Community wide problem

Originally Posted By: dfrend
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

First a little history. The local city of Bowie is a typical “burb” all the houses look the same(3 different styles) and although the street layout is a maze, they all share common things. One of those is that to make the street side look better, the power lines were run behind the houses. The houses back up to one another so the service poles usually end up in someones backyard, sometimes on city property though. The houses are about 50 years old now.

The problem comes when the house back up to a hill, particularly when they are on top of the hill. I never realized this problem when I did insurance work there, but now that I have done two inspections in last week there, I have found what seems to be pretty common. The power company knows about this. What are your thoughts on this?

![](upload://bNsxDHOJOcaGri6PghEKpsekkYU.jpeg)

This was the other day, the bottom line was about 5 feet off ground at hilltop (went down hill to pole). It is a cable line. The top was at most 8 feet at the hill top. It is the main service line.

![](upload://euACgV2HSNQOSZXCuWXt3Kg3W0d.jpeg)

This one is a power line actually touching the top of the 6 foot fence. Could not tell where it goes down to since it should come from the area of the transformer in the background because of a ton of brush covering the area, including the transformer.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: jsavino

Daniel

What did the utility co. say? Would they sign off on this as a safe condition?
I had a service problem on evening (about 11:30 PM)where my customer call me that there was no heat. When I got to the house the lights were on. So I go to the boiler and start my work to get the heat running again.
No power to the burner. To make a long story short, the problem was at the mast head. Half the house had no power.One leg was sepertated from the block at the mast. I called my the utitlity co. they told me a crew would be there in the morning. This was not exceptable. It took four calls to the utility to get a crew there that night by telling them there is children in the house. Call the area supperviser of the utility co.

I would document it on your report, that you feel this is a hazard.

John

Forgot to spell check.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I see this all too often. It’s very common in the “older” cities.

![](upload://hAXQZ7EuNEIt6itw2zvs0lXYb9.jpeg)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dbowers

We’re not repair guys or the local code authority, so whats to say except something like:

"Trees or shrubs are rubbing on the main electrical power lines and can damage them, cause power outage, or be a safety hazard. RContact the local power company or a licensed and qualified electrician for repair".

Then get onto the next inspection.

Originally Posted By: jpope

My standard recommendations states;

Service wires touch trees. This is a safety hazard - correction is needed. Contact local utility company for repairs.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dfrend

I too simply stated in both cases that this was a serious seafety concern, and passed my concern on directly during the inspection to stress that in my opinion, they need to address this with the utility company. Believe me I stressed it. If some dimwit teenager decides to see how hig he can jump or some kid wants to climb something and use it as a zip line, I will know I warned them. But the one line was recently repaired by the utility company after Hurrican Isabel and that is how they left it. HOW can that be?

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Daniel

The problem no one cares, until its to late! Cover your butt!!
In January a women was electrocuted when she stepped on a manhole cover while walking her dogs in NYC. This past weak, a man walking his dog, dog gets shocked when it stepped on a steel basement door on sidewalk. The hole sidewalk was hot after it rained. You don't have to be a dim-wited teenager.

John

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

This is a NESC problem not a NEC violation.

Call your PUCO (Public Utility Commission), if the utility does not act.

Mike P.