Compact Fluorescent bulb causing power "blips"?

Originally Posted By: rlind
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a question for all the “Sparkies” out there:

Can the use of compact fluorescent light bulbs in a residential light fixture cause intermittent power "blips" that affect not only the fixture containing the complact fluorescent bulb, but also items plugged into receptacles downstream?

I have heard from a few people that claim the ballast in the compact fluorescent bulb can cause such intermittent blips to occur.

Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks,

Ron

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

How many "R"s in urban legend?

There may be some harmonics you could see on a spectrum analyser but I doubt it would ever show up in anything you normally use..

Yoiu can cerainly have a bad connection there but that would show up with a regular bulb too.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

Ron, i’m not a sparky but i do know that one of those light fixtures can cause a 120vac smoke allarm on the same cercuit to either chirp or actualy go off, but that’s only if there is a bad bulb in the fixture. hope that helps. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: brian winkle

I once installed some remote controlled ceiling fans with light kits, the kind where the remote controls the fan speed and also dims the light. The homeowner put compact fluourescents in them. When you shut the lights off, they would start to “blip” every 15 seconds or so, that is they would flash ever so slightly. I told them it was because of the dimmer, besides you are not supposed to dim fluourescent lights without a dimming ballast. Well they said the old fan had CFs in it for years with a dimmer, no problems. So we switched the CFs around and sure enough, now the old fan began to “blip”. I believe the dimmer still allowed a small amount of current to pass, which had a capacitive action on the one brand of CFs. This “blip” would no doubt cause noise on the line, affecting electronic equipment on the same line.

I would assume ine input capacitor in the switcher accumulates enough charge from the sliver that sneaks through an “off” dimmer to finally trigger the bulb but is quickly discharged. You would never see that with a filiment.

IAEI magazine had a warning article a while ago about things that are “off” but still conducting some current.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

All the dimmers I installed in my home had stamped right on the sides that it for incandescent lamps only.

Originally Posted By: Thomas Ogryski

I know that electronic ballasts can have a very high inrush current and can cause very short duration power fluctuations when they are turned on. For example, the electronic ballast in my kitchen fixture will almost always cause the alarm in my UPS to beep when the light is turned on.

I've never taken a CF lamp apart, but if it does its current regulation with electronics, it would be possible to cause a power line disturbance that is noticeable.

Tom