CMI publishes very good article on building science.

Ice dams and roofing problems here in Sault Ste Marie On.
Many of the brick buildings built with veneer have very high moisture problems in the basement also. Some dress up the basement by installing laminate flooring with improper installation practices. The other ones have carpet over concrete and you know what that means.:frowning:
It seems like very few think that moisture can come from the concrete floor.

I hope you were able to make the corrections without reading the article again Will.

Not a big concern in my area ,WE are In Canada but get very little snow .
Most of the time not enough to run a snow machine .
Our Temp is not real cold very often .
My heart goes out to you when I hear what you get … Roy

Roy and Will:

It is very cold in Sault Ste Marie On. Lots of snow and up down temperatures make it very hard to get it right when it comes to building a home without ice dams and cold wet basements.:frowning:
The houses on the shore line are designed different to combat the problem of more moisture and the ones that I have inspected have faired well for the conditions of shore-line regions.:slight_smile:

Something just not right about you being in Canada, and you’re further South than I am!!! :shock::wink:

Just did them. Thanks.

Before I finished My basement I lowered the sump to make sure the floor was about 7 inches above
the water table ( it only runs for a short period November and April.
Put in a Dehumidifier it seldom runs always below 50%.
Dry core so floor has ventilation . Works great for us .

Also, don’t finish the walls with regular drywall. For the first course, us fiberglass faced drywall or wood beadboard. It won’t mold as easy.

Hope this helps;

Some of the water tables on the shore line houses have it just below the basement floor level. The weeping systems installed go all the way to the shore line.
Check this dumb picture of the one I inspected last week.:frowning:

Some houses just should not have basements.