CO Gas Detectors and Analyzers for home inspections

I’m looking to buy a CO detector. What types are good and which ones should I stay away from. Any ideas out there???

I have a TIf 8900. It works great. I have detected aprox 6 gas leaks since I started. It is essential for home inspectors.

The Tif 8900** doesn’t** detect CO… it only detects **Combustible **compounds…

http://www.inspectortools.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TI8900&gclid=CMP-wbGJvbMCFcxAMgodAgcAlA

Partial List of Detectable Compounds w/minimum detectable concentration

• Acetylene 50 ppm
  • Iso-Butane (R600a) 500 ppm
  • Methane 500 ppm
  • Ethane (R170) 500 ppm
  • Propane (R290) 500 ppm
  • Ethylene 500 ppm
  • Hydrogen 500 ppm
  • Methyl Ether 500 ppm
  • Vinyl Chloride 5 ppm
  • Methyl Chloride 5 ppm
  • Hydrogen Sulfide 5 ppm
  • Acetone 50 ppm
  • Methanol 50 ppm
  • Ammonia (R717) 20 ppm
  • Gasoline 1 ppm
  • Chlorine 1 ppm

Okay great I will look into it further thanks for the info.

Hmm never really thought about that. The TIF 8900 will detect leaks from heat exchangers, flues, natural and propane gas lines. I can’t imagine you need anything more. From what I have heard, some inspectors don’t have anything!

I use a rattler. Works great and I can hook it to my belt.
http://www.indsci.com/t40/

I’ve never owned one. I’m still alive and so are my clients.

Don’t work in unfinished, rarely used, sealed off for the winter, basements very often, do you? :wink:

When was the last time you saw an article about a home inspector who died from CO while doing an inspection? Even getting sick?

The last person I am worried about regarding this topic is myself…

As Juan has stated, I am more concerned about my clients, but to address your question… no article, but it has happened to me (sick not died), and to another inspector that I personally know, in my general area. And NO, it wasn’t a Meth house.

Crucify me and attack me all you want but home inspectors should be morally compelled to detect for gas leaks.

Interesting thread. Someone should do a poll to see how many HIs use a CO detector. I’d be interested in knowing. Maybe I’m way off.

I do check for fuel gas and often find leaks.

Go for it.

I don’t believe there has ever been a death from CO because of a cracked heat exchanger…many CO deaths from other causes such as blocked venting, BBQing indoors, cars left running in garages, etc.
I’d like to be proven wrong so send me a link to a reliable article if you have one.

PS - If you do a search on gas detectors you will see previous posts on the problems they can create for you.

There’s a first time for everything. Do you want to be the first inspector in line for this to happen to?

i bet they have caused plenty of headaches… just saying…

Was that a pun?

I agree, and most here prolly thought it was “just” a headache! :wink: