Coming soon: Sinkhole inspection course. Free and online.

Good morning Fred and I wouln’t either.

And by the way, that is Division 02 Earthwork, Division01 is General Requirements and General Conditions.

:mrgreen::wink:

Good Moring Marcel----I was referring to Div 1 contractor in Florida whom is a General-Building or Residential contractor certified to build structures.

Off to do a Saturday inspection in beautiful St James City on Pine Island Florida. Happy Derby Day ! Peace out!

:)Have a good one.

what’s the fuss about…no relationship to a sinkhole. My price for the visual inspection must have been to high. She found another G.C.

Her E-mail response to me …

*Tom - I apologize - I did not call you back. The bank is ok with a letter from my contractor after viewing the cracks that they are just settlement cracks and not a threat to the structure. I did not realize that you were still working on this for me. Thank you for all your hard work and your interest and helpfulness to a “lady in distress in Clearwater, Fl.”

I have recommended you to a friend who is looking to change house insurance so maybe you will get some business from him.

Again, my apologies for not being in touch with you better than I was. You are a true gentleman.*

You beat me to the punch! I was going to reply, that an improperly routed downspout has virtually nothing to do with a sinkhole.

The downspouts, usually when the turn-down has been removed by the lawn guy, dumps all of the water at the corner of the house. Then, settlement occurs. Take away the water source and patch the cracks.
IN some severe cases, you may have to pressure-crete the area, but still, that is the end of it, in most cases.

Sorry…I thought you were a Home Inspector. no offence.

Thanx Eric…sometimes it’s fun to be a home inspector.

There are several signs you can watch for that may lead to the formation of a sinkhole:
Fresh exposure on fence posts, foundations and trees that result when the ground sinks
Slumping, sagging or slanting fence posts, trees or other objects
Doors and windows that fail to close properly
Ponding: Small ponds of rainfall forming where water has not collected before
Wilting of small, circular areas of vegetation, because the moisture that normally supports vegetation in the area is draining into a developing sinkhole below the surface
Turbidity in water in nearby wells
Structural cracks in walls, floors and pavement
Cracks in the ground surface.

Another sign:
Sinkhole

From what I have seen the so called “sink hole inspection” is more of an existing conditions report. Nothing Geotech about it

From what I have seen the so called “sink hole inspection” is more of an existing conditions report. Nothing Geotech about it

Why call it a “sinkhole inspection” then, Bruce? In my humble opinion, no GC, HI or even a structural engineer is qualified to conduct a sinkhole inspection. If the name of the report is “Sinkhole Inspection”, how do you classify any depression in the ground? Is it from a downspout, a broken plumbing pipe, a sprinkler head or what? As routine, a HI would report undermining of the slab or obvious visual depressions in the soil and possible refer for further investigation; but, we should never call them “sinkholes”. As Eric pointed out, we may even contribute soil loss or foundation undermining to a downspout but again, we should always stop short of naming a sinkhole. Again, this is my opinion, but we are overstepping the bounds of our qualifications otherwise.

That was the whole reason for the quotation marks. This sink hole inspection is not just that:D