techniques, reading and comprehending electricity and panels, etc. All of these help make a superior inspector.

An uneducated inspector can look at homes all day and still do a lousy job 500 inspections later.

The CMI should be about attaining a high level of education about homes, systems, and features. A “Masters,” which is what this equates to, does not require a practicum (and is the logical corollary as opposed to your MD analogy).

I misread your post and objections the first time through. It seems you have an issue with ensuring positive ID for testing. Don’t you think that Promissor can be duped with fake id’s? If someone is going to cheat on the online exam, wouldn’t they cheat on the proctored one?

I guess if your point is: make it at least a little harder to cheat, then ok. It seems like a small degree of difference to me, but if that somehow makes this seem bulletproof
(and hence “more acceptable”) to people then so be it. It’s all about perception - which becomes the reality.

In the end, this is about education and nothing else. And I applaud Nick for listening to the membership and remaining true to what I love so much about NACHI.