Code help needed

Originally Posted By: roconnor
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

roconnor wrote:
A bathroom receptacle is actually required to be within 3' of the sink (NEC 210.52.D.

That is correct within 3' of the sink it is not required to be within 3' of the shower stall.

In fact 530.13(F) prohibits the installation of an receptacle outlets in or within 30" of bathtub spaces. (Mobile and Manufactured homes)

Quote:
530.13(F) Receptacle Outlets Not Permitted. Receptacle outlets shall not be permitted in the following locations:

(1)Receptacle outlets shall not be installed in or within reach [750 mm (30 in.)] of a shower or bathtub space.

roconnor wrote:
Probably why it rubbed you the wrong way

It certainly does rub me the wrong way, a outlet on the wall opposite the shower head within 8" of being in the shower.

That to me is a serious safety concern, there is usually another side to the sink that the outlet can be installed on to be near the sink and still out of the shower.

A GFCI ALMOST NEVER prevents someone from receiving a shock, all a GFCI can do is limit the duration of the shock, the trip point is 5 ma but before the GFCI opens the circuit the person is exposed to a full 120 volts and countless amps.

A GFCI protected circuit can still kill and steps should be taken to prevent exposure to a shock not just count on the GFCI to operate quick enough.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Bob … we are on the same page. I would list it as a “Concern” … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Jerry:

Sounded OK to me, and I will add the following FPN from 90.1(B)

Quote:
FPN:Hazards often occur because of overloading of wiring systems by methods or usage not in conformity with this Code.

This occurs because initial wiring did not provide for increases in the use of electricity.

An initial adequate installation and reasonable provisions for system changes will provide for future increases in the use of electricity.

There are far too many people who are doing electrical work that have no training or experience in the industry. I would think that we can all agree and it is a terrible situation around the USA!

PS: The word "Adequate" is not supposed to be used in accordance with the NEC style manual! It is a vague and undefined term!

Go to www.nfpa.org and search for the most recent 2003 version.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Scott Spradlin

Daniel,

I can't tell much about the beam other than what you described and it looks like a T shape (upside down) rather than an I-beam. Maybe it is an I-beam and the top flange is just coped out? It is also not possible to tell from the picture how it is loaded. Is it a T or an I beam? A 30 foot span seems unacceptable to me based on the viewable cross section, but I'm not an expert and would recommend a Licensed Structural Engineer to be safe. I have my doubts that a Structural Engineer would approve it.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Ricky,

I see 3rd floor habitable spaces in wooden structures, absent of sprinklers all the time. These residences have valid COs, appraise, and have clear titles.

Are you sure you are not speaking of rental properties, 'cause in Rockland and Orange, I dont see them ever being flagged. New construction may be something completely different...

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Dan Weber

Dan,

Here is the correct answer to your question on the receptacle. According to the 2002 NEC, under artical 210-52(d) page 91, it states “(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900mm(3ft) of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the basin or basin counter top.”

So the receptacle in question here is within code However as an electrician in the army I would not have located that receptacle in that exact location your picture did not show the other side of the sink but if it could not be located on the other side I would recomentd that a water proof type cover go over the receptacle that is in question.

HOPE THIS HELPS
Engineers Lead the Way!

--
Dan Weber
SSG, US Army
Quality Assurance Inspector
Engineers Lead the Way!

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Dan Weber wrote:
Dan,
Here is the correct answer to your question on the receptacle.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Do you want to expand on what the wrong answers to the question where?

I believe he was given the correct answer a number of times.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Quote:
So the receptacle in question here is within code However as an electrician in the army I would not have located that receptacle in that exact location your picture did not show the other side of the sink but if it could not be located on the other side I would recomentd that a water proof type cover go over the receptacle that is in question.

It was bad design. From next to the receptacle to the other wall was the mirror. However I have seen outlets put in mirror cutouts.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: jpeck

dfrend wrote:
From next to the receptacle to the other wall was the mirror. However I have seen outlets put in mirror cutouts.

As long as they use a 'goof ring' or other approved device to 'extend' the receptacle box out to the face of the mirror.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida