"Commercial Inspection Prerequisite Course"

On an commercial property inspection recently this lintel was not installed properly. The engineered drawings for the building were available at the time of inspection. Upon a closer look in the drawings, it was evident that this lintel was to proceed thru the brick wall and be welded to a column. This was an inspection of a new building. It just goes to show you that just because it’s new doesn’t mean it’s right.

I completed reading of 2 articles for this course.

Cisterns.
I learned that cisterns were not only used for non potable water but for potable. I agree with the fact that cisterns used in this manner need to be inspected on a regular basis. Debris from all likes can enter the system making it unfit for human consumption.

Foreclosure Inspections: Trust your gut.

It is true that foreclosure inspections are a guaranteed day of fun. You never know what you will find. Most of the foreclosure homes that I have inspected will have the usual inspection report items, but some of these homes, as the article states have been left vandalized by former owners in retaliation. Some homes would be fine if not for this destruction.

I was inspecting the circuit breaker box. What I found is 1 circuit breaker appears to be double tapped, and on the ground neutral bar one of the wires the top of the bar the white wire is not inserted all the way and appears to have a arc spot on the wire .

I choose the AFCI tester
Now that I have read the article i now have a complete understanding of the tester and how it works. I agree that that this type of test is very important for the safety of the client.

In this photo of a typical deck guardrail system please note that guardrail height of 36" along with picket spacing of 4" or less and bottom of rail system of 4" or less from deck floor has all been accomplished and is compliant with accepted standards. The 6"x6" guardrail post however has been face nailed to the floor of the deck which is adverse to commonly accepted standards as it relates to the guardrail systems ability to resist lateral loads.

001.JPG

The bedroom has newer winnows installed. There is a vertical slider along with a picture window. They are double pane and stamped as low E.

ELECTRICAL PANNEL INSPECTION
There is inherent danger when it comes to electrical panel inspections. With a few precautions most of these dangers can be mitigated. Be aware of your surroundings. Ask yourself does the panel appear damaged in any way? Is it wet or rusty? Do i have a clear path of escape in case it is needed?
There are several things to look for when inspecting the service panel. Check that the panel has adequate clearance. When removing the face take notice that the proper screws are being used. Check the breakers to ensure proper size and look for aluminium branch wiring. Look for damage oxidation or corrosion on any parts. Be especially conscious to look for any signs of water damage or possible water intrusion

SMOKE ALARM INSPECTION

Smoke alarms are a valuable safety feature of a home but only if installed, maintained and used properly. There are two main types of alarms. Ionization, which is set off when a current flow is interrupted by smoke entering a chamber. The second is photoelectric, It works on the principal of the smoke breaking a light beam to set off the alarm. Location is important to the effectiveness of a fire alarm. A smoke alarm should be installed in or close to sleeping areas. The basement and garage are also good places to install a smoke alarm. It is also recommended than an alarm be installed on each level of the home.

The following concerns were found during the inspection.
There is evidence of leakage in several areas and evidence of past repairs. However, the entire roof system should be evaluated by a licensed commercial roofing contractor and repair plan developed due to following conditions

Active roof leaks are present at the canopy at the right side of building. Damage to the structure is occurring as a result. Cracking of rubber membrane roof covering is occurring at roof drain in this location. Current conditions will water intrusion to occur. Evidence suggest that the gravel has been removed / pushed away from areas to try and repair roof leaks. Once roof leaks have been repaired gravel should be replaced to protect roof coverings from UV damage. Repairs are needed.

[LIST=2]
[/LIST]Gravel missing several areas, as a result exposed rubber membrane roof is present. Once roof leaks have been repaired gravel should be replaced to protect roof coverings from UV damage.

We recommend contacting a licensed commercial roofing contractor regarding these conditions for further evaluation and have repairs made as deemed appropriate…

Build Bat House

Not sure who in there right mind would want to build a bat house. Yes bats have there intended purpose for the environment, however recommending to built a bat house above a garage or any residential structure is not advisable as bats carry diseases. I have found bats like to live in attic and have had multiple discussions regarding the problems with bat living in our homes. One house in Spencer, NC got condemned due to the number of bats living in the attic of the home. The realtor involved lost her license as she told the client they did not need an inspection.

Electric cover plate was missing from the electrical box located next to the garage door. The outlet was GFCI protected, however no label was present indicating the protection.

A Garage Inspection.

I am all to familiar with roof truss modifications and the required documentation if any modifications have been made to the trusses, including trusses damaged during the delivery or installation when the home is being constructed.

The unloading process for roof trusses on a job site is quite brutal and often times the lower trusses will break under the load of the upper trusses when they are delivered to the job site.

Once that happens the builder will need to obtain a certified repair sheet from the manufacturer and submit this to the county inspector during the framing inspection.

Bottom line, get your certs and keep them on file!

This is a Temperature Pressure Relief Valve discharge pipe. It was in the way of the air conditioner pad. Why let that stop you? There is not an alternative discharge in place. This is one of 6 of these in a 6 building multi family complex. There are also 2 pipes on the front and 2 on the back of each building that are buried in the dirt. Each building has 5 discharge pipes and 16 water heating units.

On a recent residential inspection, the gutters, downspouts and extensions were all in excellent condition. The site grading surpassed minimum requirements for slope. In summary, the drainage system for the house was in good condition.

ipad pics 10-7-15 042.JPG

Completion of Commercial Inspection Pre-Requisite Course – Written Article II
Saving Energy In your Home

After having read this article from the INTERnachi library, I find that I have completed many of the 10 improvements sighted in the article. To date I have completed the ceiling fan installation, programmable thermostat installation, replacement of incandesant lights, and window, door, and stormdoor replacements.

However the one that has taken the most time and human energy is the air sealing of my home. Today, I am currently going through the house trying to locate and mitigate the “air leaks”. I have recently completed fixing an air leak in my kitchen sink cabinets and dishwasher area and will continue the basement/sill plate air sealing operation that I was unable to complete last winter. I anticipate seeing a reduction in my energy bills sometime during the 2016 winter heating season.

Completion of Commercial Inspection Pre-Requisite Course - Written Article II

15 Tools Every Homeowner Should Have

After having read this article, I have every one of the tools in my “tool bucket”. However, I was very surprised that several power tools were missing from the list. I consider two power tools absolute essentials for small repairs around the house. One is a cordless drill with the speed drill bits for screw driver operations along with the speed drill set of bits. My 18 volt cordless has paid for itself many times over in the amount of time it saves for installing improvements and making repairs around my home.

The second power tool that I have come to use recently is my oscillating cutting tool. It is fast, safe, and versatile for the minor cutting, scrapping, filing, and grinding operations for the minor corrective jobs around the home. Recently, I have to remove a few laminate floor boards for a new dishwasher installation. The tedious cutting operation to remove one of the floor boards was made very simple after striking a cut line to remove the grove in the board. I look forward to continuing to use this most useful power tool.

since i do not have acess to a commercial building .i will give you a for instance of a water heater vent pipe with its required one quarter inch rise per foot.for proper instulation

IMG_0100.JPG

There are three HVAC systems servicing the building. The one on the north did not work in the heat mode. It may require repair or replacement. Two of the HVAC units appear to be original equipment to the building. I was unable to get info off the ID stickers due to fading. They are beyond their design life. The one listed on the right is a 2002 Heil model. Recommend further evaluation/repair by qualified HVAC contractor(s).

IMG_0101.JPG

This is a photo of a Fire Door Rating Label on a rated fire door. The Door Label is clearly visible & Legible . The label on the Frame has been painted and is not clearly visible or legible. If painted again, It could be impossible to read the information on the label. Care needs to be taken in the paint removal process which could damage the label.

A new door label would have to be provide by the door manufacture, if the label is damaged beyond legibility.

IMG.jpg

IMG.jpg

Writing assignment 1.
Article: Personal Safety at a Commercial Property

I originally thought that this was specifically for commercial inspectors however it was a more general article about personal safety. Although not specifically for commercial inspectors the same suggestions covered can apply to them as well when visiting during a commercial inspection.

The suggestions in the article include: Locking up your vehicle. This makes sense as you will possibly be hundreds of feet away during an inspection. Next, make sure that there is adequate lighting in the parking facility, as an inspector it would be wise to make sure you have a powerful light with you just in case there isn’t enough lighting when you are performing your inspection or there is a power failure while you are performing the inspection. Also, make sure to be extra cautious around Stairs and Walkways and be careful of obstructions or items stored on stairs. Next they mention security systems as an inspector these shouldn’t be a major concern but you should still make sure that you are securing any parts of a building that you are un-securing for your inspection, it only makes sense. And lastly, be alert be aware of your surroundings and look out for threats and hazards during your inspection.

Writing assignment Article 2

Occupancy Load Signs

We refer to them most often as Maximum Occupancy signs because that it the wording on them we read when they are displayed properly. They display the safe limit of the number of people who can occupy a building at a time based on the size and features of a building. Exceeding this number can end in tragedy if there is a fire or other emergency. Many people have died in accidents in part because these safety limits established were ignored.
When inspecting for Occupancy Load signs there are four main things to consider. First is the sign present at all? Second, has the sign been maintained? Third, is the sign clear and legible? Fourth, is the sign in a suitable location so that it can be clearly seen?
To calculate the Maximum Occupancy load you need to know the function of the space as this impacts the floor area in square feet per occupant. For the full chart go to http://www.nachi.org/occupancy-load-signs.htm