Commercial Inspections

Originally Posted By: jruddy
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m getting more requests all the time to do apartment buildings and other commercial inspections. Wondering how some of you might be pricing your inspections?

I usually charge a flat fee on residential and then add for extras such as WDI,radon and septic.

On large apartments it might make sense to charge a % of the selling price, like 1/2 of 1%.

Would appreciate any input.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Sent you an email

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jruddy

Thanks for the input Kevin.

Originally Posted By: ddelaney

I feel that we, as inspectors, should have no purpose even knowing the sale price of a property. Firstly, it would be like punishing a buyer for buying in an area where the market is more active. And, if two buildings are the same size, with the same contents, why would you want to charge a lesser price for the one in the less desirable area. I’ve always felt my time is worth the same money, no matter what i’m doing.

Just an opinion, though.

Dave, Certified Home Inspections, Morgantown, WV

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Not all same sized buildings have the same stuff inside!

I am doing two houses the same size in the same city. One house is 1/2 again more expensive. It's not just location...

I have access to the MLS and I still don't get enough info on the house to set a good price before I get there.

Guess what, the house I'm charging less for took almost 4 hours to write the report! I hope the one tomorrow is not that bad. I'm not lowering my price if it's better though!

I won't do those $179 inspections. They take just as long to inspect and longer to report on. (I do them, but not for $179) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

dandersen wrote:
Not all same sized buildings have the same stuff inside!

I am doing two houses the same size in the same city. One house is 1/2 again more expensive. It's not just location...

:

You are correct it's location, location, location.

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello