CNN/Money article promotes ASHI

Originally Posted By: Phil Petroska
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Check out the link below to a recent CNN/Money article by contributing columnist Gerri Willis.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/23/pf/saving/willis_tips/

The title of the article is:

"Home inspection basics

5 Tips: Getting good information from your home inspection."

Unfortunately, it reads like an ASHI press release giving their website address and stating that "Members of ASHI have 250 hours of paid inspections under their belts."

Someone from our organization should contact her and enlighten her and others in the press about NACHI and how being an ASHI inspector is not a guarantee of competence.

By the way, I am a member, I don't know why it says I'm not on the margin.

--
Phil Petroska, Certified Home Inspector
North Country Home Inspections
Serving Maine & New Hampshire
http://northcountryhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Guest

I don’t know, Phil. I thought it was well written and informative.

Jim Morrison

Originally Posted By: psabados

Quote:
such as the roof, ask your inspector to take some Polaroids so you can at least eyeball the area, too.

Not very much up to date though. Polariods? Does anyone use Polariods anymore. The five or so references to ASHI were most likely made because she attended an ASHI bootcamp for reporters and reporterette's. Wonder why she didn't make reference to the lower in stature Candidate with less than 250 inspectections. May she doesnt realize that they too can inspect. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Oh well just another slightly slanted and skewed article with some good points.

Paul

Originally Posted By: jhand

of inspection but I thought it was 250 inspections. Ah… but I guess that A$HI inspections are only an hour long.

Jim

Originally Posted By: Guest

Jim,

You flatter us. While I suppose that there are some ASHI members who are so smart, so disciplined, and so efficient as to be able to do a proper home inspection in an hour, most of us take much longer than that. I'll bet they time Jerry Peck with a calendar.

My guess is that the author of that article misunderstood the ASHI membership requirements.

You can't believe everything you read,

Jim

Originally Posted By: mbartels

Watch CNN’s money channel during the day. In the afternoon there is a half hour show devoted to real estate and A$hi plays commercials during this 1/2 hour. I hate to say it but it was a nice commercial.

They are definitely putting the branding money to work. I have heard countless ads on the radio and now the t.v. spot. I guess we will see if it works in the long run.