Commercial and Industrial Inspectors:

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Commercial and Industrial Inspectors:

How are you handling this?

Quote:
110.16 Flash Protection.

Switchboards, panelboards, industrial control panels, meter socket enclosures, and motor control centers that are in other than dwelling occupancies and are likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall be field marked to warn qualified persons of potential electric arc flash hazards.

The marking shall be located so as to be clearly visible to qualified persons before examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance of the equipment.

FPN No. 1: NFPA 70E-2004, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, provides assistance in determining severity of potential exposure, planning safe work practices, and selecting personal protective equipment.

FPN No. 2: ANSI Z535.4-1998, Product Safety Signs and Labels, provides guidelines for the design of safety signs and labels for application to products.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

I write it up on every job that I look at. I personally think it is a bad code rule, but it isn’t my job to say that. I just write it up and always include the reference of 110.16 so the installer can read the code text, which is pretty descriptive.

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Since the reference to the ANSI standard is just a FPN and not enforceable they can just write “look out for the arc flash buddy, there’s a buttload of amps in here” with a Sharpie pen and be hold your nose compliant.

I would only require that the notice be visible, legible, permanent and reasonably convey the danger in a manner that a qualified person could understand.

This is the kind of problem companies like Avery fix for us. If the arc flash labels are sitting on the counter at the supply house, maybe with a company <advertising> logo on them, installers will start using them.

(perhaps TOO often)

We may end up with a worse problem, Label clutter.

When you get too many warning labels, some not even applicable, you have people not reading them.