Coming soon: Comprehensive EIFS inspection course. Hot PIC!

Today’s PICs.

Pay no attention to the fat man in the green shirt.

http://www.nachi.org/eifscoursecomingsoon.htm

What else did they do in the first picture at the head of the window to properly ship lap the materials? Over the nail fin on the window instead of behind it.

Like this.

Hello Nick,
My close friend (and neighbour) is on the EIFS Council of Canada board of directors http://www.eifscouncil.org/english/board_of_directors.htm
Let me know if you need some extra input and I will gladly request it.

Adam

Carl, you are going to see things done both correctly and incorrectly in these displays.

That’s right. Studs not 16oc. Did the man in the green shirt tell you what to do? My guess is he’s never ever whacked a 16d nail.

…kind of like a giant Leprechaun…

no beard

lucky-charms.png

…a giant beardless Leprechaun…

He does have a beard, just not a very good one. Thus, a giant, scruffy Leprechaun.

Today’s Pics: http://www.nachi.org/eifscoursecomingsoon.htm

Below are posted the photos from today.
I thought this project was a good idea, but the set (the portable walls with all the stucco and EIFS details) is beginning to look so impressive that developing the rest of the course to match the caliber of the set is looking more challenging with each day these installers spend creating these walls!
They aren’t really “installers”, These guys work for a very successful and busy Colorado company which specializes in fixing failed stucco/EIFS type exterior wall coverings, so they’ve been correctly trained in each system. Correction of these systems is by far the lion’s share of their business.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, we’ll have an expert (Ron Hufffman) to work with during filming who’s company, Exterior Design Institute, has been providing stucco/EIFS consultation for 25 years.

Part of my job as host will be to ask the questions that those who can’t make it to Boulder, CO for the class participating in the making of this video can’t ask. If anyone has questions about anything relating to what they might see during the inspection of any type of exterior wall finish like stuco or EIFS or anything inbetween… send me those questions.

Just watching this set go togther is an education. It’s a prime example of how challenging the whole idea of inspecting strucco-like systems is. Many systems have been developed, often with specialized installation requirements and many or most with inadequate training programs.

Learning to inspect these systems really is doable. This will be the first time that a detailed course has been available online. At any time, inspectors who take this course will be able to refer back to the course material to identify stucco/EIFS system types and defects they observe on inspections.

DSC01181.JPG

DSC01181.JPG

DSC01178.JPG

DSC01199.JPG

DSC01176.JPG

DSC01174.JPG

Is picture #2 a deck ledger board?

Why does the moisture barrier stop under the board at the edge of the flashing and not run all the way up behind it for proper lap of the moisture barrier.

For starters.

Appears builders felt (da black stuff to the right) is overlapping both the flashing and MB

Hard to see from Kansas, I may have a better view from here :wink:

hth

#4 Has the MB over the bottom nailfin.

#3 casing bead tight against the window no room for backer rod and sealant joint.

Kent,

If you would please ask Ron the question I always get from my clients:

Why would anyone want EIFS on their house?

What does it cost to tear it all off and redo with another material? National average sqft ballpark numbers please.

What are the REAL advantages with EIFS considering all of the maintenance costs over the approx. 20 year system life?

I’d really like to hear his replies…

Kenton,

It is looking Great.

I am sure it will help a lot understand what they are looking at.

they have the “repair guys” onsite Carl, don’t worry so much this is all make believe and they are also intentionally building in defects to show us what is wrong as well as right

but your right in your observations even from KS :wink:

I’m sure Ron will explain it all…

I think Kent said they were doing examples the right way, and examples the wrong way, Carl (aka) BadStucco…-----:smiley:

You’re so used to seeing the wrong way, it all looks the same to you-----:lol:

Oops…my EIFS friend from Texas answered it before me…I’m slow Bear----:lol: