Commercial Wind Mits

What kinds of buildings are not allowed to be inspected by home inspectors? Is there a height restriction?

3 or more floors requires a different form and different license type to perform.

Bert

Must have a building or general license.

Hmm… I’m doing a 3 story condo complex where the insurance company has asked for the 1802 form.

I think you may be correct. It may be 4 or more stories and what John mentions. I can’t remember right now exactly but it may well be 4 or more. If they’re asking for the 1802 then give them that.

Bert

If you are doing the building they will usually ask for the MIT form, if you are doing a unit they will ask for the 1802, usually. Sometimes the agent doesn’t understand. We to wind mits for many of the large complexes in my area. We have done as many as 120 buildings at a time. I am currently working on 21 buildings. We are getting them retrofitted before we write them.

Thanks

The 1802 is designed for buildings with less than 4 stories. The statute actually requires OIR to create a single use form for all residential dwelling units but there are some real issues with trying to create a single form for all types of buildings because the opening protection requirements would be very difficult.

In spite of that companies are using the 1802 for any type building and you just have to mark one or more openings are unprotected if there are any openings that are not at least 9 lb missile and cyclic pressure rated. THe only company that I know that specifically require the CIT BT is Citizens and they do place restrictions on who can sign that form.

non-glazed opening are not required to be impact rated outside of the HVHZ.

That form is still the MIT II and III form which can only be signed off by

MIT II and III:

• A Florida-licensed general or building contractor
  • A Florida-certified building code inspector or building code official (who is authorized by the state of Florida or its counties’ municipalities to verify building code compliance)
  • A Florida-licensed professional engineer
  • A Florida-licensed professional architect
  • A Florida-licensed roofing contractor (for roofing mitigation

Commercial Windstorm Protective Device Proof of Compliance (WPD-1C)

• A Florida-certified building code inspector or building code official (who is authorized by the state of Florida or its counties’ municipalities to verify building code compliance)

• A Florida-licensed professional engineer

• A Florida-licensed professional architect

• A duly designated regulations and code “qualifier” for a manufacturing company

I wish Home Inspectors could sign off on the CIT BT MIT II and III form, alot of condos in my area. What BT form are you talking about??

You got the right ones, Shawn. That’s what Darius meant. Those are old forms that haven’t been updated since 2008, which is why only Citizens uses them.:roll: