Colt Firearms disconnect

Don’t know if you guys run into this brand very much. I ran across this one the other day, and snapped a pic I thought I’d share. I’d guess it to be 1930’s vintage.

Hi to all,

Looks to be a good caliber switch Mark

sorry, but someone had to go there :wink:

Regards

Gerry

From the patent info, it’s entitled, “Box for Inclosing (sic) Electrical Appurtenances”, filed in 1922 and patented in 1932. I don’t know why Colt’s would have been in that business, but Colt’s was a very self contained (vertical) manufacturing plant, containing the whole manufacturing process from unloading the raw material off the nearby train tracks, to even offering employee housing. Perhaps they first designed it for their own electrical meters. I haven’t heard of Noark. I’m from the Hartford area, and worked inside the Hartford plant before they moved to West Hartford. Samuel Colt, though somewhat reviled in contemporary Hartford society, was ahead of his time with some of his processes. One of his buildings on the complex used the sawtooth windowed roof to maximize natural lighting in the winter and limit it during the summer months. The Colt complex is now being turned into appartments and condos.

Colt made all sorts of products between the two world’s wars, in an effort to keep the skilled workforce engaged. After WWII, the NoArk brand and logo were continued under the Federal banner, as Federal NoArk. The Federal/Pacific partnership brought about the demise of the NoArk brand and family of products. Federal NoArk is not Federal-Pacific, for those who are interested in this sort of stuff. Different generation of product.

Thanks Mark,

I knew this rang a bell, the Noark subject came up a few years ago:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=17101&PHPSESSID=3a26c71e938fa1ae138fee9cf06e10c6

Regards

Gerry