Commercial inspection needed in San Antonio.

I called the TREC a couple years ago about an apartment building, they told me anything with more than 4 units was free game.

That’s what I recall as well.

If the Texas association Nolan belongs to is TAREI then he is back in nachi. :slight_smile:

George…it is not. Besides, belonging to TAREI does not automatically make you a member of INACHI.

DD & NG,

Both on same page and correct observations.

However, this is getting to the crux of my initial push with RW for backup of anecdotal statements.

TREC has always specified 1-4 family dwellings as their span of control.

Getting specific about ‘commerical’ is quite vague.

Go back to MB’s post #10 and click into John Cahill’s SOP-RFI site and review the RFI that Mike had submitted and got an opinion on from TREC. It just adds to the confusion or the seemingly constant shifting of views/opinions from TREC. The jurisdiction matrix is quite amazing as there is little in the TREC rules when it comes to addressing many of the areas TREC indicates control over.

I swear that if five people called TREC with the same question you will likely NOT get the same precise answer. Depends upon who is answering the question or maybe even who is asking the question. I can’t figure it out and I’m not sure anyone has a great handle on it.

Again … many of the questions are exceedingly simple to answer, but my answer (even if I have code or industry standard or manufacturer’s requirements as backup) won’t mean a thing in a dispute or other legal situation where TREC has “their” opinion.

Ergo … my push for “back-up” from the TREC Rules.

Cahill is way ahead of me on this … I’m just a car in that train trying to help keep it moving and for the TX HIs to become well aware of the world we are working in today.

Cheers,

Nolan Kienitz
www.NolansInspections.com
D/FW

Yes.

TREC’s assertion of its jurisdiction does appear to be experiencing scope creep. What was expressed a few years ago, or even a few weeks ago, may not reflect TREC’s self-perception today. Although the disparity may have more to do with who is representing TREC’s perspective than the timing…

Nolan, I don’t foresee TREC giving you much trouble for not using their required residential SOP on a commercial inspection. That would be pretty silly. Furthermore, TREC has already approved our commercial inspection course which is based solely on the International Standards of Practice for Inspecting Commercial Properties.

Now, regarding that other matter, get back over here to InterNACHI. We need you.

LOL after 48 years you’d think I’d have learned about shooting off my mouth!!! Correction noted Mike.